Sports Nostalgia From Your Childhood

ADW77

119886075_amazoncom-nhl-new-york-rangers

Lil' Sports Brats. They must still make these because they had a bin of them at the gift shop at the Hockey Hall of Fame. I nearly re-purchased the Red Wings one I used to have. I do still have my Lions one...it's on my bookshelf.

I used to have the Broncos (orange crush uniforms). Man that thing got a lot of playtime with me. I always wondered what was up with the keychain, though. Oh, who am I kidding? Every time I played with it I'd take it off the keychain.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found a piece of material (about single bed sheet sized) at the thrift store a couple years back similar to the sheet set I had as a kid.

Not quite the same but a similar style made a couple years later than my childhood one - the Scouts had moved on and become the Rockies.

nhlpillowcase_zpsabc90182.jpg

nhlsheet_zps9fa6d04c.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

GsEmH3Y.jpg

When I was a kid I had these sheets. Not the curtains, just the sheets. The fabric was really thin and you had to have some other sheet underneath it because the fabric had a fiber undertexture.

Another "must have" when I was a kid was this NFL tray.

2667a_lg.jpeg

I don't remember if it was part of a promotion or sold in stores or what. All I remember is I had one as a kid. A few years back, I found a bunch of them on Ebay and ended up buying two of them.

I found one of these trays at a flea market.

Did anyone else read these books as a kid? Pretty much all of my library time in elementary school was spent with books like this and mythology stuff.

9780671745516_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I have the first three volumes of the MLB. Did NOT know there were other sports. I loved these books, and I took a lot of trivia out of them that I loved sharing with people. It was the first place I read of the Pine Tar Game or the Martin-Jackson confrontation (depicted below on the cover of 2).

9780671687663.jpg9780671611132_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG1221476.jpg

I have plenty of old Red, White, and Royal Yankees stuff, back before they moved to the Navy, White, and Gray color scheme which dominated over the 2000's to today. I like and miss the older brighter color scheme. I'm in a rush to get out, so I can't remember anything else at the moment, so I'll try to think of more later, but I had an old three-foot-tall metal trash can featuring it, which is still down in the basement somewhere. Here's the only picture I could find of it.

3032289899_25b7790545_z.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

NFL Huddles any one?

Trading-Cards-NFL-Huddles-5.jpg

Cleveland-Browns.jpg

$(KGrHqZHJE0FGWtqW)D!BRqehrwVsg~~60_35.J

I still have the Lions one my parents gave me when I was 9.

Yup! I used to rock these sheets!

NFLHuddles2.jpg

What a coincidence, I still have that on my curtains now!!

It kind of felt weird because if you look at the Steeler, he's wearing a white jersey with white numbers w/ a black and yellow outline.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Early to late 2000's, McFarlane Hockey Figures where the things to collect.

patrick-roy-12-inch-mcfarlane-figurine-0

I think they still make them, but they aren't nearly as popular as when I was a kid.

Those were definitely the :censored: when I was a kid, I still have a bunch of them brand new.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Did anyone else read these books as a kid? Pretty much all of my library time in elementary school was spent with books like this and mythology stuff.

9780671745516_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I have the first three volumes of the MLB. Did NOT know there were other sports. I loved these books, and I took a lot of trivia out of them that I loved sharing with people. It was the first place I read of the Pine Tar Game or the Martin-Jackson confrontation (depicted below on the cover of 2).

9780671687663.jpg9780671611132_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG1221476.jpg

The football is what I remember the most, specifically the mascot stuff. I still remember that the Texas mascot's name is Bevo, and I don't think I've ever seen more than ten minutes of a Texas football game on TV.

On 9/10/2013 at 10:51 AM, McCarthy said:

For some reason I was obsessed with football helmets as a kid. One christmas all I wanted was a football helmet, a real one, and my parents Santa got me a real white helmet with a gray facemask. I pretended I played for the Cardinals. I used to draw logos and stripes on white printer paper and tape them to my helmet. I went through so much tape that I got my own rolls in my stocking the next year. I was a weird kid.

