NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

But Manning has been average in the playoffs.

And an awesome choke artist...

The Chargers will win because nobody's giving them a chance (I don't blame you, they shouldn't) and Manning is playing an outdoor playoff game, far from the heated Dome in Indy. The Chargers looked pretty good in the cold last week, so I won't be surprised to see the Chargers win.

Sometimes pure logic just fails in life.

You were starting Junior High the last time Manning called the Colts' stadium home. I think he's used to the cold by now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chargers will win because nobody's giving them a chance (I don't blame you, they shouldn't) and Manning is playing an outdoor playoff game, far from the heated Dome in Indy. The Chargers looked pretty good in the cold last week, so I won't be surprised to see the Chargers win.

Yes because last year's loss to the Ravens in the playoffs was Manning's fault. The defense let the team down. Calling Peyton a choke artist is one of the biggest clichés in the NFL.

But, they are playing the Broncos. Yes, the Chargers won the last time they played in Denver. But, as everyone knows it's Peyton Manning. The guy is the legend of our time. There hasn't been a QB like this in the game since Montana.

Peyton Manning isn't this generation'a Joe Montana. That's Tom Brady.

As for the game? Manning's a great talent but historically he's struggled in the playoffs and he's struggled against the Chargers. This is definitely a winnable game for San Diego.

But, they are playing the Broncos. Yes, the Chargers won the last time they played in Denver. But, as everyone knows it's Peyton Manning. The guy is the legend of our time. There hasn't been a QB like this in the game since Montana.

As for the game? Manning's a great talent but historically he's struggled in the playoffs and he's struggled against the Chargers. This is definitely a winnable game for San Diego.

Yes, but we're also talking about this season's Chargers, who needed a 4th Quarter comeback to beat the Chiefs backups in a win-and-in situation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tom Brady has come up pretty small in the past 9 years. Did you watch the AFC championship game last year against Baltimore? He was awful. Also he was very mediocre in the past two super bowls in which he has played. As much as I couldn't stand Montana, Brady was and will never be nearly as good.

Yes, but we're also talking about this season's Chargers, who needed a 4th Quarter comeback to beat the Chiefs backups in a win-and-in situation.

The same Chargers team that beat these Broncos in Denver already as well as the Chiefs' A squad in Arrowhead. Granted you don't know which team will show up, but if it's the Chargers team that beat Philadelphia, Indy, Kansas City, and Denver then I like their chances.

Peyton Manning is hands down one of the top 5 QBs of all time, but the playoff struggles will always be a knock against him. He's tied for most all time playoff losses.

I love watching Peyton, he's a Football genius but just like the lack of rings count against the legacy of the likes of Jim Kelly & Dan Marino, playoff futility will count against Peyton, ring or no. Him winnning another ring will help for sure, especially this far along in his career where the "legacy" talk is being bought up more than ever cus realistically he's only got so many more seasons in him. But being fair is being fair.

You could say everything from Peyton "was" the franchise and didn't have the same level of supporting cast as other QBs have but play, you can say so and so was more the system than the franchise, whatever you wanna say but ultimately QB is the most unfairly judged (in both highs and lows) position in all of sports. Football is the epitome of team sports, but QB is the epitome of singular achievements - which we all know is flawed cus SOMEONE has to catch the balls, someone has to snap the ball, block for them, supplement the pass with the run, prevent the other team from outscoring them with the defense etc.

I got a lot of respect for Peyton, honestly if you said he's top 3 all time I wouldn't argue at all (especially if you said Montana, Brady, Peyton), but it'll always count against him, with all the records he's broken, success he's had in the regular season, 2 Superbowl appearances 1 win (as of now).

If he wins another ring or two... then perhaps we have adifferent conversation... but those losses will still haunt him to some extent, a lot less with 2 or 3 rings though lol.

Just an unbias view.

TYBG

Indo get rolled up like car windows,
Avoiding the policeman them Carl Winslows

Yes because last year's loss to the Ravens in the playoffs was Manning's fault. The defense let the team down. Calling Peyton a choke artist is one of the biggest clichés in the NFL.

Oh, it goes back further than that. He honestly had a chance, like a really good chance to win every Super Bowl from 2006-2010, but he didn't. Some of that can be blamed on a sub-par defense, and no true running game, which I think he has both of in Denver (or at least better then what he had in Indianapolis). But he's also seen statistical regressions in the playoffs, and some of those losses could very well be blamed on Peyton not making the necessary plays to win the game.

What I'm trying to say is, he's not Jim Kelly, but he's not Joe Montana either.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

No but they allowed the game tying catch in regulation

Denver was lucky to even be tied at the end of regulation because Trindon Holliday ran back both a punt and a kick for touchdowns.

Right, because special teams plays aren't really part of the game, just something that's there.

Give me a break.

Last year's loss is not on Peyton. His first INT was bogus because Williams barreled through Decker to make the INT and run it back, so that TD never should've happened if the refs were paying attention.

The fact of the matter is that if it weren't for Rahim Moore thinking Flacco couldn't throw the ball that far, they win that game. OT never should've happened and the 'game losing interception' doesn't exist.

Oh, it goes back further than that. He honestly had a chance, like a really good chance to win every Super Bowl from 2006-2010, but he didn't. Some of that can be blamed on a sub-par defense, and no true running game, which I think he has both of in Denver (or at least better then what he had in Indianapolis). But he's also seen statistical regressions in the playoffs, and some of those losses could very well be blamed on Peyton not making the necessary plays to win the game.

What? You don't even know who either of them are, get out of here with that.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was reading The Onion: Our Dumb Century on the crapper and got a laugh out of this article:

----

Nov 12, 1918:

SEVEN TORN ASUNDER IN GRIDIRON BATTLE: Lively Football Contest; Four Players, One Coach Unaccounted For

Mighty deeds of athletic prowess and a general show of titanic strength were the order of the day Monday, as the mighty men of Fordham's football squad proved themselves up to the challenge of Chicago's doughty crew. Seven stout players were savagely torn limb from limb in the 14-0 battle.

The game, a crucial conference battle, nonetheless proved only slightly more rugged in its strategy and execution than routine seasonal play. Four men and one coach remain unaccounted for.

The hullabaloo started early, as Bert "Blood Foot" Sturgis, the rollicking Fordham back, plunged up past the bucking-guard on only his third carry, stepping directly through the thorax of Chicago lineman Max Schechner and gaining 21 yards. The drive was stifled, however, by Schechner's brilliant and nearly posthumous tackle on the very next play. Fordham quarterback Herman Krungle tripped on a coil of Schechner's intestine in the backfield, ending that brave fighter's career and life and getting himself tackled for a six-yard loss.

Sturgis and Krungle would combine for a stunning 233 yards this game before the last ligament on Krungle's left leg failed in the third quarter, causing him to lose the leg and fumble.

"Field got muddy," said the terse but towering Sturgis, when asked about the game in which he was the undisputed star (27 carries, 167 yards, two touchdowns, four arms dislocated, one knee shattered, a nose bitten off, two killed, no fumbles). "Nice day. But ground got all wet from blood."

Chicago's attack was less swift, but certainly less sure, as Arlon Hackmann, their brilliant young crushing-back, pounding the tackles for 80 yards in the first quarter before impaling himself on the protruding leg-bone of a line-backer whose battered remains made identification impossible.

"I could have played," said the Chicago stomper, one of only four ever to survive the Fordham game in the contest's 30-year history. "God granted me two kidneys, and the gouging-out of one should not have slowed me down. But I cannot move my left side, so I stayed in to block only."

The game was wrapped up by Forham's possession play in the second half, using the new "forward-passing" invention to knock out the eyes of three Chicago defenders with accurate throws.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Question for SeaDragon or anyone else familiar with CenturyLink in Seattle: how much does the wind get into the stadium? It's aligned north-south and tomorrow the wind is forecast to be 27 mph from the SSW. But the design of the stadium makes me wonder how much the wind gets in there. Any insight?

I've only been to CenturyLink for Sounders games, and only a couple of those have been in heavy wind/rain. In my recollection, you definitely feel the rain. The wind? Not as much.

Although we'll see how bad it is tomorrow. It generally is windiest in the morning here but levels off by mid-afternoon.

Speaking of, why in the world is the west coast game first, while the east coast game later? And isn't Saints/Seahawks the more marquee matchup of the two this weekend?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Speaking of, why in the world is the west coast game first, while the east coast game later? And isn't Saints/Seahawks the more marquee matchup of the two this weekend?

Because the NFL wants all of America to shove down the Patriots and every other east-coast team down the west coast's throat in prime time.

If the NFL really wanted to pull the ultimate dick-move, they'd switch the game order for Sunday, because "nobody in Boston or New York City would care for a football game between teams from Denver and San Diego." But alas, Manning himself saves Chargers-Broncos from going 1st on Sunday.

No but they allowed the game tying catch in regulation

Denver was lucky to even be tied at the end of regulation because Trindon Holliday ran back both a punt and a kick for touchdowns.

Right, because special teams plays aren't really part of the game, just something that's there.

Give me a break.

Last year's loss is not on Peyton. His first INT was bogus because Williams barreled through Decker to make the INT and run it back, so that TD never should've happened if the refs were paying attention.

The fact of the matter is that if it weren't for Rahim Moore thinking Flacco couldn't throw the ball that far, they win that game. OT never should've happened and the 'game losing interception' doesn't exist.

What? You don't even know who either of them are, get out of here with that.

Alright, really can we stop with the "You don't know who this was because you weren't alive then" stuff. I get it with the CCSLC stuff, but in sports really? Just because I wasn't alive when Montana was playing doesn't mean I can't know who he was, what he did, what he accomplished, etc. While I may not have watched him live, people live in the history books. You can dig through old highlights on YouTube, you can practically learn anything about them you want. You can't just try and tell me that I don't know who Jim Kelly and Joe Montana are, I know who they are. If I didn't I simply wouldn't put something in the post. There's simply no point in attacking someone because of their age on a sports-related topic.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

There's simply no point in attacking someone because of their age on a sports-related topic.

TyfnOCA.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived