At halftime, Cal State Bakersfield leads New Mexico State 35-26 in the WAC Semifinals.

Should the Roadrunners hang on, they'd face Idaho in the WAC Championship game...that would mean a 14-18 team vs. a 16-17 one (have two teams with overall losing records ever met in any conference title game before?)...how the mighty have fallen, from arguably the strongest mid-major twenty years ago to a FIrst Four qualifier today.

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At halftime, Cal State Bakersfield leads New Mexico State 35-26 in the WAC Semifinals.

Should the Roadrunners hang on, they'd face Idaho in the WAC Championship game...that would mean a 14-18 team vs. a 16-17 one (have two teams with overall losing records ever met in any conference title game before?)...how the mighty have fallen, from arguably the strongest mid-major twenty years ago to a FIrst Four qualifier today.

20 years ago, the A-10 was still stronger...much stronger.

20 years ago, the A-10 was still stronger...much stronger.

And they've only gotten stronger since...to the point where I no longer consider them a "mid-major".

bYhYmxh.png

UPDATE: Never mind...NMSU came back, and it looks like the Aggies are gonna pull this off after all.

So the WAC title game is between the schools which stuck by until the bitter end when it announced it would cease sponsorship of football.

bYhYmxh.png

UPDATE: Never mind...NMSU came back, and it looks like the Aggies are gonna pull this off after all.

So the WAC title game is between the schools which stuck by until the bitter end when it announced it would cease sponsorship of football.

They stayed because nobody wanted them, not because they wanted to stay.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Arizona continues to play nails on defense, then they should beat UCLA tomorrow. The Bruins have looked strong though the last couple nights, winning by a combined 44 points(they were coming off a bizarre crushing at the hands of WSU), but Arizona has HELD their 2 opps. to 41 ppg. Fortunately AZ should hold onto a one seed since losing to UCLA won't wreck their resume.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

If Arizona continues to play nails on defense, then they should beat UCLA tomorrow. The Bruins have looked strong though the last couple nights, winning by a combined 44 points(they were coming off a bizarre crushing at the hands of WSU), but Arizona has HELD their 2 opps. to 41 ppg. Fortunately AZ should hold onto a one seed since losing to UCLA won't wreck their resume.

Seeds are overrated. Arizona will be put in San Diego and Anaheim.

Match-ups within 36 hours are more important.

Well, Idaho's coming back to the Big Sky for all sports except football next year (IMHO, they should have football come back too and be National Championship contenders again).

As for NMSU, I could reasonably see them headed to Conference USA someday (the Battle of I-10 rivalry with UTEP would then be elevated)

bYhYmxh.png

Well, Idaho's coming back to the Big Sky for all sports except football next year (IMHO, they should have football come back too and be National Championship contenders again).

As for NMSU, I could reasonably see them headed to Conference USA someday (the Battle of I-10 rivalry with UTEP would then be elevated)

Isn't NMSU going to the sun belt? Or is that for football only?

Isn't NMSU going to the sun belt? Or is that for football only?

That's football only.

I still think Green Bay is the last team in.

So far teams in the nit:

UC irvine

Vermont

Boston u

UVU

Green bay(if they don't get in)

Southern

Davidson

Robert Morris

Any others I'm missing??

You forgot Florida Gulf Coast, High Point, Iona and Belmont...also Southern is ineligible for postseason because of APR sanctions.
Ahhh damn that's alot. If southern was ineligible why was they playing in the SWAC tourney?(at least they lost 1st round)

Because four SWAC teams were ineligible, so the SWAC got a special exemption from the NCAA to have all teams in the conference tourney. Had an ineligible team won it, the bid would go to the eligible team which advanced the furthest (if all eligible teams had been eliminated, the tiebreaker would go to who advanced furthest, then to seed).

Good grief, what a mess, they should of fofited the auto-bid then. Glad it never came to that.

Making one of the two HBCU conferences forfeit an auto-bid has really terrible optics.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I still think Green Bay is the last team in.

So far teams in the nit:

UC irvine

Vermont

Boston u

UVU

Green bay(if they don't get in)

Southern

Davidson

Robert Morris

Any others I'm missing??

You forgot Florida Gulf Coast, High Point, Iona and Belmont...also Southern is ineligible for postseason because of APR sanctions.
Ahhh damn that's alot. If southern was ineligible why was they playing in the SWAC tourney?(at least they lost 1st round)

Because four SWAC teams were ineligible, so the SWAC got a special exemption from the NCAA to have all teams in the conference tourney. Had an ineligible team won it, the bid would go to the eligible team which advanced the furthest (if all eligible teams had been eliminated, the tiebreaker would go to who advanced furthest, then to seed).
Good grief, what a mess, they should of fofited the auto-bid then. Glad it never came to that.

Making one of the two HBCU conferences forfeit an auto-bid has really terrible optics.

Well if u can't afford to play with the big boys (grambling) or keep up the APR then go to div 2.

Quite a few have accused the NCAA of racism for instituting this APR policy...personally I think it's the OPPOSITE since they're making every school go by the same standards. (What WOULD be racism is if they decided HBCUs couldn't meet the standards so they have to lower them for them).

But I digress...so far Albany and Tulsa clinched autobids today (by beating Stony Brook and Louisiana Tech in the conference title games, respectively)

bYhYmxh.png

Archived