I also had every NFL team's gumball helmet, which was a feat because I had duplicates of several teams. I bet I had 6 Broncos helmets. If I was at the store with my dad he would keep giving me quarters until I got a team I didn't yet have. If I was at the store with my mom she would say sorry and I'd have to hope for better luck next time.

Every helmet came with a white facemask. If the team used a black facemask I would color their facemask with a sharpie so it was the correct color.

I also had that NFL helmets poster in what I think was 1995. The Rams helmet had the old LA Rams word mark, but there was no city above the name because the team was in limbo. It's still on my bedroom wall at my parents house. I wonder if it's worth anything.

I had an orange facemask for the Bucs (in the Bucco Bruce era). I think the orange mask came with my Bengals helmet, so I swapped so at least Tampa would be correct.

When I was a kid, Dairy Queen sold sundaes in the helmets that they currently sell at most (all?) MLB parks:

Unlike gumball helmets, you were given your choice of those that happened to be currently in stock (which makes sense given the cost and content). So I remember going up to the window of my local walk-up DQ and ordering a helmet sundae. I asked the girl which teams were available and she looked below her counter and started naming teams. One of the teams she named that I still needed was the Cardinals, so I asked for it.

She went and made the sundae and gave me my "Cardinals" helmet sundae...but it was a Reds helmet.

I already had that one! I was pissed, but I did not make a stink.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I remember the sundae batting helmets. They sold those at the Texas Rangers' old ballpark (and maybe the new one, can't recall). I think they still have them at Turner Field too.

Turner Field still does as does Yankee Stadium.

On that note, the SC Stingrays used to sell dippin dots in a Stingrays hockey helmet. That's the only time I'd seen that.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

For some reason I was obsessed with football helmets as a kid. One christmas all I wanted was a football helmet, a real one, and my parents Santa got me a real white helmet with a gray facemask. I pretended I played for the Cardinals. I used to draw logos and stripes on white printer paper and tape them to my helmet. I went through so much tape that I got my own rolls in my stocking the next year. I was a weird kid.

I also had every NFL team's gumball helmet, which was a feat because I had duplicates of several teams. I bet I had 6 Broncos helmets. If I was at the store with my dad he would keep giving me quarters until I got a team I didn't yet have. If I was at the store with my mom she would say sorry and I'd have to hope for better luck next time.

Every helmet came with a white facemask. If the team used a black facemask I would color their facemask with a sharpie so it was the correct color.

I also had that NFL helmets poster in what I think was 1995. The Rams helmet had the old LA Rams word mark, but there was no city above the name because the team was in limbo. It's still on my bedroom wall at my parents house. I wonder if it's worth anything.

I had an orange facemask for the Bucs (in the Bucco Bruce era). I think the orange mask came with my Bengals helmet, so I swapped so at least Tampa would be correct.

When I was a kid, Dairy Queen sold sundaes in the helmets that they currently sell at most (all?) MLB parks:

$(KGrHqNHJCUFH6ZLUPDGBSGU-RBD!Q~~60_35.J

Unlike gumball helmets, you were given your choice of those that happened to be currently in stock (which makes sense given the cost and content). So I remember going up to the window of my local walk-up DQ and ordering a helmet sundae. I asked the girl which teams were available and she looked below her counter and started naming teams. One of the teams she named that I still needed was the Cardinals, so I asked for it.

She went and made the sundae and gave me my "Cardinals" helmet sundae

mVU9qEded9X92PpghS9tvJA.jpg

I already had that one! I was pissed, but I did not make a stink.

Pretty sure they still have the sundae helmets at Miller Park and if I'm not mistaken, you can get one filled with cheese fries as well.

Another "must have" when I was a kid was this NFL tray.

2667a_lg.jpeg

I don't remember if it was part of a promotion or sold in stores or what. All I remember is I had one as a kid. A few years back, I found a bunch of them on Ebay and ended up buying two of them.

We had the tray as well. I'm not sure if it is still at my mom's house or not.

If memory serves me, the tray was part of a set sold/given away at a gas station with tumblers/rocks glasses with individual team names and helmets on them. I still have a set of the Baltimore Colts glasses, which were handed down to me years ago. I posted a picture of them before, but the picture is on another computer.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived