NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

This Cowboy defense is so bad, so bad. Ron's defense was never this bad.

The Cowboys better load up on defense this draft, emphasis on our line. The lack of pressure makes our already weak secondary, worse.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Cowboy defense is so bad, so bad. Ron's defense was never this bad.

The Cowboys better load up on defense this draft, emphasis on our line. The lack of pressure makes our already weak secondary, worse.

Take a look at their roster transactions HERE.

There is 3-4 personnel playing a 4-3 Tampa 2 scheme. This was a disaster ready to happen before the injuries to Lee, Ware, Clairborne, Spencer (who is a FA anyway) and the regression of Bruce Carter.

Drafting rookies won't matter much because they will be rookies. The defensive rookies like JJ Wilcox, Jeff Heath, Jakar Hamilton, DeVonte Hollmann and BW Webb are not really excelling. There are not many colleges who play a Tampa 2 to get players with a knowledge base regardless.

More importantly, Jerry does not draft well. There are:

1 player left from their 2008 draft class (Scandrick)

NO players left from their 2009 draft class.

2 players left from 2010: (Bryant and Lee)

McCown may get 400 yards which would make him the sixth 400 yard passer against DAL this season, expanding another dubious record with the possibility of Rodgers playing next week.

Fire Jerry and fire Kiffin.

Edit: to the above post, true, but Sean Lee is the only good thing this defense has.

Jerry Jones can't get fired!

Jerry Jones, "the owner" can fire Jerry Jones, "the GM" at any time.

It has been said by someone around the Metroplex every minute ever since Jimmy Johnson resigned.

Jerry is very good at assembling a mediocre roster, but he overvalues the offense to the extant that our defense suffers because of it.

I know we've had a ton of injuries, but Rob Ryan went through the same thing only worse and we were never this bad.

Our offense isn't bad. We suffer from pathetic play-calling, but there is no good reason to continue to waste time tinkering with it. This off-season needs to be all about upgrading the defense, especially along the trenches. We're going to lose Spencer, most likely will lose Hatcher and Ware isn't the same. Plus, the scheme was a terrible decision and still is a terrible decision. We have man coverage players playing a zone. Couple that with a terrible defensive line torn apart by injuries, of course we're going to struggle.

Anyways, Jerry needs to hire an actual GM and fire Kiffin. The latter should happen immediately.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Jerry is very good at assembling a mediocre roster, but he overvalues the offense to the extant that our defense suffers because of it.

I know we've had a ton of injuries, but Rob Ryan went through the same thing only worse and we were never this bad.

Our offense isn't bad. We suffer from pathetic play-calling, but there is no good reason to continue to waste time tinkering with it. This off-season needs to be all about upgrading the defense, especially along the trenches. We're going to lose Spencer, most likely will lose Hatcher and Ware isn't the same. Plus, the scheme was a terrible decision and still is a terrible decision. We have man coverage players playing a zone. Couple that with a terrible defensive line torn apart by injuries, of course we're going to struggle.

Anyways, Jerry needs to hire an actual GM and fire Kiffin. The latter should happen immediately.

Jerry overvalues older players. He gives extensions to players over the age of 30 and then has to add an additional year to get cap relief for the next free agent period.

The Cowboys losing to a Bears team this goddamn terrible on defense is a black eye to that franchise. The Bears offensively were near pristine tonight, but the Cowboys abandoned their gameplan and never really took advantage of the worst run defense in the NFL.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I've always found the altitude argument a bit disingenuous anyway. It's not like Jason Elam or Matt Prater would be stiffs elsewhere, and unlike during the baseball season*, it's cold as hell in Denver during the football season, and as you alluded to, cold air (and wind effects) mitigate much of the altitude advantage (at least, I imagine it does).

*I don't live in Denver and don't know summer temps, obviously, but I have to imagine it's much warmer during April-September than, well, September-December.

I don't have a verifiable scientific argument but can tell you that elevation is a critical factor for aircraft. The worst places performance-wise are called "hot and high," where the thinner air gets thinner still when it's hot. This can cause significant payload limitations due to decreased lift. Cold air is more dense (so it's better for flight) and would mitigate some of the altitude advantage for kickers. How much I have no idea. But all told, I think it's safe to say kickers in Denver have an advantage under most conditions compared to kickers at sea level.

For whoever asked, the temp for Dempsey's kick was in the mid-70s (the web truly is amazing).

Unrelated memo to Jerry Jones: thanks for firing Rob Ryan. Unlike you, he seems to learn from his mistakes. :D

And while I'm giving props to the Saints' improved D - they're #5 in the only stat that really counts, scoring defense - remember they've had a rash of serious injuries too (Victor Butler, Will Smith, Jabari Greer, Jonathan Vilma) that spawned preseason headlines like "Injuries Threaten to Derail Saints' Defensive Overhaul."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Just got home from the Lions/Eagles game...despite the outcome and how got-damn cold I was, it was freaking awesome. When I saw that they played in December, I was hoping for a snowy game, and well, I got it. The only thing that sucked was the beginning of the game...I couldn't see the other end of the field (I sat in the endzone). It cleared up after the first quarter.

Here's an extremely blurry picture of the pre-game field from my phone:

1454758_10100658260807178_386665412_n.jp

I've never understood how people live places it does that... It's never snowed so much as a flake at my house my entire life. But I've always been able to get to snow in 3 hours or less should I choose to vacation where it's cold.

Wow, really? I never would've guessed in a million years that a Patriots vs. Ravens game would be flexed OUT of the Sunday night slot, especially because that game holds some form of meaning on both sides as well, albeit maybe not as much as Bears vs. Eagles does, but that didn't stop Giants/Redskins from remaining the SNF game in Week 13 or stop this week's Bengals/Steelers game from remaining there.

I'm legitimately surprised by that.

spacer.png

I stumbled on this picture and it has me stumped.

lionsCowboys_zps368b38f3.png

That's clearly the Lions and that's clearly the Cowboys and they're clearly playing on a grass field, but at the time both teams had astroturf fields in their home stadiums.

Was this from some neutral site preseason game? Anybody know the story behind this?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I stumbled on this picture and it has me stumped.

lionsCowboys_zps368b38f3.png

That's clearly the Lions and that's clearly the Cowboys and they're clearly playing on a grass field, but at the time both teams had astroturf fields in their home stadiums.

Was this from some neutral site preseason game? Anybody know the story behind this?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20120817-photos-from-tokyo-to-london-cowboys-were-once-world-travelers.ece?ssimg=682837#ssTop682951

Aug. 8, 1993 in London, England - Cowboys 13, Lions 13: Derrick Lassic (25) of the Dallas Cowboys is tackled during the American Bowl preseason NFL game against the Detroit Lions at Wembley Stadium in London, Great Britain.
Photo: Michael Cooper/Getty Images

Archived