CFL 2020: A League-Wide Rebrand (16/16 ATLANTIC AND WINDSOR POSTED)

Edubdesign

Imagine this if you will.

It's 2020. The CFL is becoming more and more popular all over Canada, and numbers of fans are increasing.

Nike takes over the uniform and apparel contracts from Reebok, and each team gets redesigns.

In addition, riding a high Canadian dollar and the building of more high-quality stadia all over Canada, the CFL expands dramatically; from 9 teams to a whopping 16 teams. 7 teams will play in the West, and 9 will play in the East.

Here are the first two teams to be redesigned by Nike for the 2020 season; the BC Lions and the expansion Victoria Lumberjacks.

U6SDFU3.pngINIrP8O.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely like these concepts, these are great. I would, however, like to see you clean up the Lions jerseys, specifically the scraping claw and the numbers. I also think blue and red, or blue only would be a nice colour combo for Victoria. I'm not too sure on this, I would like to see it, if you don't mind.

Another thought that I had, I think that maybe Victoria would try to have a say in BC being renamed Vancouver, so that Victoria would reach more fans throughout the province. Of course, there's cases like the Florida Panthers and the Lightning, but I doubt anyone would want to be a fan of the Panthers anyway. :P

Impressive! Can't wait to keep following. BC looks fantastic with their stripes and coloring. Great design. I like the stripes and paw on the shoulder, but try the paw on the shoulder, instead of the stripes, flip it around. I also think the BC primary should always be used on the helmet exept for an alternate. Throw in a bit more detail, that guy's good to go. Victoria is perfect, love the color combo, and the plad works very well. just make the logo less real looking and try an alternate.

Nice work, but I'm curious as to why you've thrown an extra team in the East instead of the west. I feel like some cleaning up could be done, and maybe add an accent color for BC? I don't know. Consider me interested, though. I'll stay tuned to this.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

OK, time for a good ol' fashioned bulk reply:

I can't see the images...

I don't think there's anything wrong with the image host; maybe you're having a difficulty with the site.

Anyway, here are two direct links for you.

Here's BC: http://i.imgur.com/U6SDFU3.png

And here's Victoria: http://i.imgur.com/j7tnsjK.png

I hope those work for you.

Amazing to say the least. Maybe a red alternate for Victoria?

Thank you kindly, Jake. I'm not designing alternates for the new teams just yet; I'll release those once all 16 teams are unveiled. (And by the way, I'm pretty sure Victoria's alternate will be red. Sshhhh.)

The use of plaid on Victoria's uniforms is beautiful! :notworthy:

Thanks very much Jmoe, glad to see you like it!

I've seen a concept where half of the uniform was plaid.....Thank you for using it sparingly, makes for a much more realistic concept. Please tell me Ottawa finds a better nickname by 2020?

Thanks for the compliment, Kw. (I hope that's right.) There's no way full-body plaid would ever look good on a football jersey, so I'm glad you like the way it is now. Ottawa will have a different name, and I'm hoping you find it better than "REDBLACKS".

Nice work, but I'm curious as to why you've thrown an extra team in the East instead of the west. I feel like some cleaning up could be done, and maybe add an accent color for BC? I don't know. Consider me interested, though. I'll stay tuned to this.

I knew this was going to come up; the reason there's 7 teams in the West and 9 in the East is because there aren't that many high-population areas in Western Canada. I was thinking of putting another team in Southern Alberta and basing it in Lethbridge, but as it stands now, 7 and 9 looks to me like the most realistic option on the board.

And I hope you find the rest of this series satisfactory. Thanks for the feedback.

Impressive! Can't wait to keep following. BC looks fantastic with their stripes and coloring. Great design. I like the stripes and paw on the shoulder, but try the paw on the shoulder, instead of the stripes, flip it around. I also think the BC primary should always be used on the helmet exept for an alternate. Throw in a bit more detail, that guy's good to go. Victoria is perfect, love the color combo, and the plad works very well. just make the logo less real looking and try an alternate.

Hmmm. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "paw on the shoulder" thing. I want to try to keep that claw-scratch motif going, since it's certainly distinctive and something unique to the Lions.

I agree with you on the BC helmet: I'll put today's BC logo on the main helmet.

Glad to see you like the Lumberjacks, too. Once again, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "less real looking", but I think I know what you mean. All the alternates for the expansion teams will be posted after I've posted all 16 teams.

Victoria looks FANTASTIC!!!!

I agree, in a bizarre way of taking things super literally with the lumberjack plaid. The logo though looks very clip-art.

First off, thanks a ton, PackerFan. Glad to see you like it.

To SSoS (I hope that works), I can see how the logo comes off as clip-arty. I'll see if I can change that for a later update.

I definitely like these concepts, these are great. I would, however, like to see you clean up the Lions jerseys, specifically the scraping claw and the numbers. I also think blue and red, or blue only would be a nice colour combo for Victoria. I'm not too sure on this, I would like to see it, if you don't mind.

Another thought that I had, I think that maybe Victoria would try to have a say in BC being renamed Vancouver, so that Victoria would reach more fans throughout the province. Of course, there's cases like the Florida Panthers and the Lightning, but I doubt anyone would want to be a fan of the Panthers anyway. :P

Thanks JRB. I want to try to keep that scraping claw, but the numbers might need some work.

I'm not going to post a recoloured version of the Victoria set, though; one of the expansion teams is also in BC, and features blue heavily. I wanted to try to keep some colour separation between teams that are close geographically.

I also wanted to keep the "BC Lions" name because the team has had a lot of success with that name, and it's synonymous with Canadian football and west-coast sport. (That, and "Vancouver Lions" just doesn't sound as good as "BC Lions", to me at least.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I'll see if I can make a tweak or two to each of them, but I'll post the next two teams before I post the tweaks.

For the next post, we're going out east.

LOVE Victoria. Those plaid stripes are beautiful, and the color scheme is perfect. I think the issue people have with the logo being "too real" and "clipart-y" is that it's a little too photorealistic and detailed. I would simplify it a little bit.

I like these. My only recommendation would be to put stripes on the Cavaliers' white socks, and to make the bottom half of the blue socks white.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Cheers to your creativity.

Thanks for the tip on the Quebec socks. I tried it, and it looks pretty good. I'll post it with my BC update in a few days.

Bump for visibility (since this got buried quick)

Archived