Northwestern Univ. football players attempts to unionize

CS85

The toughest part of paying players is how much do you pay everyone for their "work"? Do you pay the fourth string QB the same as the first string QB? Do you pay the 5th string LB the same as the first string RB? Do you pay the first string QB the same as anyone on the soccer team? Is USC going to pay more than UCLA?

The scholarship solves that problem really easily.

Scholarships aren't exactly "equal". I'm sure Stanford costs more for a person from PA to attend than Penn State does, so isn't that Stanford scholarship more "payment" than the Penn State one?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the admiral's suggestion of allowing endorsements. And booster kick-backs. And all of the perks coaches get but players can't.

Sure seems like they'd save themselves a lot of trouble if they had taken this route sooner.

IUe6Hvh.png

Scholarships aren't exactly "equal". I'm sure Stanford costs more for a person from PA to attend than Penn State does, so isn't that Stanford scholarship more "payment" than the Penn State one?

Moreover, a full ride to Alabama to play football is worth more to a football player than one to do the same for Vanderbilt, which kind of complicates this whole token economy of scholarships and diplomas. So if you go to a football mill instead of a top academic university, the better players aren't necessarily getting better payment, are they?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ironically it would take more years to establish this than the players would be in college. That's probably worded wrong, but you know what I mean.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the admiral's suggestion of allowing endorsements. And booster kick-backs. And all of the perks coaches get but players can't.

Oh, I think that's the worst idea of all. Not only dumping more money into a system already corrupted by it, but unregulated money. Bad news.

Ironically it would take more years to establish this than the players would be in college. That's probably worded wrong, but you know what I mean.

That's why it's ultimately doomed. At least they're trying, though.

Oh, I think that's the worst idea of all. Not only dumping more money into a system already corrupted by it, but unregulated money. Bad news.

Ehh...they opened the gateway to point shaving when they allowed officials to wave off touchdowns or other scoring plays on personal fiat.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You're not going to remove the money from the system, so then what? Our options are to give everyone a piece or keep maintain the inequitable status quo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Adding more unregulated money will only exacerbate the inequitable status quo. That's not a solution.

We need a proper scandal so Congress can step in and regulate the whole system - coaching wages and everything. Scalia is always happy to invoke the Commerce Clause. :P

Sadly, the best person option is to stop watching. I'm sure there are gross inequities in modern dance, but I don't see them so I don't care.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The 17 D-1 private universities would also only apply to this suit as state law would apply to the state colleges/universities.

One of the reason's Colter headed up this and filed for unionization is not for them getting paid, it is for medical care for injuries suffered while playing long after graduation/finished up eligibility. If you are injured in practice or during game play, the parent/guardian's insurance is the primary coverage used and afterwards, there is a $90,000 deductible to be added to the NCAA Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program

In December, court documents showed that the under oath, NCAA counsel said that the NCAA did not have “legal duty to protect student-athletes” in a wrongful death lawsuit they are named in.

I did precisely that. They don't get any of my money anymore.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Frankly, when you read about the medical stuff -- which, as Taylor Branch laid out in his piece for The Atlantic, is the genesis of the fish-nor-fowl "student-athlete" label -- it looks like a much greater priority than throwing them a few thousand dollars for being minor-league athletes. And no, you can't say that A College Education is just as valuable as decent healthcare for getting your ass kicked as part of said education.

The 17 D-1 private universities would also only apply to this suit as state law would apply to the state colleges/universities.

One of the reason's Colter headed up this and filed for unionization is not for them getting paid, it is for medical care for injuries suffered while playing long after graduation/finished up eligibility. If you are injured in practice or during game play, the parent/guardian's insurance is the primary coverage used and afterwards, there is a $90,000 deductible to be added to the NCAA Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program

In December, court documents showed that the under oath, NCAA counsel said that the NCAA did not have “legal duty to protect student-athletes” in a wrongful death lawsuit they are named in.

Frankly, when you read about the medical stuff -- which, as Taylor Branch laid out in his piece for The Atlantic, is the genesis of the fish-nor-fowl "student-athlete" label -- it looks like a much greater priority than throwing them a few thousand dollars for being minor-league athletes. And no, you can't say that A College Education is just as valuable as decent healthcare for getting your ass kicked as part of said education.

These points touch on the greater issues. The athletes' effort toward unionization is not so much about getting compensated beyond a scholarship, it's about the ability to collectively bargain the conditions of their participation. Right now the athletes' only real choice is whether to participate or not; if they choose to, then they must participate under the conditions unilaterally established by the NCAA and its member institutions. Collective bargaining would allow players to have some input over terms such as medical coverage, extended benefits, equipment and safety, practice schedules, etc.

• 1 month later...

National Labor Relations Board says Northwestern players can form a union.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/25081198/college-athletes-can-unionize-federal-agency-says

Good for them. Should have happened years ago.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You're kidding, right? How in the world are student-athletes "employees"? And if you think this is really about what's best for the players, this should put that to rest:

===

Outgoing Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter took a leading role in establishing the College Athletes Players Association, or CAPA, which would take the lead in organizing the players. The United Steelworkers union has been footing the legal bills.
===

Love this as well:

===

Colter, whose eligibility has been exhausted and who has entered the NFL draft, said nearly all of the 85 scholarship players on the Wildcats roster backed the union bid, though only he expressed his support publicly.

===

Don't get me wrong; college athletics has become a business and the current model needs review. But unions are not the answer.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

BlueSky Post Simulator:

When I worked in the airline industry, I learned that

one of the many things that makes the Saints so great is that

there's no place for labor here

and while I agree to some extent, your tone is concerning and could make people disagree with you.

HedleyLamarr sucks

and if you disagree, maybe you're the racist.

BlueSky Post Simulator:

When I worked in the airline industry, I learned that

one of the many things that makes the Saints so great is that

there's no place for labor here

and while I agree to some extent, your tone is concerning and could make people disagree with you.

HedleyLamarr sucks

and if you disagree, maybe you're the racist.

Well at least he brings a relevant view to topics, even if one may disagree with it, rather than just giving some sarcastic, condescending remark.

Personally I agree. This is dumb a and will never get anywhere considering you'd have to apply this to ALL sports, men's and women's. The SCOTUS will shoot this down.

What was so relevant? He insinuated that the Steelworkers were nefarious and that Colter is a liar, and then dismissed any merit to the concept of collective bargaining. I thought his view really sucked, so I made fun of it. It was like those videos Wal-Mart/Target make where they say that unions are bad because they are and don't even bother organizing because no one will support you.

If you can't see the fundamental difference between revenue-generating sports and the rest, you're being willfully obtuse. Funny how the conservative bloc reliably finds itself against the free market in this one and only instance.

Archived