A11 Football League Branding

JackieMoon

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know those looks didn't win for the Miners since they are up on Behance. None of the winning looks have popped up until released by the league. Do we know what the winning look looks like such as colors, etc?

They were leaning to yellow, blue, and white for the Denver team and suggested using a pick axe in the logo. Personally i think Davidson nailed it with his D and pick axe logo so im really interested to see what they went with

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This is Davidson's?

1660704_811540160182_1343550643_n.jpg

They'll need to come up with a fantastic design to top that one.

Yessir. He had a "GOLD" word mark that went with it that I really liked as well -- you can find it on his Dribbble (Gold or Miners were the name options).

This is Davidson's?

1660704_811540160182_1343550643_n.jpg

They'll need to come up with a fantastic design to top that one.

Yessir. He had a "GOLD" word mark that went with it that I really liked as well -- you can find it on his Dribbble (Gold or Miners were the name options).

Looking forward to seeing the winner. In my opinion, I thought that D/pickaxe was pretty week. Didn't seem to have a lot of character. Not saying it was bad, just that it looked way too plain for me...

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I don't think it's plain at all, with all those bevels.

I like it because it is simultaneously simple and intricate. The curve of the pick axe and the curve of the D match nicely, without resorting to the obvious tack of combining the two. It has motion without resorting to italics or speed lines.

Plus it's a gorgeous color scheme, with the two main colors complimenting each other well. It's instantly readable, and will work as well as a twitter icon as it will on the side of a helmet.

Nice job.

I'm usually a fan of Fraser's work, but didn't care for that logo too much. Seemed kind of bland (not sure of the right word). Perhaps seeing it on a helmet might help.

Why do you like it so much?

Goth summed it up pretty nicely. Not everything has to follow the same "template" so to speak, and I think it's a nice departure from what we normally see for football (and in this contest, really). That primary mark lends itself really well to a clean, simple brand that would look really sharp on the field.

to add to Doug and Goth's comments, that mark is what a good logo should be. a good idea plus well crafted style that sends a message about what it represents. i like things that are simple and have some timeless qualities to them and that logo is just that. think about it's primary application, on a helmet, and that makes it even better because it would look great there. and talk about craftsmanship, look how he did the highlights on the axe and the shadows on D where the axe crosses over or on the handle where the D cast a shadow. there is form and proper lighting there. it's on the other side of the universe from where the Panthers logo is

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

to add to Doug and Goth's comments, that mark is what a good logo should be. a good idea plus well crafted style that sends a message about what it represents. i like things that are simple and have some timeless qualities to them and that logo is just that. think about it's primary application, on a helmet, and that makes it even better because it would look great there. and talk about craftsmanship, look how he did the highlights on the axe and the shadows on D where the axe crosses over or on the handle where the D cast a shadow. there is form and proper lighting there. it's on the other side of the universe from where the Panthers logo is

Which is always a good thing :)

I'm usually a fan of Fraser's work, but didn't care for that logo too much. Seemed kind of bland (not sure of the right word). Perhaps seeing it on a helmet might help.

Why do you like it so much?

Goth summed it up pretty nicely. Not everything has to follow the same "template" so to speak, and I think it's a nice departure from what we normally see for football (and in this contest, really). That primary mark lends itself really well to a clean, simple brand that would look really sharp on the field.
And timeless.

And that + the bold is the key.

I'll just transcribe here what page two of that brand workbook says in regards [their] design of football, just to clue y'all in a little on our overarching design direction as stated (I'm pretty sure I can share this one piece--it ain't like this is G-14 classified information or something).

In football great design starts with the football uniform and the A11FL will be working with our licensing partner and elite graphic designers to produce eight inaugural team brands that set the standard for sports uniform design.

A great team brand starts with a timeless team logo built to be seen from a distance on a football helmet. This means a design engineered to simplicity.

The foundation of the A11FL brand of team uniform design consists of classic colors, custom number fonts and modern sleeve, pants, and helmet striping.

The brands will become further refined through the development of secondary logos and throwback uniform designs blending past to present and future to past.

Key in on that second paragraph for a minute. In that regard, Fraser's Miners design definitely fits the bill, as B-Mo pretty much spelled out above. In my mind, some of the other concept and chosen winning designs do as well, while some...kinda don't. Now as far as the rest of that--well, the third paragraph pretty much spells out what you're likely to see with the uniform designs. (As yet though we, or at least I, have no clue who their licensing partner is/will be.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well look who stopped in... :P. Glad to see you back around, Fraser--even if only for a hot minute.

And the rest of that set is fresh as heck, my dawg.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I look at more how the logo will be used. By itself, it's not my favorite but it looks good. However, will the shadow and beveling be part of a final helmet look and will it pop on the field? To me no, I don't think the subtleties of this logo would be as obvious on the field on the side of a helmet. JMO.

The league shared these on Facebook today.

90CB4BDF-9566-46C7-8B44-CCEF869F6F77_zps

I don't like the way they have the numbers staggered but other than that, I have no issues and really like them.

I believe they said those were a concept set.

The league shared these on Facebook today.90CB4BDF-9566-46C7-8B44-CCEF869F6F77_zps

I don't like the way they have the numbers staggered but other than that, I have no issues and really like them.

I believe they said those were a concept set.

You are correct. I think these are really solid concepts, nothing too over the top. I wouldn't be angry if these hit the field in 2015.

Archived