2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. England and Spain done in the opening round. Whould've thunk it?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Well, everyone's been saying these past few years that we need to try to emulate Spain. So far, so good.

Well, everyone's been saying these past few years that we need to try to emulate Spain. So far, so good.

You're a native Englander right? My dad is an immigrant and said that part of the reason why England has struggled so much has been because they buy other talent for the EPL so they don't teach their own youth as much as they used to. You concur?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Just have to rely on Italy to beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and then England to beat Costa Rica by lots of goals. Mathematically still in it.

Thats me clutching at straws.

glory10.png

Probably a weird day to be a Liverpool fan.

Cheer for Wayne Rooney. Crushed by Luis Suarez (the second on a miscue by Gerrard).

Oof.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Cheer for Wayne Rooney. Crushed by Luis Suarez (the second on a miscue by Gerrard).

Oof.

Correction: a weird day to be an English Liverpool fan. For an American Liverpool fan like myself, that match was nothing but enthralling and I couldn't be happier for Suárez. Nothing beats taking it to a team stacked with five of your club teammates and some of your most talented rivals by scoring a brace to win a crucial match in the World Cup.

25yzwqg.png

You're a native Englander right? My dad is an immigrant and said that part of the reason why England has struggled so much has been because they buy other talent for the EPL so they don't teach their own youth as much as they used to. You concur?

In short, it seems many managers are too quick to bring in foreign talent at the expense of nurturing youngsters - part of this is due to the fact that it's a rather brutal and unforgiving results-based business and they daren't risk youth over imports who have proven their quality abroad. But there's a big lack of investment in youth and grass roots football here which means we aren't getting the best out of what we have.

Oof.

Correction: a weird day to be an English Liverpool fan. For an American Liverpool fan like myself, that match was nothing but enthralling and I couldn't be happier for Suárez. Nothing beats taking it to a team stacked with five of your club teammates and some of your most talented rivals by scoring a brace to win a crucial match in the World Cup.

I guess I'd say it was a bad day to be an American Everton fan (or rather "supporter") because I really don't like Suarez or any of his English teammates.

That said, Greece-Japan was a great end to the day.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

What a day for football...England gets eliminated from contention of progressing to the Knockout Stage (losses to both Uruguay and Italy, even with Italy having a match in hand). Same old England comes out to play...no creativity, no real pressure on Uruguay closing down the open spaces, atrocious defending by Cahill, Jagielka and Johnson today. Plus great assist by Gerrard on Suarez's second goal :P Gerrard and Sterling had sub par performances...

As well, Colombia qualifies for Round of 16 the second time, first being in Italia '90. Great job for them!

What a day for football...England gets eliminated from contention of progressing to the Knockout Stage (losses to both Uruguay and Italy, even with Italy having a match in hand). Same old England comes out to play...

England is actually still alive. If Italy sweeps the group, and England defeats Costa Rica, that will put England, Uruguay, and Costa Rica all at three points.

Since goal difference is higher priority on the tiebreaker than head-to- head, England could possibly overtake Uruguay despite losing to them.

(Determining these scenarios is so much fun. I spent a good hour mapping out all the crazy outcomes that would've been needed to eliminate the Dutch before Spain lost.)

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

CONCACAF has come out to play in this tournament.

If things stand the way they are it will 4-1-1 so far in this tournament.

The American teams in general are pretty strong this time. CONCACAF and CONMEBOL. Africa and Asia is pretty disappointing on the other side.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived