Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

In the final years of the Champ Car Series, it was unable to receive the same high-quality coverage it once had on ESPN/ABC. As a result, from 2002 until its end in 2008, coverage was split between SPEED, CBS, Spike, and NBC (with ESPN returning for the final season).

Starting in 2005, Champ Car itself started producing the broadcasts, and used a single unified graphics package for each channel.

NBC:

spacer.png

SPEED:

spacer.png

CBS:

spacer.png

By 2007, which was the final year of the sport before it reunited with IndyCar, the networks were allowed to use their own graphics again.

NBC’s were a repurposed version of the Sunday Night Football graphics they had introduced a few months earlier:

spacer.png

CBS’s were based on their NFL graphics as well:

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, FSUViking said:

Are we expecting FOX to stick with the "Super Bowl = new graphics" pattern this year?

I wouldn't be surprised if they do, but I figured this current scoreboard graphic would have awhile left in it (they've adapted the style into NASCAR broadcasts last year).

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

• 3 weeks later...

Random but I saw an NFL on FOX game from the 2003 preseason still using their 2002 graphics package.

Of course as we all know they radically changed their graphics starting week 1 of the NFL regular season.

spacer.png

Got me thinking nowadays broadcasters do not do that anymore lol, they change their graphics starting in the 1st game of the preseason (2017-2019 NFL on FOX graphics) or in the Super Bowl (their current comic book graphics as well as all of their counterparts at CBS & NBC)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Probably get more confirmation next week with the Rolex 24 but.... NBC might actually be transferring the SNF package to motorsports?

EDIT nvm that might've been a series created graphic because Rolex 24 qualifying has the usual graphics

From what im reading the roar graphics are last year's on that intentionally. The new ones will debut on NBC Saturday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Welp, Talk about all that for nothing.

I just tuned in a while ago to watch a little bit of the Rolex 24 when I woke up this morning, and I'm somewhat not surprised they didn't change it. Are they waiting for the Indycar season to start or for their portion of the NASCAR schedule? Or did someone higher up nix it? The world may never know...

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

8 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

I just tuned in a while ago to watch a little bit of the Rolex 24 when I woke up this morning, and I'm somewhat not surprised they didn't change it. Are they waiting for the Indycar season to start or for their portion of the NASCAR schedule? Or did someone higher up nix it? The world may never know...

My Money is on that last one

It was after PTI when they started talking about the Super Bowl. The team logos shown had like a fainted circle(s?) around them. I saw it like two days ago.

It could've been a limited time thing, but I'm pretty sure it was SportsCenter. Maybe I'll see if it shows again.