Portsmouth Spartans

LogoFan

After doing an updated Providence SteamRollers (yes, I pluralized the name), I decided to delve into reviving some other old names of yesteryear. My latest is the Porstmouth Spartans, who were sold and moved to Michigan (I bet everyone's heard of the Detroit Lions!)

I wanted to tie the new concept to the old. I decided purple and gold had to be in it, but I wanted them to also have a break. After developing the helmet part of the logo, I decided a cape would help complete the look, and as I thought more of it, I remembered what the Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Newport New & Hampton areas all had in common; water! Also, there is one other hidden feature to the logo...

As always, constructive criticism welcome!

Spartans Concept

Spartans Logo Card

Well depending on which way the logo is facing (you have it pointing both left and right) the helmet portion of the logo can form a P, for Portsmouth. Do I win a prize?

Looks excellent. Nice work.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Nice work. Is that the GMac Jersey Design™? :P

sure looks like it... i think im gonna have to get my lawyers involved in this...lol :D

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Yup the Spartans were from Ohio, of course the logo reminded me of the Cologne NFL Europe team more than the San Jose State Spartans. Solid design but I think the numbers would look better if they were similar to Italy's numbers on the new soccer jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Maybe I am missing something but the (real) Portsmouth Spartans played in Ohio not Virginia

D'OH!!! Arrrrgh! Ack! Well, suffice to say I am going to cook an omlette with the egg on my face...

I had tried to determine where Portsmouth was, and when I didn't find it in literature, I got out the map and the NFL Record & Fact Book...

Well, the Hamptons area needs a team anyway...now they have one! :D

And no one was able to find the extra element...if you look at the helmet logo, you may see spikes...or, you may see a fence that sits on the beach shore....

And no one was able to find the extra element...if you look at the helmet logo, you may see spikes...or, you may see a fence that sits on the beach shore....

...on a rock that looks exactly like an old-school Roman soldier helmet. ^_^ Or am I missing something?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Well, the Hamptons area needs a team anyway...now they have one! :D

Hampton Roads, dude, not the Hamptons. The Hamptons are on Long Island.

Thanks for the shout-out, though! We DO need a team down here. Maybe we'll get the Expos. (Monkeys will fly out of my rear when that happens... Yeah, Pittunited, representin' da 7-5-7... :D)

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Nice logo but what made you choose those colors?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I like it. Did you create that number font? I've never seen it before. It fits in very well.

I started with the standard "college" font & kept playing with it until I got the look I was going for. Someone needs to start a "Really Color Number Fonts" page! ;)

Nice logo but what made you choose those colors?

The original Portsmouth Spartans used purple & gold (thanks, PANTONE, for a fantastic resource!). I wanted to keep a connection with the original Spartans, so I knew I wanted to use those colors. But I also wanted to step forward, and make their own identity. So, I briefly played with the main color being red, with purple as a trim color only. But then, after trying some different combinations, and the evolution of the cape into a "wave", I settled on blue.

I figured that purple, blue and gold would pretty much be a unique color scheme, and not just another copy of some overused (but perhaps nice-looking) color sets.

Archived