NBA Top 3/ Bottom 3 logos

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Blazers monstrosity is easily one of, if not the worst logos in the Big Four.

Whut.

Yup. There is not one redeeming quality about that POS. The font is ugly, the parallelogram shape looks awkward, and that...thing in the middle is downright laughable. It's supposed to represent 5 vs 5 players, right? That could apply to any basketball team. Heck, any hockey team! It looks odd and it's impossible to tell what is represents (and when you do find out, it only looks worse).

-BigBubba

Its not a bad logo though, it is more original than they :censored:ty logos that are just a basketball with words, now that really can be uses for any basketball team.

That Blazers monstrosity is easily one of, if not the worst logos in the Big Four.

Whut.

Yup. There is not one redeeming quality about that POS. The font is ugly, the parallelogram shape looks awkward, and that...thing in the middle is downright laughable. It's supposed to represent 5 vs 5 players, right? That could apply to any basketball team. Heck, any hockey team! It looks odd and it's impossible to tell what is represents (and when you do find out, it only looks worse).

-BigBubba

Its not a bad logo though, it is more original than they :censored:ty logos that are just a basketball with words, now that really can be uses for any basketball team.

Count me as a fan of Portlands not in the best three but not close to the worst three.

1. Spurs

2. Rockets

3. T-Wolves

28. Lakers

29. Wizards

30. Thunder

The thing is, if you put the Lakers' logo in the bottom 3 then you have to put the Clippers' logo in there as well since it is almost a carbon copy.

Nope. Unlike the Lakers, the Clippers fixed up the flaws in their logo, all the ugly lines that lead to nowhere and cleaned up the font. If the Lakers did the same, they'd be in people's top 3. As they stand now, they deserve to be at the bottom.

Also...The Wizards logo isn't that bad. It just doesn't fit in with any of the team's other logos, which have a DC-capital theme.

Whut.

-BigBubba

I give the Blazers points for creativity. Their logo is unique and recognizable. But I agree that the execution leaves a little to be desired. I actually prefer their original logo:

tqua25fagb2dggsfddbbiigh3.gif

I think it accomplishes the same effect without the extraneous feel.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Step off my bit.

A defense of the much-maligned Lakers primary, if I may. With Los Angeles being considered glitzy, superficial, disposable, and all of that, and with LA sports fans always accused of frontrunning and bandwagoning, it becomes especially important to maintain a firm visual connection to the past, to Chick Hearn and the Fabulous Forum and an existence that, relative to the opulence of today's NBA, still had a touch of populism about it: even in Los Angeles, you still played in cheap uniforms at a dumpy arena under dim lighting. It's the same reason I want the Lakers to bring back the clunky drop shadows on their numbers: yeah sure, they won in them, but more importantly, it paints a picture to me of the Lakers as not a streamlined evil empire but just the local NBA team for people who for better or worse happened to grow up in Los Angeles. It humanizes the whole thing. Look at the "L" secondary, trying to capture the dopey speed lines in smooth vector graphics. It's as polished and charmless as Kobe. The Lakers' primary, with basketball seams that don't line up and speed lines and lettering that doesn't match, is Kareem with sport goggles and a bald spot.

Anyway, Bulls-Lakers-Blazers are 1-2-3, Wizards-Jazz-Thunder are 28-29-30. Primaries aren't really the NBA's thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Lakers' logo is what it is. Not a great logo, even for the 60s, but decades of success have made it as iconic as the Yankees' NY or the Cowboys' star.

It's like the Bulls logo - sure, it's a great piece of design in and of itself, but without the 6 titles, would it be iconic? Probably not.

Anywhoo, would it be appropriate to post my top & bottom 3 logos of all-time in this thread, or would it be better served in a new thread (although there are a lot of these threads around right now)?

Step off my bit.

A defense of the much-maligned Lakers primary, if I may. With Los Angeles being considered glitzy, superficial, disposable, and all of that, and with LA sports fans always accused of frontrunning and bandwagoning, it becomes especially important to maintain a firm visual connection to the past, to Chick Hearn and the Fabulous Forum and an existence that, relative to the opulence of today's NBA, still had a touch of populism about it: even in Los Angeles, you still played in cheap uniforms at a dumpy arena under dim lighting. It's the same reason I want the Lakers to bring back the clunky drop shadows on their numbers: yeah sure, they won in them, but more importantly, it paints a picture to me of the Lakers as not a streamlined evil empire but just the local NBA team for people who for better or worse happened to grow up in Los Angeles. It humanizes the whole thing. Look at the "L" secondary, trying to capture the dopey speed lines in smooth vector graphics. It's as polished and charmless as Kobe. The Lakers' primary, with basketball seams that don't line up and speed lines and lettering that doesn't match, is Kareem with sport goggles and a bald spot.

Anyway, Bulls-Lakers-Blazers are 1-2-3, Wizards-Jazz-Thunder are 28-29-30. Primaries aren't really the NBA's thing.

That's fine and dandy, but I'm judging the logos based on the logos themselves, and the Lakers still have a generic and dated looking script in front of a basketball as their logo.

Looking at these posts I can see how people defend "classic" vs "original" logos.. in my opinion some or a lot of classic logos BADLY needs to be updated. I love the Bulls(Chicagoland raised), Lakers,Celtics,.etc.. but they need to be modernized! Lakers with "HOLLYWOODLAND-esque", Bulls with something similar to one of the guys on the concept boards..etc.

Just my opinion.

shado_logo.gif

Looking at these posts I can see how people defend "classic" vs "original" logos.. in my opinion some or a lot of classic logos BADLY needs to be updated. I love the Bulls(Chicagoland raised), Lakers,Celtics,.etc.. but they need to be modernized! Lakers with "HOLLYWOODLAND-esque", Bulls with something similar to one of the guys on the concept boards..etc.

Just my opinion.

Yes a good Vikingesque redo would make all of those better & still hold to tradition

Whut.

-BigBubba

I give the Blazers points for creativity. Their logo is unique and recognizable. But I agree that the execution leaves a little to be desired. I actually prefer their original logo:

tqua25fagb2dggsfddbbiigh3.gif

I think it accomplishes the same effect without the extraneous feel.

Woah, that's gorgeous.

I couldn't pick only three for each category.. Sorry

The Tops:

Bulls

Nets (very biased)

Celtics/Cav's tie for third

Clippers/lakers tie for 4th since their logos are almost the same except for colors and script but same they have the same concept.

Worst:

Okc (obviously)

Wizards (so F'ing ugly. They should of scrapped this logo all together)

Bobcats (thankfully we only have to deal with them for one more season)

Knicks (I just hate them honestly)

Kings (overly busy for no reason)

Raptors (the logo makes the raptor look like it has a broken neck)

Archived