Runner pulls out of championships because her number was ’666′

winters in buffalo

I might get lit up for this but...

She's silly for reacting that way. But so are the race organizers. It's a simple change and I don't understand why you'd want anyone uncomfortable. Even if you find it silly and superstitious I don't know why you'd purposely make someone run with it. It's a simple and perhaps silly change, but it's hardly a big deal to assign a new bib number.

If I ran that race, I never would have even printed one with 666 knowing the potential issues...

If I ran that race, I never would have even printed one with 666 knowing the potential issues...

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm sure they've run into this before. Why not just skip it, like the 13th floor?

Exactly, it may seem silly to some people, but for deeply christian people the number 666 is offensive and it is better to avoid it all together.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm sure they've run into this before. Why not just skip it, like the 13th floor?

Exactly, it may seem silly to some people, but for deeply christian people the number 666 is offensive and it is better to avoid it all together.

I'm Catholic and am at a Catholic school and I remember one one of my religion teachers saying that even though the number is "the devils number" it still just a number that comes up in everyday life. But then again Catholics seem to be the most liberal with stuff like that, unless it's the gays.

But yeah just skip that number if this is going to happen.

IbjBaeE.png

She's silly for reacting that way. But so are the race organizers. It's a simple change and I don't understand why you'd want anyone uncomfortable. Even if you find it silly and superstitious I don't know why you'd purposely make someone run with it. It's a simple and perhaps silly change, but it's hardly a big deal to assign a new bib number.

As a non-religious person who almost never sides with the religious on such matters, I agree. Just give her a new number.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm Catholic and am at a Catholic school and I remember one one of my religion teachers saying that even though the number is "the devils number" it still just a number that comes up in everyday life. But then again Catholics seem to be the most liberal with stuff like that, unless it's the gays.

As a fellow Catholic, this statement is a boat load of crap. Go to any Catholic-heavy neighborhood here in SoCal for example and you'll see how "liberal" the church is. From all the teenagers having 3-4 kids because their parents told them that "abortion and contraception are the devil" to them saying that "dating a person or having friends from another race is a sin," the Catholic headmen in here are neo-conservative, Orthodox watchdogs. Especially in dense Latino neighborhoods in Mid-City and Westlake-Alvarado, the idea of a "liberal Catholic" is an oxymoron at best. I might be one of the rare Catholics who are in favor of gay marriage, abortion and mixed race dating, but I wouldn't dare to even think of saying such herressey in this city. Not with such extremists running the Catholic church.

As a fellow Catholic, this statement is a boat load of crap. Go to any Catholic-heavy neighborhood here in SoCal for example and you'll see how "liberal" the church is. From all the teenagers having 3-4 kids because their parents told them that "abortion and contraception are the devil" to them saying that "dating a person or having friends from another race is a sin," the Catholic headmen in here are neo-conservative, Orthodox watchdogs. Especially in dense Latino neighborhoods in Mid-City and Westlake-Alvarado, the idea of a "liberal Catholic" is an oxymoron at best. I might be one of the rare Catholics who are in favor of gay marriage, abortion and mixed race dating, but I wouldn't dare to even think of saying such herressey in this city. Not with such extremists running the Catholic church.

And with that, the thread turns south.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Roman Catholics are very strict on abortion, contraception and gay marriage. It's not a sin to be gay, just to act on it ;)​ . However, they are generally much more liberal than many of their counterparts in other areas. They do not believe the entire Bible is meant to be taken literally, for example. The Church accepts evolution. They believe in dinosaurs (which is a bigger deal than it sounds, based on some of the people I've met). I seriously think you'd be hard-pressed to find an anti-miscegenation Church document from the last 300 years, if ever. They are very rigid on things they are rigid on, but surprisingly malleable on others. I think that is what the poster was referring to. The new Pope even seems to be shaking up some of the "rigid" stuff.

If there are neighborhoods where "having a friend from another race is a sin", then that's on that neighborhood, not the Church.

As a non-religious person who almost never sides with the religious on such matters, I agree. Just give her a new number.

I do wonder, if this is anything like how they organise a marathon, in which the number was assigned onto a computer and she wore a chip on her shoelace that represents the number. So, when she asked for a change, the orgainisers could not find a way to reassign a number in time.

I saw, I came, I left.

Roman Catholics are very strict on abortion, contraception and gay marriage. It's not a sin to be gay, just to act on it ;)​ . However, they are generally much more liberal than many of their counterparts in other areas. They do not believe the entire Bible is meant to be taken literally, for example. The Church accepts evolution. They believe in dinosaurs (which is a bigger deal than it sounds, based on some of the people I've met). I seriously think you'd be hard-pressed to find an anti-miscegenation Church document from the last 300 years, if ever. They are very rigid on things they are rigid on, but surprisingly malleable on others. I think that is what the poster was referring to. The new Pope even seems to be shaking up some of the "rigid" stuff.

If there are neighborhoods where "having a friend from another race is a sin", then that's on that neighborhood, not the Church.

This is what I was meaning.

IbjBaeE.png

As an Anglican(Protestant, whatever), I think she's being absolutely stupid. But if she's really going to pull out of the race, just give her a different bib. It's not really that big of a deal.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

As a fellow Catholic...

As a Catholic you should know...

...to them saying that "dating a person or having friends from another race is a sin,"

...that interracial marriage is not a sin in the eyes of the Catholic Church. In fact it's never been a sin according to the Catholic Church.

Why are the officials getting so much heat for this? It's a ridiculous stand for the runner to take. I am speaking as a catholic here. To say the number itself is bad takes it entirely out of context. Rather than sulking off, if she had explained her issue calmly to the official perhaps they might have been more understanding. Would she have complained about the number 7 as there are 7 deadly sins?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

the idea of a "liberal Catholic" is an oxymoron at best

And yet Catholics voted for Obama in 2012

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/11/obama-wins-with-the-catholic-vote/

But the point that Catholics tend to hold fast to more 'conservative' positions on matters of faith is generally correct. Hardly surprising though that followers of a faith might actually hold he positions of that faith!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived