Montana State new logo

pops15

Pretty standard for a "big cat" school, but it's a solid identity package nonetheless. Though I hate that they use "M" for a monogram and not "MS" or "S."

Agreed on all points. Though I will add that I think this may be one of the better big cat logos out there.

i know i recently saw this somewhere. well, the M icon looks great. theres a ton of Ms out there but this one is unique in color and shape. very well done. the cat itself is OK. pretty standard college sports logo. i don't like the thin lines above the eye.

the type im not a fan of. MONTANA STATE is good enough, but not feeling the pairing of a second, thinner slab serif for the mascot. as a whole that seems too generic for me.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i know i recently saw this somewhere. well, the M icon looks great. theres a ton of Ms out there but this one is unique in color and shape. very well done. the cat itself is OK. pretty standard college sports logo. i don't like the thin lines above the eye.

the type im not a fan of. MONTANA STATE is good enough, but not feeling the pairing of a second, thinner slab serif for the mascot. as a whole that seems too generic for me.

i agree with you about the "M". It is distinctive from all the other M's out there. I wish they used the same or similar font for the wordmark with the cat. The cat face looks good, but nothing too memorable.

Dunno if anyone else has been to Bozeman, but out there they have the Montana State "M" made out of white rock on one of the mountain sides, so I guess someone's gonna have to go up there and move a few stones around... :P

m.jpg

This doesn't look like Davidson... Bosack, perhaps?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Here you go ... the good stuff.Montanastatebobcats_zps94ddbb52.jpgMSU014_zpsf90ceeb1.gif

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Dunno if anyone else has been to Bozeman, but out there they have the Montana State "M" made out of white rock on one of the mountain sides, so I guess someone's gonna have to go up there and move a few stones around... :P

m.jpg

i was in Bozeman last year passing through, but i never saw that. was on the look out for bear LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Pretty standard for a "big cat" school, but it's a solid identity package nonetheless. Though I hate that they use "M" for a monogram and not "MS" or "S."

Grizzly fans hate it too, that's why we do it. (Well, not really why, but it's a reason to keep doing it.)

There's a lot of history to the "M."

The school was originally "Agriculture College of the State of Montana" then Montana College of Agriculture and Mechanics. It wasn't until 1965 that it became officially Montana State University. Other nicknames I've heard used are "University of Bridger Bowl" (students, me included, back in my day, skip class to go skiing on a good powder day) and "Trout U" (which the University actually trademarked) in recognition of the blue-ribbon trout fishing in the area. Another one used fairly often is "The University of Yellowstone" due the the close proximity to the Park.

The block "M" on the mountain was originally installed in 1915. It's a popular hiking trail and visible throughout the Gallatin Valley. Follow the road around that mountain to Bridger Bowl for some great skiing.

Before 1961, the helmets featured a forward-facing "M" design sort of similar to the Michigan "wing." That was removed in favor of a plain Notre Dame-like gold dome for most of the 60s and 70s. In the 80s, we went more yellow than gold, with a blue "Cats" script on the side. That lasted until the 90s, when we went retro with a gold dome, then put our first iteration of the "flying bobcat" logo on the helmets, an era in which, frankly, nobody wants to remember. The team sucked.

When Coach Mike Kramer took over, he decided to ditch the helmet design and drew inspiration from the "M" on the hill. So in 2000, we started that tradition. We also started winning more, which is a good way for people to become fans of a new design. :)

So anyway, I'm passionate about my Bobcats, can you tell?

It's a popular hiking trail to go up to the M. I never took part in painting it when I was at school there, but my dad did back in the 1960s.

Agreed on all points. Though I will add that I think this may be one of the better big cat logos out there.

It is a nicely designed mark, but big cat logos are never effective (outside of the schools' immediate community) unless you incorporate some element of the schools' name (think Memphis' Tiger-M).

Go ahead... tell me who all these belong to. :P

panthers_d1_zpsd9bfdb10.png

At least in Montana State's case, their mascot is a prominent local animal, but that only makes me feel they missed a great opportunity to do something more unique and localized instead of churning out another big fierce kitty.

It is a nicely designed mark, but big cat logos are never effective (outside of the schools' immediate community) unless you incorporate some element of the schools' name (think Memphis' Tiger-M).

Go ahead... tell me who all these belong to. :P

panthers_d1_zpsd9bfdb10.png

At least in Montana State's case, their mascot is a prominent local animal, but that only makes me feel they missed a great opportunity to do something more unique and localized instead of churning out another big fierce kitty.

Top: Georgia State, Northern Illinois

Middle: Pitt, FIU

Bottom: Northern Iowa, UW-Milwaukee

That was honestly without looking them up. On a site like this, you would expect someone to know all of them off the top of their head :P

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived