2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Austin Dillon done anything noteworthy this season?

Not really. I mean, he's been consistent, currently in the Chase Field, but only has one top 5 coming in the rain-shortened Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. His only pole was for the Daytona 500, but was through single-car qualifying.

I personally think Larson will win before Dillon. Heck, Larson will probably have a couple wins before Austin finally wins. AD3 is basically consistent. He wasn't dominant in his time in the Trucks and Possible-Xfinity-Series-but-is-now-Nationwide-Series. Heck, he didn't even win a race when he won his NNS title. He just collected a lot of decent finishes and beat who he needed to in order to win the Series.

If you would've asked me back in January on what I thought about Larson and AD, I would've said Larson wasn't quite ready and Dillon would win a race or two. Now my opinions have flip-flopped some.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

If history tells us anything, we're not gonna get a first-time winner quite yet.

At the Brickyard- only Paul Menard has done so. Closest was Gordon's 2nd ever-win in the '94 inaugural.

Pocono- only Denny Hamlin and Jeremy Mayfield.

Watkins Glen- Ambrose.

Michigan summer race- other than Dale Jarrett's epic '91 win, I can't recall any (Biffle won race #2 of his career in '04)

I think the best shot might be Bristol- 5 noteable drivers have won race #1 here (Earnhardt Sr., Rusty, Irvan, Sadler, Kurt Busch).

And don't forget Atlanta (Carl Edwards, Harvick by inches)

Looks like Ambrose may be going home.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/07/26/petty-ambrose-must-decide-future/

NASCAR legend Richard Petty has floated the possibility of Marcos Ambrose running a part-time program in the United States next season as he waits for notice on the Australian’s 2015 plans.

The 37-year-old Ambrose has been linked to Team Penske’s potential V8 Supercars effort since news of the US giant’s interest in the Australian championship broke late last year.

As outlined on Friday, Ambrose is understood to have made preliminary preparations to return home to Australia but, along with Dick Johnson Racing and V8 Supercars itself, he is awaiting confirmation of whether a Penske V8 effort will go ahead.

baltimoreravens.png

I heard about that earlier. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back home, but there will be one less smile in the garage area, that's for sure.

The real question is this: If he does go, who replaces him? I don't see anyone in NNS competition (that's up-and-coming) that would fill the 9.

While typing this, I had an idea: What if Elliott Sadler jumps back into Cup, opening up the 11 NNS car for Darrell Wallace Jr. Then Erik Jones could run the 54 in the Truck Series while KB18 looks for another up-and-coming talent to run the 51 truck part time with him.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Sadler already rode with Petty, and it didn't work.

I think he's happy enough in Nationwide by itself.

Speaking of Sadler- wasn't it just a decade ago at this time he was, if not a star, at least at his height of his career as a top 10 threat and consistent driver.

He was in the top 10 all year, drove a sweet M&M's Ford Taurus for the still-potent Robert Yates Racing, teammate of Dale Jarrett.

Career year in '04, would have made the Chase in '05 if it had 12 spots and had 4 poles, had a good '06 Speedweeks, then just fell off the face of the earth.

He never adjusted to Ford Fusion- His best days were in the Taurus

Has Austin Dillon done anything noteworthy this season?

Espaced through the 26-car wreck at the Coke Zero 400.

3 top 10 qualifying positions in the 1st 4 races.

Pole at Daytona.

Bunches of Top 20 finishes.

2 top tens (both at Daytona)

Everybody,qualifying is at 2:10 EST on ESPN2!

Half the damn field gets a top 20 every week. And Daytona is a crap shoot -- not all that impressive of a place to have your only top tens, especially with how much of the field was involved in wrecks in the last race there. Not to say he's been bad but if I'm picking a rookie to win, it's Larson.

IUe6Hvh.png

"Thank you Lord!" - Ty after his win.

That burnout where the car was standing still on the start/finish line was truly an amazing sight. Sr. Would've been proud.

That's the happiest I've seen any driver after a win.

That's because CGR has better engines than RCR.

That's because they come from the Evil Empire: Hendrick

How come Hendrick always gets the Evil Empire tag?

I've never seen other teams get such comparisons- not Roush/Yates/Gibbs/Childress, or even the old and dominant Junior Johnson team.

Why so?

That burnout where the car was standing still on the start/finish line was truly an amazing sight. Sr. Would've been proud.

That's me too.

Man,I was watching a couple of laps between laps 20 & 30 but when I saw that Ty won I was soooooo happy!

I nominate that for POTD.

There was is no sadder scene than a non-Cup or 500 race at Indy.

There was is no sadder scene than a non-Cup or 500 race at Indy.
My point was mainly seeing a black #3 win at Indy live. I wasn't born yet when Sr. won at Indy. Just seeing that still burnout gave me chills. The crowd at that race was sad though, especially after seeing Austin and his buddy/relative having a whole section of the grandstands to themselves.

How come Hendrick always gets the Evil Empire tag?

I've never seen other teams get such comparisons- not Roush/Yates/Gibbs/Childress, or even the old and dominant Junior Johnson team.

Why so?

If you read the Twitter feeds of supposed NASCAR fans, they're always calling Hendrick evil, monopolizing the speed of both Cup (through his teams, SHR, and CGRwFS) and Nationwide, with JR Motorsports. To those of us that know better, it's like calling the Yankees the Evil Empire.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived