Not Another MLB Redo

ScoffingYayap

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ScooffingYayap great series so far but I gotta ask are you using svg or ai files for the Angel's wordmarks? reason I'm asking is because I cannot find them anywhere...

I thought that the Angels didn't have one good overall logo, so I decided to combine a bunch. I used their 90s wordmark, recolored of course. I combined that style A with the current halo which faces up, because the one they used back then faced down and looked poor. The sleeve logo was a combination of one of the original LA Angels logos with the current A, and I colored in the wings. I use Photoshop with all of my work.

We round out the American League with the Seattle Mariners. Personally, I think they have a very good look, but with a few tweaks they could look outstanding. I changed the wordmarks to have northwest green (Or teal, if you prefer) as the main color. The home uniforms use just the S without the baseball compass, while the roadies use just the compass. I used the old Astros number font, because it works much better with the set than standard block or the other font they use (Which, interestingly, is the old Diamondbacks font). I debated on adding a vest with just the S+compass, but it didn't turn out so well. Here they are!

exyvR8g.jpg

I'll be adding the NL West next, with minimal changes to the Dodgers and Giants, and my personal favorite from this whole project, the Padres. I'll likely also include the Diamondbacks in the next post.

First, a fix to the Mariners. I also removed the compass to match the home alternate.

2WFfg13.jpg

Now we have the whole NL West. We start off with the best of the west, the San Francisco Giants. I love almost everything about their uniforms, so they are largely the same, but there are indeed small changes. I debated on removing the gold drop shadow, but I feel like it's the only good drop shadow in baseball, and it feels like the Giants to me when I see it. The Giants' baseball logo just doesn't work on a uniform sleeve to me, so I changed it to the circle logo, but added in the Golden Gate Bridge. The road returns to its pre-2012 state (I have no idea why they changed the trim, and then matched it to their new jersey). The orange jersey has trim reminiscent of their old 70s jersey (Although if you look closey, you'll notice it's black and cream to match the wordmark and the home jerseys. The road alternate removes the orange trim from the sleeves because it just didn't go quite right with the stripes down the middle.

NOPWQk3.jpg

Next up are the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have the best uniform in baseball. However, I did change them a tad. Notice the removal of the redundant sleeve logo and the trim on the road jersey's sleeves.

NWPqD0t.jpg

The Colorado Rockies current uniforms just do not work for me. Their home uniforms look like the White Sox, and they shy away from the color purple. I removed all black from their identity (Besides the belt, but purple belts are too much to me). Their home jersey is based on their current road (As is their road jersey). Their road hats also use just the "C" and not the "CR."

7HRn3B3.jpg

The Arizona Diamondbacks have a big overhaul, although they retain their colors, but they use cream instead of white. I used the old wordmarks (Without the angles) and added unique piping to them. The "A" logo is now their standard hat logo, and the snake "D" is on the alternate. The colored jerseys can also be worn on the road.

qj4Fm66.jpg

And here comes my favorite remake from this whole project - the San Diego Padres. I'm a big advocate of them going back to brown and yellow, but I do like a lot of elements of their current design. The home script gets rid of the awkward underline, and I added the block "San Diego" above the home script, like their 1978 jerseys (http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.70800.1384411549!/img/httpImage/sports-all-time-ugliest-uniforms-san-diego-padres.jpg). I included my idea of wearing yellow pants (Only on rare occasions) with the brown jersey. Now, in real life with players wearing baggy pants, this would likely look terrible, but in a picture perfect world this could work every now and then. To continue the military appreciation thing the Pads do, I created a uniform that somewhat mimics the formal uniforms the American military uses. Everything else mostly speaks for itself. (As a side note, Photoshop had an issue while converting this to a .jpg, so the colors are sort of washed, but I think all that's really affected is the road color and the skin tones of the guys. The road jersey color is back to the sand color they used up until 2011)

ZMmI4vS.jpg

We round out the American League with the Seattle Mariners. Personally, I think they have a very good look, but with a few tweaks they could look outstanding. I changed the wordmarks to have northwest green (Or teal, if you prefer) as the main color. The home uniforms use just the S without the baseball compass, while the roadies use just the compass. I used the old Astros number font, because it works much better with the set than standard block or the other font they use (Which, interestingly, is the old Diamondbacks font). I debated on adding a vest with just the S+compass, but it didn't turn out so well. Here they are!

exyvR8g.jpg

I'll be adding the NL West next, with minimal changes to the Dodgers and Giants, and my personal favorite from this whole project, the Padres. I'll likely also include the Diamondbacks in the next post.

That number font really doesn't work. You have a smooth rounded numbers with heavily serifed and pointed letters. The font they currently use on the navy alternates is a much better font.

The Rockies home purple hat, with the CR, is a million times better than just the C.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I love what you did with the boring Rays by fixing them a better color scheme and the White Sox adding red back into their uniforms. However, I prefer a "Sox" hat with the current calligraphy over a "C". Maybe do a red drop shadow it outline?

The Padres look the way the need to look. That tiny "SAN DIEGO" on the home primary is unnecessary but otherwise it's perfect.

Great work.

87Redskins.png

ugh... predictable padres.

Predictable, but it stands out from the rest of the pack, and that's something the Padres currently lack. They look just like the Brewers and the Rays, and at some quick glances, the Tigers. My big idea for this project is for every team to stand out on their own. If you could make the Padres look great and stand out while still wearing blue (Or any other colors you can think of), I'd love to see it.

Archived