Sports Nostalgia From Your Childhood

ADW77

Had the gumball helmets as well as the gumball baseball helmets as well.

Used to set up all of the NFL helmets on my bed's headboard ledge and track the standings. I remember seeing the newer "full set" in stores and thought it really took the fun out of it. It was fun to throw the quarter in and hope you got one you were looking for.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid it was all the rage to put these stickers on the cover of our school notebooks. You were nobody if you weren't collecting the stickers.

chiquita+stickers+1970+ad.JPG

A while back, I found a full set on Ebay. I would have bought them but I couldn't bring myself to pay $350 for a sheet of stickers.

Another "must have" when I was a kid was this NFL tray.

2667a_lg.jpeg

I don't remember if it was part of a promotion or sold in stores or what. All I remember is I had one as a kid. A few years back, I found a bunch of them on Ebay and ended up buying two of them.

BB52Big.jpg

Used to set up all of the NFL helmets on my bed's headboard ledge and track the standings. I remember seeing the newer "full set" in stores and thought it really took the fun out of it. It was fun to throw the quarter in and hope you got one you were looking for.

A while back I was in a grocery store and they had new gumball helmets that looked more like the actual helmets, but they had all the graphics already applied. What fun is it when you don't get to put on the kidney bean shaped sticker and stripes yourself?

PvO6ZWJ.png

As for my nostalgia....

WarriorBuddy.jpg

WRESTLING+BUDDY+KEN+TUCCIO.jpg

incrediblehulkmib.jpg

Along with a whoooooole mess of WWF figures & other Hulk paraphernalia

I actually went into this thread to post that they had a Wayne Gretzky one of these when I was at the HHoF last weekend. I had the Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior and Joe Montana ones as a kid. My brother had Dan Marino and Hulk Hogan.

A while back I was in a grocery store and they had new gumball helmets that looked more like the actual helmets, but they had all the graphics already applied. What fun is it when you don't get to put on the kidney bean shaped sticker and stripes yourself?

My college roommate and I probably spent 100 bucks trying to complete our collection of gumball helmets. The first 27 were easy. Getting that elusive Chargers helmet was a little expensive.

BB52Big.jpg

These:

mNlFTS6Yo5lvEFIpuzCal4w.jpg

Panini sticker albums. Before sports cards were widely available over here, we had these (this was the first one I collected). 7-8 players per team, and beautiful foil logo stickers. The best part was, you could just order whatever stickers you needed out of the back, which would always result in me ordering dozens of Hornets logos and sticking them everywhere...

These:

mNlFTS6Yo5lvEFIpuzCal4w.jpg

Panini sticker albums. Before sports cards were widely available over here, we had these (this was the first one I collected). 7-8 players per team, and beautiful foil logo stickers. The best part was, you could just order whatever stickers you needed out of the back, which would always result in me ordering dozens of Hornets logos and sticking them everywhere...

I had a ton of these. For nostalgia's sake, I got this year's MLB Panini album to do with my sons. They're still a bit young to care, so I've been enjoying it myself. Considering buying the football one, too. They're pretty cheap.

I was a huge card collector in the late '80s, early '90s. (My parents are hoping I upgrade at some point to a bigger house so I can relieve them of my stash of full sets and unopened boxes of card packs.) One thing I never hear much about, which I really enjoyed, was a set of over-sized cards -- I believe they were Topps cards -- that on the back had grooves, like a vinyl record, that you would play on a handheld device that came with them. The audio was the actual radio play-by-play of classic games and moments. I always thought this was a cool way to connect young fans with the sport's history.

I've talked about them before, but the early 90s ICEE baseball cups with the team jackets and logos on them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

This is an appropriate place as any to ask, but I seem to recall a set of football cards in the early to mid 90s that featured action shots of players superimposed over the skyline of their teams' city on the back. I think they've stuck in my mind because, if I'm remembering correctly, the Milwaukee skyline was used for the Packers rather than Green Bay (they still played at County Stadium at the time).

Did such a thing actually exist, am I conflating it with something else, or did I make the entire thing up?

I think Wild Card's 1993 set is what you're thinking of.

c878f24e-7d15-4e30-9d8b-0abc60b86058.jpg

I've gotten a few of these in those "100 Football cards" packs you buy at Target.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

I've talked about them before, but the early 90s ICEE baseball cups with the team jackets and logos on them.

I remember the NFL ICEE cups. I remember going to the local gas station and looking to see whIch team they were vending at the time. I remember screaming like a girl when I saw the Broncos finally being sold. I must have bought 10 ICEEs before they were out of those cups. After all the teams had been used me & my brother just had cabinets full of NFL ICEE cups. I don't even think we got all the teams.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Everyone used to rock the Starter jackets/coats in the early 90s.

Here was one of the more popular Husker versions, complete with the belly pouch flap thing.

$(KGrHqF,!hUFEngyMo!GBRN5(iQprg~~60_35.J

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I have a stack of these at my parents' house somewhere. I took the Angels, Expos and Brewers ones and have them at my place. They sit right next to my Dan Majerle Dream Team 2 McDonald's cup and my complete set of vintage WWF (wrestling, not pandas) glasses.

119886075_amazoncom-nhl-new-york-rangers

Lil' Sports Brats. They must still make these because they had a bin of them at the gift shop at the Hockey Hall of Fame. I nearly re-purchased the Red Wings one I used to have. I do still have my Lions one...it's on my bookshelf.

Archived