Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

The size of the scorebug makes total sense. It's designed with phones in mind. That's a graphic that will still display all of the important stuff when highlights are viewed vertically. I'm a little surprised it took this long for someone to do that, but it looks much better for TikTok, Instagram, and the like. 

It's funny to watch the evolution of this stuff from 4:3 to 16:9 to 9:16. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

The size of the scorebug makes total sense. It's designed with phones in mind. That's a graphic that will still display all of the important stuff when highlights are viewed vertically. I'm a little surprised it took this long for someone to do that, but it looks much better for TikTok, Instagram, and the like. 

It's funny to watch the evolution of this stuff from 4:3 to 16:9 to 9:16. 

The thing with social media is, there seems to be no standard. For instance, I assumed in 2020 with Fox's now-previous football graphics that they would easily bring them over to MLB, but instead, they got a unique package 2 years ago, but is still 16:9 friendly. As it relates to the likes of Instagram, TikTok, etc., it's hard to tell what works.

Let me take a few examples from this most recent World Series.

This Instagram reel from ESPN's main account is 9:16 and never catches the scorebug, whereas if you're on Twitter. Checking in on other accounts there, like MLB and Fox Sports, they did it very similar, but may have used different ratios in front a background blur. If you go to Twitter, you'll likely get the full 16:9 and might have the benefit of rotating your phone to let it fill the phone screen. Hell, for anyone who cares, that might even work with Facebook too if that's a worthy source of updates via social media. I could look around sports and find other videos where the scoreboard is cropped out and forced into the 9:16 ratio for TikTok and IG, though I've seen that moreso with posts revisiting games and plays of the past.

Long story short, at this point, it's a matter of how the networks balance catering to the sport being covered, social media, and TV as we know it now, it seems. Besides ESPN MNF, Fox College Hoops, and Bally Sports across the board to name a few, graphics seem to be more TV-friendly around sports, including some of the newer and recently revised packages. For how long that remains to be true...we'll find out.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Super Bowl

NBC debuts a more centered scorebug for the Super Bowl

I like NBC's graphics setup better, but that new Fox setup is an improvement. I also liked that Fox's touchdown animation got rid of the static stripes and incorporated racing lights across the screen. 

Fox Sports illustrates Super Bowl with new graphics package - NewscastStudio

That TD graphic is from SB LIV, part of the old package. 

Here is the new TD graphic:

siCrH8V.png

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

How about ESPN on FX? Yes, this is what a lot of the XFL games will be on this year.

FX is airing sports (not counting UFC) for the first time since MLB in the early 2000's.

FpTDHNLaUAEbIOf?format=jpg&name=large

FX also aired some NASCAR too in the early 2000s before Speed came into existence.

I don't know why they put the favorite on the scoreboard, it just feels like an unnecessary thing to add to the scoreboard already littered with info.

Also, ESPN on FX is going to take a while to get used to. Reminds me of Nick on CBS back in the 2000s for "weird TV channel crossovers".

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

• 3 weeks later...

I can't figure out where this WBC graphics package is from, but I really like it for FOX. They used their MLB one for a few games, but I feel as if by and large they've switched to this sleek one. 110% not complaining.

pNq2jZd.jpg

Reminds me of the MLB Network on from last year, without the logos

iZOckQ3.jpg

the games with the fox  graphics are produced by fox themselves, i think the other graphics set is produced by MLB network, and aired on fix, almost like a world feed

• Like 2

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

12 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

the games with the fox  graphics are produced by fox themselves, i think the other graphics set is produced by MLB network, and aired on fix, almost like a world feed

Reminds me of NBC's premier league coverage with some games having NBC graphics and others having Premier League world feed graphics