2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Wait wait wait. Tell me I'm reading this wrong. If you retire TWELVE years before your contract is up, you still get paid for those 12 years? That can't be right.

Seems like he forfeits the balance of his contract, but the Devils are penalized $250K until 2025, according to capgeek.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll teach them for signing a guy to a big contract and then having him flake out and retire after two years. Docking them $250,000 a year for 12 years should really "recapture" the benefits the Devils stole. Because they stole so much, having some guy bail on them like this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I never trusted Kovalchuk, what a terrible move getting him will turn out to be for the Devils, they should have used the money they gave him and put it toward keeping Zach Parise.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Correction/Update: I was right (sort of). They don't have to pay his salary, but they will have $250K a year counted against the cap for the duration of the contract (until 2024-25).

Can't they just pay their 250k penalties in a few swift payments for a few years, by using up the free cap space? To get it over with as fast as they could...

So the KHL is undergoing rapid, far-flung expansion, overpaying for stars, and running without a salary cap? Well, this ought to get fun in the next few years.

Will we have a Donbass Donetsk relocation thread?

I saw, I came, I left.

Correction/Update: I was right (sort of). They don't have to pay his salary, but they will have $250K a year counted against the cap for the duration of the contract (until 2024-25).

Can't they just pay their 250k penalties in a few swift payments for a few years, by using up the free cap space? To get it over with as fast as they could...

Death on the Non-Installment Plan

I can't tell if that answers yes or no to my question.

Look at who posted it. It's neither, of course.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Devils aren't exactly in the best of financial situations right now.

Don't think they can speed up the penalty process to free up future cap space. Kinda defeats the purpose of punishing teams because of the contracts they hand out if they can pay them in bigger lump-sums.

So, apparently, Kovalchuk could earn $20 million in the KHL... PER. SEASON.

Alex Radulov earns $9.4M

I only I could skate...

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The Devils aren't exactly in the best of financial situations right now.

Which makes me think there's more to all of this then Kovalchuk wanting to go back to Russia.

My all time favorite Kovalchuk moment. Gonna miss him. He was my favorite player growing up. He carried the team, QB'd the powerplay, he did it all. Never blamed him for leaving ATL. Wish you the best Chuk.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Kovalchuk clowning Crosby, those great old Thrashers jerseys, *and* JP Dellacamera on the call? That's a five-star clip right there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not to mention a Marc Savard sighting. Poor dude.

Fleury's yellow pads are loud, even in 240p. I was glad to see Turco wearing those mustards for that brief Bruins stint and Curtis Sanford with that weird-ass shade of blue to match the Beej alts.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I just wanted to make a Celine reference.

And no, you can't re-negotiate terms of the CBA to fit your needs. If it says this is the formula, this is the formula. The end.

Kovalchuk clowning Crosby, those great old Thrashers jerseys, *and* JP Dellacamera on the call? That's a five-star clip right there.

One of the reasons I miss the Thrashers. He and Billy Jaffe might have been the most unwatched, underrated duo while they were together.

One of the reasons I miss the Thrashers. He and Billy Jaffe might have been the most unwatched, underrated duo while they were together.

Let's not forget about Dan Kamal on the radio. Listening him was so fun because he called it with such energy.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Archived