Northwestern Univ. football players attempts to unionize

CS85

Ago.

College athletes, EVERY ONE, should receive some kind of stipend, for the simple reason of allowing them to get something to eat when the cafeteria closes.

Cafeteria? That model of dining services on a campus is long gone. The failure to monitor the monies on one's dining card is a bigger issue since many send Pell Grant money back home.

Training tables or no, there are much more campus options than a decade ago with extended hours.

Not always. Are female field hockey players allowed to join the football players at their training tables? Can the soccer player join the basketball team?

Also, not every college has extended hours, not every college so many options.

Your premise for a stipend due to hunger is still false.

From Infante:

This is what a full scholarship student-athlete can receive in terms of food:

Meal plan that includes three meals per day;

One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;

Food provided at the institutions discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;

Either food provided at the institutions discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;

Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods, plus an additional meal each day;

Energy bars and other carbohydrate boosters;

and Fruits, nuts and bagels (now with spreads).

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2014/04/07/athletes-claims-of-going-hungry-cannot-be-dismissed-generally.htm

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ago.

College athletes, EVERY ONE, should receive some kind of stipend, for the simple reason of allowing them to get something to eat when the cafeteria closes.

Cafeteria? That model of dining services on a campus is long gone. The failure to monitor the monies on one's dining card is a bigger issue since many send Pell Grant money back home.

Training tables or no, there are much more campus options than a decade ago with extended hours.

Not always. Are female field hockey players allowed to join the football players at their training tables? Can the soccer player join the basketball team?

Also, not every college has extended hours, not every college so many options.

Your premise for a stipend due to hunger is still false.

From Infante:

This is what a full scholarship student-athlete can receive in terms of food:

Meal plan that includes three meals per day;

One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;

Food provided at the institutions discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;

Either food provided at the institutions discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;

Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods, plus an additional meal each day;

Energy bars and other carbohydrate boosters;

and Fruits, nuts and bagels (now with spreads).

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2014/04/07/athletes-claims-of-going-hungry-cannot-be-dismissed-generally.htm

This is what a full scholarship student-athlete can receive in terms of food

The keyword is CAN: This is not available at each and every school.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Ago.

I wouldn't say "long gone", exactly. When that guy said he had to go to bed hungry, the university said that athletes get the maximum meal plan allowed by the NCAA, whatever that means. At my alma mater, they have meal credits for use at the all-you-can-eat dining halls, "dining dollars" for use at vending machines and other university-owned restaurants, and "campus cash" that can be used for food and merchandise at university and third party stores on and off campus. Does the NCAA allow schools to give student-athletes meal plans with these kinds of pseudo-currencies? I could see them saying no. I could see the school giving the athletes a full slate of meals at the dining halls that close at 7, but the team running practice until 6:30 on the other side of campus.

Ago.

I wouldn't say "long gone", exactly. When that guy said he had to go to bed hungry, the university said that athletes get the maximum meal plan allowed by the NCAA, whatever that means. At my alma mater, they have meal credits for use at the all-you-can-eat dining halls, "dining dollars" for use at vending machines and other university-owned restaurants, and "campus cash" that can be used for food and merchandise at university and third party stores on and off campus. Does the NCAA allow schools to give student-athletes meal plans with these kinds of pseudo-currencies? I could see them saying no. I could see the school giving the athletes a full slate of meals at the dining halls that close at 7, but the team running practice until 6:30 on the other side of campus.

Because the membership (small and large) realized that dining services lose money, they often farm them out as an auxiliary. The current system does recognize that many institutions dropped traditional cafeteria/dining halls and possess an 'a la carte' system of dining choices. NCAA 2013-31-A and 2013-31-B further deregulate the concept of meals/meal credits, since the dining hall concept is going away, however a cash allowance in exchange for a meal which may be missed during a practice is not permitted, as it would become a per diem. NCAA 2013-31-A is under review, but NCAA 2013-28 which gives max meal plan (or dollars per school) was adopted and will be effective August 1.

As Infante stated, if a player chooses to live off-campus, they receive a monthly stipend. Thus they have to use that to budget in meals, or place some money on their meal card.

Like another former athletic department worker blogged, most also are eligible for a Pell Grant or can tap the NCAA Special Assistance Fund.

Again, I think that the NCAA is in need for overhaul, but claiming that they need a stipend because of hunger is where I disagree because meals during the season have been deregulated to a large degree.

Is it possible for an athlete to get multiple scholarships to the point of where they have more money in scholarship than what the school tuition is and get a refund check. I know I got va, and yellow ribbon scholarships, along with some academic scholarships and got a $4000 refund check last month, is that allowed by the NCAA.

Ago.

Because the membership (small and large) realized that dining services lose money, they often farm them out as an auxiliary. The current system does recognize that many institutions dropped traditional cafeteria/dining halls and possess an 'a la carte' system of dining choices. NCAA 2013-31-A and 2013-31-B further deregulate the concept of meals/meal credits, since the dining hall concept is going away, however a cash allowance in exchange for a meal which may be missed during a practice is not permitted, as it would become a per diem. NCAA 2013-31-A is under review, but NCAA 2013-28 which gives max meal plan (or dollars per school) was adopted and will be effective August 1.

As Infante stated, if a player chooses to live off-campus, they receive a monthly stipend. Thus they have to use that to budget in meals, or place some money on their meal card.

Like another former athletic department worker blogged, most also are eligible for a Pell Grant or can tap the NCAA Special Assistance Fund.

Again, I think that the NCAA is in need for overhaul, but claiming that they need a stipend because of hunger is where I disagree because meals during the season have been deregulated to a large degree.

What about after the season, when the athlete is supposedly a student, just a student, again?

Ago.

What about after the season, when the athlete is supposedly a student, just a student, again?

Well they still go to practices and such so i dont think so

Ago.

A la carte dining at colleges is not exactly a whole lot better (by whatever standard of better you chose to use) than the cafeteria. Meal plan food sucks and is overpriced-bottom line.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ago.

They can work, thus they can earn money. In my life in higher ed, I have given scholarship athletes jobs in their off-season which were on campus, specifically football, basketball and volleyball. International students (BB and VB) typically must work on campus due to their student VISA situation.

Ago.

The NCAA has placed a limit on how many off-season practices are permitted.

Ago.

The NCAA has placed a limit on how many off-season practices are permitted.

our school must not follow those, or they call strength and conditioning something different than practice.

Ago.

A la carte dining at colleges is not exactly a whole lot better (by whatever standard of better you chose to use) than the cafeteria. Meal plan food sucks and is overpriced-bottom line.

Yup. My tuition went down by nearly half once I ditched the ridiculous meal plan they offered.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

Archived