New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more and more I see the new Vikings uniforms, the more and more I hate the Old ones..... 2006-2012 versions ( except Farve's #4 Vikings Jersey)

I love to wear the good old #4 to upset Packer Backers... all good though. I'll do much of the same for Jennings as I am ordering is #15 but that is not the same as Jennings is not a HOF (and he is not #85). As you know in the NFL, players enter the HOF as a Player inductee unlike baseball in which they enter as a player and the team he wants to have on his plaque.

6hrq0k.png

What are everyone's guesses on the single numeral jerseys? Will they have the "sail design"?

Don't mind it really at all. I like how it fits, but on a single numeral it will just look out of place to me.

So you think having two different fonts for the first and second digits of two digit-numbers looks good? I still don't understand this design choice. Absolutely befuddling IMHO.

What are everyone's guesses on the single numeral jerseys? Will they have the "sail design"?

Don't mind it really at all. I like how it fits, but on a single numeral it will just look out of place to me.

So you think having two different fonts for the first and second digits of two digit-numbers looks good? I still don't understand this design choice. Absolutely befuddling IMHO.

It's a blunder much like removing the helmet from the Doplhin logo. Also, the horrid Jags helmet? Nike F**** UP on those parts. I am getting used to the numbers and I am very happy overall!

Hell Nike could have removed the Horns on the Helmets so I am cool about the changes.

6hrq0k.png

Clever one-liners aside, I don't understand the mockery of people who are examining the photos and trying to extrapolate the elements of the final Vikings uniform design. Everyone was eager to whip up concepts and speculate based on 3 inch segments of the uniform shown in the teasers, staged videos of Jared Allen, and extremely vague quotes. But now that we have actual pictures of the actual uniforms, we shouldn't "investigate" these images? Doesn't add up.

That said, here is what we know:

1) We have seen a photgraph of a reflected image of the home jersey that strongly suggests there will be some tapering / flaring of the white shoulder stripe. The distortion of the reflection makes it difficult to determine the exact shape of this stripe, but it is virtually certain that the striping does not continue in the same skinny-parallel-line fashion as shown in the teaser.

screenshot20130423at224.pngcCODEzS.jpgShoulder_Stripes.jpg

As long as we are on the nautical theme and thinking the numbers might look like the sails of a viking's ship, does any one else think that the up curved stripe looks like the hull of a viking ship? Just say'n.

Hey, at least they didn't use papyrus font.

But honestly, if the sail design font was on the second number it would look terrible. Like its leading to no where. I like it on the first number because its somewhat transitioning or connecting to the next. Don't get me wrong though, I would muchhhhh rather have a typical font used. I'm just counting the blessings on this.

Nike could've also changed our colors to lime green, safety orange, and pink. But just because they didn't doesn't mean I should have to accept their silly dual-font numbering system. I really hope that this number design is dropped in a few years. I think I will hold off on buying my authentic purple AP in the hopes that it happens.

Still very excited for tomorrow night's unveiling. It will be nice to get a detailed look at the helmet and tapered striping patterns.

It's a blunder much like removing the helmet from the Doplhin logo. Also, the horrid Jags helmet? Nike F**** UP on those parts. I am getting used to the numbers and I am very happy overall!

Hell Nike could have removed the Horns on the Helmets so I am cool about the changes.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed about those numbers, but I have to say, they are actually growing on me the more I look at it. Not a deal breaker for me any longer. Just glad we didnt get jag style helmets.

It's weird. It's like Nike feels the need to make their numbers "interlock" with one another. The Jags uniform kind of had something similar go on. Another example of Nike over-design.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

But honestly, if the sail design font was on the second number it would look terrible. Like its leading to no where. I like it on the first number because its somewhat transitioning or connecting to the next. Don't get me wrong though, I would muchhhhh rather have a typical font used. I'm just counting the blessings on this.

I can follow this argument, but don't agree with it. I don't see the "sail" design as leading to anywhere. Its just a couple of spikey serifs added to the right side of the number. I think it would look fine on both digits.

What I think will look absolutely terrible is numbers like 22, 33, etc. where you will have two of the same numbers with different fonts placed directly beside one another. That, IMO, will look jarring and very unfinished. And its particularly upsetting because I was planning on buying a Harrison Smith (#22) jersey tomorrow.

As far as I can tell, Nike hasn't even used this dual-font treatment at the college level. I am surprised (but perhaps shouldn't be, gvien the '06 redesign disaster) that the Vikings allowed Nike to introduce this concept for the first time on their uniforms. It certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it is far and away my least favorite part of the jersey and that seems to be an opinion shared by the majority of the fanbase - or at least those who care enough to have an opinion on number fonts.

Here's my super-pixelated blurry-reflection hypothesis. At first I could see the upturned white stripe amidst the face of Jesus and Chewbacca, yadda yadda.

However, I think it may be the overlap of the road jersey in the reflection. This shows the original, both jerseys, then just the home, and just the road:

screenshot20130423at224.pngvikingsboth.jpgvikingshome.jpgvikingsroad.jpg

This, then, makes me think that it will end up looking like OSV's concept...which would be a GREAT thing.

Not by any means, does this mean ANYTHING. But it's fun to speculate until tomorrow!

I think I can see the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll...

There's a good chance that horn flares out to a sail. :P

I can follow this argument, but don't agree with it. I don't see the "sail" design as leading to anywhere. Its just a couple of spikey serifs added to the right side of the number. I think it would look fine on both digits.

What I think will look absolutely terrible is numbers like 22, 33, etc. where you will have two of the same numbers with different fonts placed directly beside one another. That, IMO, will look jarring and very unfinished. And its particularly upsetting because I was planning on buying a Harrison Smith (#22) jersey tomorrow.

As far as I can tell, Nike hasn't even used this dual-font treatment at the college level. I am surprised (but perhaps shouldn't be, gvien the '06 redesign disaster) that the Vikings allowed Nike to introduce this concept for the first time on their uniforms. It certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it is far and away my least favorite part of the jersey and that seems to be an opinion shared by the majority of the fanbase - or at least those who care enough to have an opinion on number fonts.

I too wanted a Harrison Smith Jersey. The second two wouldnt be so bad if they just rounded the bottom part of the two so it fit better. As for second numbers, Nike has done it before, most recently with the Cal Bears. With theirs the image of a bear appears across both numbers...

http://www.calbears.com/ot/unifythebears_uniforms.html

2_cal_uni_600_zps4e0caec9.jpg

But that's just a different (or, the continion of a) graphic sumbliminated on the numbers. The number font itself is the same for the first and second digit. But this example is probably the closest thing we've seen to a team using two separate fonts for the first and second digit. Can anyone think of other examples?

But that's just a different (or, the continion of a) graphic sumbliminated on the numbers. The number font itself is the same for the first and second digit. But this example is probably the closest thing we've seen to a team using two separate fonts for the first and second digit. Can anyone think of other examples?

Does Oregon count since their numbers are slanted outward in either direction?

IIRC, someone posted their number sheet earlier. It includes left, right and middle (single?) digits.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived