• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wichita State's gotta be a lock for a 1 seed now, with UVA's loss and an unbeaten season is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. UVA's loss probably knocks them down to the 2 line, depending on an ACC tourney finish, if they can win the whole tourney and get wins against Duke, Syracuse, or North Carolina (1 or 2 of that trio), they'd have a shot but they'd probably need to win it to get back up there.

FSU really needed that win against Syracuse to bolster their resume, they need a win against one of the 4 I mentioned above to get in. I would break down Virginia's resume, but it's a little complicated with how many teams are in the state.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Nebraska pulls off the upset of Wisconsin to clench the #4 seed and a first round BYE in the B1G tourney. Only ONE team in the B1G's top 4 has been overlooked for a March Madness berth in 20-some years.

Not bad for a team picked to finish dead last in the conference at the beginning of the season.

Side note- Husker Ladies Hoops just clenched the B1G title over Iowa. Nebrasketball is in full swing.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Once again, three bids are on the line.

Metro Atlantic - Springfield, MA

#2 Manhattan Jaspers vs. #1 Iona Gaels

Records:

MAN: 24-7 (15-5)

IONA: 22-9 (17-3)

Even though the MAAC expanded this season, it's still Iona's world and the other teams are living in it. Case it point, the two titles in the last four seasons for the Gaels. The only thing preventing three out of five is Manhattan, who is seeking for their first trip to the Dance in ten years, where they made a huge splash with an upset. Can the Jaspers end the reign of Iona or do the Gaels repeat?

Colonial - Baltimore, MD

#3 William and Mary Tribe vs. #1 Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens

Records

W&M: 20-11 (10-6)

DEL: 24-9 (14-2)

It's a game of firsts in the CAA Championship. For Delaware, it's been a season of firsts for the team that represents the First State. The Blue Hens won the regular season crown and have reached the CAA Championship game for the first time ever, which is not bad for a team that's seeking it's first trip to the Dance in 15 years. Their opponent, William and Mary, is one of the infamous few who have never been to the Big Dance before. The Tribe have been in this game and in this spot before but have failed to capitalize on it. Which team makes history in the Charm City?

Southern - Asheville, NC

#5 Western Carolina Catamounts vs. #3 Wofford Terriers

Records

WCU: 19-14 (10-6)

WOF: 19-12 (11-5)

Despite the chaos that went through the tourny and seeing it's top two seeds go down, the SoCon got a tourny final that conference fans are happy to see because both Western Carolina and Wofford aren't jumping ship anytime soon. The Catamounts are seeking their first trip back in nearly 20 years while Wofford is seeking for their 3rd trip since 2010. Which school will raise the SoCon banner high and become the champ?

I'd be really surprised to see Purdue fire Painter. They gave him a pretty big raise/extension when the Mizzou job opened up a couple years ago. They're not going to throw away over $2M a year for the next five years.

Oh and give me Delaware in the CAA championship, they're probably my favorite upset candidate if they make the tourney and don't get a bad matchup.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

so what big name schools will fire there coaches?? my guesses:

Purdue

Washington St.

Vandy

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

Alabama

Wouldn't be surprised if Tech ousted theirs as well.

It sucks to see them fire a good coach like Greenberg over 1 bad season, I mean c'mon, we're not even a basketball school a few bubble years and then one bad year gets you fired? It was ridiculous, I wish we had him now.

Purdue

Washington St.

Vandy

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

Alabama

It sucks to see them fire a good coach like Greenberg over 1 bad season, I mean c'mon, we're not even a basketball school a few bubble years and then one bad year gets you fired? It was ridiculous, I wish we had him now.

One bad season? He only made the tournament once in eight seasons. If you are in a major conference, having that little success in getting an at-large bid is pretty d@mn hard to do.

Purdue

Washington St.

Vandy

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

Alabama

One bad season? He only made the tournament once in eight seasons. If you are in a major conference, having that little success in getting an at-large bid is pretty d@mn hard to do.

Also was tech pissed that some assistants left??

Purdue

Washington St.

Vandy

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

Alabama

He had several years where the team was on the "bubble", I think there was 5 years where they got thrown into the NIT bracket, and 4 of those were as a Top 4 seed. Especially his second-to-last season there, where they were spurned out of the Tourney despite beating teams like #1 Duke that year, for teams like UAB and VCU (although VCU actually backed up their bid in the tournament that at the time, had much inferior resumes. It wasn't just my bias, people EVERYWHERE were bashing the committee.

That's not bad for a school where basketball rides a backseat to Football. Only 1 truly "bad year", as in more losses than wins, and look at how bad it's been since he's left too.

You can add Wofford to the list as well.

As for tomorrow, there are four bids up for grabs.

Horizon League

#5 Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers at #3 Wright State Raiders

Records

UWM: 20-13 (7-9)

WRST: 20-13 (10-6)

The Horizon League has seen some major changes, but the goal of reaching the tournament is still the same. For Wright State, it's an absolute lucky break that they get to host this game and they can thank their opponent for it. Milwaukee has pulled off two big upsets in route to this game, the biggest being the overtime win over archrival Wisconsin-Green Bay in the semis on Saturday. Which team sees their ticket punched?

Northeast

#4 Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers at #1 Robert Morris Colonials

Records

MSM: 15-16 (9-7)

RMU: 21-12 (14-2)

Once again, Robert Morris ran roughshod through the NEC regular season. Last year, they got knocked off by LIU Brooklyn in the title game, but got a huge break when they got to host mighty Kentucky in the first round of the NIT. Robert Morris won that game and give the program something worthwhile. Now, the Colonials are in the same spot... this time, it's Mount St. Mary's who stands in the way. Can the Colonials break through or is it back to the NIT for them?

Summit League - Sioux Falls, SD

#2 IPFW Mastodons vs. #1 North Dakota State Bison

Records

IPFW: 24-9 (10-4)

NDSU: 24-6 (12-2)

North Dakota State has become quite the sporting powerhouse as of late. The football program has back-to-back FCS championships and the basketball team is on the cusp of getting back to the Dance for the first time in 5 years. Not bad for a school from Fargo. But, in order to reach those goals they must get past Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne, or IPFW for short. The Mastodons have never reached the tourny, let alone reached this point in program history. Will the Bison continue their sporting domination or will the Mastodons make history in Sioux Falls?

West Coast - Las Vegas, NV

#2 BYU Cougars vs. #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs

Records

BYU: 23-10 (13-5)

GON: 27-6 (15-3)

Every year, it's the same thing in the West Coast Conference. Gonzaga still rules this conference with an iron fist and some good basketball to go with it. To remain top dog, they must take care of a new rival: BYU. The Cougars can put score with the best of teams and have beaten Gonzaga already on their home floor. Can BYU take the rubber match or does the reign of Gonzaga live on?

Purdue

Washington St.

Vandy

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

Alabama

He had several years where the team was on the "bubble", I think there was 5 years where they got thrown into the NIT bracket, and 4 of those were as a Top 4 seed. Especially his second-to-last season there, where they were spurned out of the Tourney despite beating teams like #1 Duke that year, for teams like UAB and VCU (although VCU actually backed up their bid in the tournament that at the time, had much inferior resumes. It wasn't just my bias, people EVERYWHERE were bashing the committee.

That's not bad for a school where basketball rides a backseat to Football. Only 1 truly "bad year", as in more losses than wins, and look at how bad it's been since he's left too.

Tech gagged up too many bad losses in those years for the freak wins to balance them out. Especially after Christmas. For frak's sake the 2009-2010 team lost to a bad Miami team. Twice. The team that beat #1 Duke finished the regular season lost to fellow bubble team Clemson at the end of the regular season. Greenberg deserved to go.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Joe Biden's Blue Hens punch their ticket, first time in 15 years.

Congrats to the Fightin' Blue Hens. I used to live in Delaware and have been to a couple Delaware games. The First State is largely overshadowed by sports teams in Pennsylvania, maybe this year UD can make some noise in the Tournament. I have them projected as 12 seed in the West Region matching up against UCLA. Delaware could also be a 13 seed.

What would be the difference? For starters how North Dakota State fairs in the Summit League Championship Game tonight. If NDSU wins, they'll probably push Delaware out of the 12 seed line due to their victory of the Fightin' Blue Hens. Should IPFW take the league title, Delaware should hold steady on the 12 line.

Don't know much first hand about the other two teams that clinched yesterday, other than looking at the stats and games. I project Wofford as a 16 seed to face Coastal Carolina in the First Round game in Dayton, with the winner getting a meeting with the Florida Gators in the South Region.

Manhattan I project as 13 seed and matching up with Iowa State in the Midwest Region.

Archived