Miami Hurricanes / Dolphins Playing Field

rmackman

Having watched plenty of Miami Dolphins games and a handful of Hurricanes games, I'm starting to get annoyed by the end zone paint job. I know it's probably a silly thing to worry about, and I'm aware that by just putting MIAMI in orange and white it gives them a nice generic design that doesn't need tinkering with before every game. However, it looks to me like the Steelers and Panthers stopped doing the generic thing at Heinz Field, so why can't the Dolphins and 'Canes? If they're going to flip flop the U logo and the Dolphins logo, they might as well do the end zones as well, right? Thoughts?

seyah50-20120425120247.jpg

15893-pittsburgh-heinz-field.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I've always liked it how it is. Something about how the endzone wordmark aligns perfectly with the yard numbers makes my eyes happy.

I hate the wordmarks fonts for the Canes and Dolphins, so I don't think there's a better alternative.

PJU85JF.png

The Steelers only go full paint job on the endzones when Pitt's season ends. Otherwise it's just PITTSBURGH in one endzone, in team colors and then the hatched endzone in the other. If the field crew went with Pittsburgh in both during the overlapping seasons it'd be an improvement for me.

Well it's a definite downgrade for the Canes compared to when they were in the OB (really the only thing about the OB (in its last couple of years) that was better than SunLife Stadium):

seyah50-20120426120125.jpg

But at least the field has the [slightly too small) U logo (which originally wasn't going to be painted until enough fans complained). And thankfully the firt infield is gone permanently as well.

Just one of the thousands of reasons they should have never left the Orange Bowl. I understand the $ savings sometimes but having multiple teams play in one facility is starting to become obsolete just like cookie cutter stadiums because of things like this that take away from the experience and the brand. I wish Miami could get funds to build a new Orange Bowl that resembled the old one just a slightly smaller capacity.

Just one of the thousands of reasons they should have never left the Orange Bowl. I understand the $ savings sometimes but having multiple teams play in one facility is starting to become obsolete just like cookie cutter stadiums because of things like this that take away from the experience and the brand. I wish Miami could get funds to build a new Orange Bowl that resembled the old one just a slightly smaller capacity.

Without getting into too much of a Orange Bowl hindsight "what if" debate...It was a terrible situation for the university to be in and they didn't really have much of a choice. The move to Dolphins Stadium didn't affect football performance -- it was coincidental, if anything, that the poor administration and coaching hires/decision (along with a pretty big scandal hurting recruiting) occurred while the school was moving to a different facility.

Had the school stayed at the OB, coupled with the financial crisis, I highly doubt substantial improvements to the facility would have actually been made (keep in mind, for example, there was NEVER a video board at the Orange Bowl stadium). And that would've hurt recruiting more than telling a 17-year-old kid, "At SunLife, Super Bowls are held here."

--

In a perfect world, Miami never would've left the stadium, but renovations [that never occurred] were at least a decade overdue, and the school had very little leverage with the city/county (the stadium was NOT owned by the university). The school was in a tough situation, but they really can't be blamed when it was the city/county who were corrupt and held them hostage essentially.

Like it or not, the move to Dolphins/Land Shark/SunLife Stadium was still the right move. Now we just have to see if renovations to this stadium will occur -- or maybe a new stadium for the Dolphins/Hurricanes will be built closer to Miami in ten years.

Why the dislike for geographic identifiers in the end zone?

It's the MIAMI DOLPHINS. Miami is part of the name and it makes perfect sense to put that in the end zone. The fact that it meshes with the U's name makes it all the better. I don't think that using the team nickname would make the endzone design better.

how about shutting down the Marlins and refitting that UFO for Canes football? It might actually get filled up. Or I could just fly to the moon.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

how about shutting down the Marlins and refitting that UFO for Canes football? It might actually get filled up. Or I could just fly to the moon.

What makes you think it would get filled? If FSU isn't in town, there is like 7 people in those stands for a hurricane game. It might be emptier than a Marlin's game.

Why the dislike for geographic identifiers in the end zone?

It's the MIAMI DOLPHINS. Miami is part of the name and it makes perfect sense to put that in the end zone. The fact that it meshes with the U's name makes it all the better. I don't think that using the team nickname would make the endzone design better.

My problem with it is that it's so generic. I have no issue with the endzone saying Miami, but it's just too blah.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Archived