Miami Dolphins' New Logo

imaprince

I really like the spiky sun in the official dolphins logo.

I'm not a huge fan of the sun you've used Skape7, and I disagree with your comments about the perspective and how the dolphin looks at smaller sizes. At smaller sizes, it still screams dolphins, even if you can't quite see all the detail.

The 3/4 perspective was required to keep the dolphin relatively close to the sunburst and not too wide, and the way the fins are positioned etc makes it obvious that that was the intention, even at small sizes.

I think it's a big upgrade over the cartoon dolphin and will be quite popular after it settles in as our logo.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new sun reminded me of this:

7m4zusiv01tferlljpb976pqu.gif

...but after finding it, not so much. Still, this logo + current Marlins + former Dolphins logo sort of = the new one. It sure does seem to draw at least some inspiration from Marlins ideas, and not the particularly good ones, IMO.

Its a logo... It shouldn't be a photo realistic illustration, it should be a symbol.

That's blasphemy around here, son. In these parts, a logo has to be fierce, modern, and most importantly, as realistic looking as possible. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Its a logo... It shouldn't be a photo realistic illustration, it should be a symbol.

That's blasphemy around here, son. In these parts, a logo has to be fierce, modern, and most importantly, as realistic looking as possible. B)

I would never call the sunburst a photorealistic illustration. I also think that the new one better represents a sun than the old one, and just fits better with the logo.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I would never call the sunburst a photorealistic illustration. I also think that the new one better represents a sun than the old one, and just fits better with the logo.

foghorn-leghorn-meme-generator-its-a-joke-son-a-joke-712f6e.jpg?1312502024.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Its a logo... It shouldn't be a photo realistic illustration, it should be a symbol. The new sunburst is just not balanced right and doesn't compliment the new dolphin well.

I never said that it should be realistic. I just think that the new sunburst works better. I couldn't care less whether it is "fierce, modern, or realistic". To me, the old one just looks like something off of my old bicycle.

"I say, I say, son..."

haha, quoted the wrong one. Meant to respond to Skape.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

To those who miss the helmet...

9bb4aedf-ed9e-45c0-b360-3be76dba27f1_zpsabe05a2d.jpg

:)

Oh my god. No. Kill it with fire.

I like the helmet but this Dolphin has jumped & threw his head back & the helmet went a flying at least thats how I see it.

I like the sun except I wish the inside looked like the old one & the outside looked like the new one.

The old one is much thicker which I thinks balances the logo more.

I would have like to seen this. I fixed the eye & made the sun thicker very small changes but to me would have made this much better

MiamiDolphins_zps5e22b4c0.png

Wow, the new dolphin logo would have been so much better with the old sunburst!

i4lmkw.jpg

Courtesy of Pasquale on Finheaven.com

I disagree.

That sunburst looks more like a sprocket.

I agree, as someone who hated the sun at first, I honestly think its the best sun. Its the most realistic if that makes sense

I think it's bias on your part, Skape.

The new logos fine. The contrast of the angular sunburst with the flowing lines of the actual dolphin are much better than yours.

Point for the new [/nostalgiacritic]

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think the new logo is alright. It's gonna take a little time for me to really associate it with the team tho. I'm one of those people that don't think every logo/mascot has to be intimidating, so I'm gonna miss the charm of the helmeted dolphin.

I like the helmet but this Dolphin has jumped & threw his head back & the helmet went a flying at least thats how I see it.

I like the sun except I wish the inside looked like the old one & the outside looked like the new one.

I would have like to seen this. I fixed the eye & made the sun thicker very small changes but to me would have made this much better

This is much better! You fixed 2 of my gripes with the logo, the eye and the sun.

By making the sun thicker, it works.

Heyyya everyone- I've sat back and enjoyed this thread for a while (I've actually read the whole thing a few times) and finally feel compelled to contribute...I hope I'm not interrupting...I kinda feel like I've just been sitting behind a group of ppl and listening to their whole conversation and now I'm ready to parachute myself right into the middle of their convo...I respect everyone's opinions over the new logos, design, etc., and I completely understand that no matter if you came out with a 99.999% brilliant, classic, timeless, FAST, modern, vintage, FIERCE, and of course, SLEEK logo/uniform redesign, there will ALWAYS be a group of people that don't approve...so I guess success(es) in this realm of the sports industry are achieved by acquiring approval, or you could even say, that not creating disapproval could be seen a moderately successful campaign in today's age.

If nothing else, these events are fun to follow (obviously everyone here appreciate aesthetics, to some extent- and I don't ever think I could fathom being the kind of person that truly doesn't care what the logo/ uniform look like...Each time a team's logos, colors, uniforms, etc appear- it is constantly being defined and given a unique identity, like evolving, in our minds...so, these "aesthetic" things become very important in establishing branding, personality, tradition and all that- even if it is subconsciously or sometimes unconsciously (like when you fall asleep while eating pizza, and the next morning, that pizza has become a part of you. There could be worse things...(of course, I'm 29 and already 3/4 pizza, 1/4 human)

...and I don't think I can vote in favor of the new logo...I think it looks good enough by itself (and maybe the uni's will tie everything together) but, I was looking at the older logo side-by-side with the new one and the best way I can sum it up is that it lacks character...Sure the old one was kinda cheeky at first glance, but that's also what made it cool...The modernization feels kinda cold, by comparison...like a good friend that just got married to a woman who doesn't like you. I'm tryin' to warm up to this dolphin, but my advances have been thwarted so far. I assume it will grow on me as I continue to see it, but for now, it reminds me of a logo used on a movie about football so that there are no copyright violations...generic, in a way, I guess. But, like I said, the logo looks good...I just don't love it for the Miami Dolphins.

Ok. That was my super intense intro. Glad to have joined the debate (if that's cool?) Gotta go fill my spaghetti house.

...it reminds me of a logo used on a movie about football so that there are no copyright violations...generic, in a way, I guess.

That's an excellent analogy, along with the ones that compared it to a logo for a Florida tourist attraction. All the variations of the Dolphins helmet dating back to the beginning have always been among my favorites in the league, but no longer. Furthermore, the de-emphasis on the orange is a travesty. A modernization of a classic look, kinda like Buffalo did, would have been perfect.

This is much better! You fixed 2 of my gripes with the logo, the eye and the sun.

By making the sun thicker, it works.

Yeah the color balance is better & the eye as it is not right at all on the new one I think this is better but probably could be fleshed out more.

Plus I think this will help make the sun more clearer at smaller scales but hey what do I know I am not a professional.

Archived