Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

On 10/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

NEW NBA ON ESPN/ABC GRAPHICS!

And a brand new theme

I think the song  song would decent it is wasn't trap or the main theme. Good bumper music, but not the main theme. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, cdreed said:

Still miffed that ESPN abandoned this theme...... It was so good...

https://youtu.be/fGLFnVPqyLE

Oh, for sure. I think it was a solid third behind their MLB and NHL themes (the siren SNF theme was garbage). The one they used for everything the first year and then sparingly for a few years after was also promising, if kind of inchoate: 

I remember them hanging on to this for pregame shows, NBA Nation, outros to break, stuff like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, cdreed said:

Still miffed that ESPN abandoned this theme...... It was so good...

https://youtu.be/fGLFnVPqyLE

I've always liked that theme. It gives off strong 2000s vibes, which I love, while also giving off major Basketball vibes in general.

That theme actually has an interesting history. It started out as the NBA on ABC theme for the 2002/03 season. ABC stopped using that theme after one season, switching to a new theme which would be used starting in the 2003/04 season and lasting until a few months ago, the 2021/22 season. ABC's old theme became the NBA on ESPN theme for the 2003/04-2005/06 seasons. When ABC Sports was killed in fall 2006, instead of ABC adopting the ESPN NBA theme, ESPN adopted the NBA on ABC's theme, again, also lasting until the 2021/22 season, now being replaced by their new crap song.

da0Lbhs.png

There was this NBA on ABC theme for a while there, which I totally forgot about:

What was the lifespan of that one? 2003-2006? 

Crazy that the Finals have been on ABC for 20 years but it still doesn't feel like a big property for them. 20 years and counting, yet Disney never quite figured out what to do with them the way NBC and Turner did.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

There was this NBA on ABC theme for a while there, which I totally forgot about:

What was the lifespan of that one? 2003-2006? 

Crazy that the Finals have been on ABC for 20 years but it still doesn't feel like a big property for them. 20 years and counting, yet Disney never quite figured out what to do with them the way NBC and Turner did.

I believe that theme was used by ESPN alongside the other theme before 2006. I don't know if ABC used it, maybe in 02/03 when they used the old old theme, but since 03/04, it's been the same theme for ABC until it just got replaced a few weeks ago.

da0Lbhs.png

They changed the NHL on Sportsnet theme last year and I missed it. 

It feels like they were like "what is the acceptable maximum amount of Rap Matlock we can do for hockey" and this is exactly how much Rap Matlock. You can have a little as long as an Imagine Dragons guy comes in and says something about "fighting for the thrill of the crowd" and then no one feels threatened.

14 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I mentioned that NBA 2K23 had retro graphics for it's Eras mode awhile back but I feel like I should mention that the game also has holiday graphics too. It's pretty cool and would be even cooler if this happened in real life.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-20-at-10-59-41-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-10-20-at-10-59-53-PM.pn

This reminds me of changing the date on my PS2 back in the day to holidays to get that presentation in Madden lol.

NBC regional networks revising some of the score bug. Score is side by side instead of stacked, and logos no longer accompanied with city abbreviations.

Also note that when Wizards are in their retro gear, the network also uses the retro color scheme. The Philadelphia version did not do that when the Phillies would break out their throwbacks on Thursdays at home.

Second also note: may be true of NBCS Washington, but not true of NBCS California. As judging by Kings home opener.

Philadelphia hasn't had an NBCS broadcast yet, but they will by 10/22. They went with the old style in the preseason, though.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

16 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

NBC regional networks revising some of the score bug. Score is side by side instead of stacked, and logos no longer accompanied with city abbreviations.

Also note that when Wizards are in their retro gear, the network also uses the retro color scheme. The Philadelphia version did not do that when the Phillies would break out their throwbacks on Thursdays at home.

Second also note: may be true of NBCS Washington, but not true of NBCS California. As judging by Kings home opener.

Philadelphia hasn't had an NBCS broadcast yet, but they will by 10/22. They went with the old style in the preseason, though.

The Kings are using the updated score bug now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

One other note on the NBA on ESPN, I noticed this week the animated logos at various points and I think that's been the coolest part of the new package. Found a video with all 30 teams' animations

Even the NBA on ESPN logo has an animation of the logoman dribbling before stopping in its usual place

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 10:04 PM, the admiral said:

They changed the NHL on Sportsnet theme last year and I missed it. 

It feels like they were like "what is the acceptable maximum amount of Rap Matlock we can do for hockey" and this is exactly how much Rap Matlock. You can have a little as long as an Imagine Dragons guy comes in and says something about "fighting for the thrill of the crowd" and then no one feels threatened.

It's a real song too:

• Like 1