Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

14 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The upcoming NBA season is going to have some interesting new broadcasts due to Bally Sports' tomfoolery. So far it seems like the Suns games will be on a local network known as Arizona's Family Sports, the Utah Jazz will return to KJZZ and the Wizards will air on a rebranded NBC Sports now known as Monumental Sports Network. I am very intrigued by the return of the unique local flavor of sports broadcasting, something that was sorely missed over the last 15 years.

I'm assuming the same stuff will occur with MLB next season as Bally Sports' issues came up in the middle of the season, giving MLB and the teams no time to get something going.

You forgot the Rockets' Space City Network which is replacing AT&T Southwest (they will own half of it along with the Astros owning the other half)

On 9/20/2023 at 12:44 AM, Old School Fool said:

Fox is the best network for football and you can't tell me otherwise. 

Now that the technological innovations of 1994 are commonplace and all their big personalities have left the booth (or are wheeled out of the retirement home for a few hours), Fox is arguably an even more conservative presentation than CBS.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that the technological innovations of 1994 are commonplace and all their big personalities have left the booth (or are wheeled out of the retirement home for a few hours), Fox is arguably an even more conservative presentation than CBS.

What the other networks should do is have the QB stats graphic permanently up

On 9/20/2023 at 1:34 AM, Old School Fool said:

The upcoming NBA season is going to have some interesting new broadcasts due to Bally Sports' tomfoolery. So far it seems like the Suns games will be on a local network known as Arizona's Family Sports, the Utah Jazz will return to KJZZ and the Wizards will air on a rebranded NBC Sports now known as Monumental Sports Network. I am very intrigued by the return of the unique local flavor of sports broadcasting, something that was sorely missed over the last 15 years.

I'm assuming the same stuff will occur with MLB next season as Bally Sports' issues came up in the middle of the season, giving MLB and the teams no time to get something going.

KJZZ is owned by Sinclair, so I'm guessing they'll just use Bally's graphics without the Bally logo (like KTLA does for Clippers games).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Friend of mine was watching the Sabres-Caps game on NHL Network with the new Monumental Network feed and.... that scorebug seems a bit too large to me.

c57Vkio.png

The size of that GMC ad is simply atrocious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 8:16 AM, Pabig93 said:

Something interesting that occured to me on the FOX NFL Scorebug. Apparently they randomly switch between using a 1 with a serif and a 1 without any serif. Confuses me a bit.spacer.png

If my hunch is right it has to do with how the font is built. Tabular numerals (i.e., the ones where the one has a line on the bottom) are monospaced, while proportional numerals (no line on the bottom of the one) have variable width. If they were to use the same proportional numerals through the whole bug, the clocks would constantly be shifting left and right because the total width of the numbers would keep changing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Weird that they used the Eagles throwback logo for SNF, but didn't for the Patriots several weeks ago.

AFAIK, this is the first time I've seen any of the four networks use a throwback logo in sync with a team's corresponding uniform set for an NFL game.

I'd surely like to see more of this now that gates have been opened. Not sure how willing designers would be to, for example, implement the Phillies' classic maroon cap logo into to elements of Fox's current MLB graphics package. And I can't remember how often we've seen this with the NBA on TNT or likewise for ESPN, but they at least follow the color schemes very well on scoreboards.

• Like 2

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 10/23/2023 at 1:38 AM, TheBigFiz21 said:

AFAIK, this is the first time I've seen any of the four networks use a throwback logo in sync with a team's corresponding uniform set for an NFL game.

I'd surely like to see more of this now that gates have been opened. Not sure how willing designers would be to, for example, implement the Phillies' classic maroon cap logo into to elements of Fox's current MLB graphics package. And I can't remember how often we've seen this with the NBA on TNT or likewise for ESPN, but they at least follow the color schemes very well on scoreboards.

It has happened before. Last I remember was in 2015 when ESPN used the old Dolphins logo on MNF for their first Throwback game.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

13 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

NBA on TNT changed the network logo to say TNT Sports for some reason. They've kept variations of this graphics package for way too long at this point and it's starting to annoy me.

5N5FUBK.png

Looks like "TNT Sports" is the branding they want to push across the network's sports events. To the point where it now has its own intro much like they used to do when the Turner Sports brand was a thing. They've done the same to the scoreboard for the NHL on TNT as well, which shows how dedicated they are to this.

WGpZLSa.png

First point I want to make is that the Turner Sports brand should still be a thing to at least acknowledge the presence of TBS, Bleacher Report, and to a lesser extent truTV as far as sports goes. It won't matter to casual fans at the end of the day and I understand the Turner brand holds no significance to parent company WB Discovery, but that's my two cents.

Secondly, I do have to agree that this current "style" of graphics is starting to grow somewhat stale. 2021 gave us revisions of this style of graphics thanks in part to the NBA's 75th anniversary season and the start of its current contract with the NHL, while the current package for MLB on TBS has mostly stayed the same since 2016 outside of changing up the scoreboard to its current design in 2017 and some revisions ever since. I feel very nostalgic for when the NBA on TNT would give us new packages every two seasons.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Yeah, Turner Sports is now TNT Sports. Even for broadcasts not on Turner Network Television. Ernie was calling it TNT Sports during the MLB on TBS studio show during the NLDS, and during promos for the NLCS alt cast on TruTV.

da0Lbhs.png

Local NBA graphics update over here. Didn't bother posting the Space City Home Network because it's just the AT&T Sportsnet graphics, Spurts and Clippers air some games on local network TV but it uses the Bally Sports graphics.

Here's the Suns on Arizona's Family Sports (Notice it's shaped like the Suns logo):

IuaHooZ.png

Wizards on Monumental Sports Network:

hYhdkOm.png

And here is the Jazz on KJZZ:

W9PpJFc.png

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

Also related to the TNT reintroduction of the TNT Sports branding

https://www.bt.com/sport/features/what-is-tnt-sports-and-what-channels-does-it-offer

Warner Bros Discovery acquired BT Sport in the UK and Ireland, shuttered BT and launched TNT Sports.

• Like 2

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook