got room for 1 more? - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

BrandMooreArt

i usually dont get into the "fixing the latest uniform release" thing but i couldnt resist taking a stab at the Bucs. they had one of my favorite logos and uniforms in NFL history and i was very disappointed with the Nike-trash they got.

LOGO1.jpg

DA_59_Fifty_Template.png

LOGO2.jpg

i felt like they went overboard (pirate pun!) with the primary logo, adding in some unnecessary details and worst of all killed the waving, curling action of the flag. i probably drew around 20 different swords before landing on this design and i think i finally got it where it needs to be. For the word mark i just wanted a better font that still had a pirate personality. i went with a white-on-black mark to reflect the skull and swords in the flag.

the red is about the same, its 200 C (think Ohio State) and the pewter is 10398 C, which is a metallic swatch that is brighter and with more silver than their current. it's hard to replicate exactly in RGB color space, but i think i've done a decent job here.

IMG_1083.jpg

favorite final sword designs

Starter_Field.jpg

it just happened that the word mark filled the end zones really well and i liked the big bold look of this. usually i'll experiment with 4 or 5 field designs but this was the first i came up with and decided thats cool enough.

helmet3.png

this template dosent show exactly what i imagine the helmet looking like. i really want a satin finish on the helmet with a silver (NOT chrome) face mask. but i love the idea of a big red flag on the side screaming into battle. its a logo that needs to be oversized.

uni1.jpguni2.jpg

this shows the helmet more to my liking. my first idea for the jersey was to do stripes that looked like the rips in the flag of the logo, not too different from the Texans design, but then got the idea to do a ship's sail (a much simpler version of the pirate ship) on the sleeves. i wanted nothing to do with that tangerine orange and left it out of the identity completely except in the football of the logo. the numbers on the home jersey are silver (NOT chrome). the road jersey would feature a silver outlined number. the number font i felt didnt have to be anything special, because of how i had treated it with the silver. i just wanted a bold badass football font.

the pants stripe just comes from the idea of a sword blade, the red carefully placed to resemble blood on the edge. not sure if the NFL would go for that or not, but i think its pretty cool. there is quite a bit going on in the uniform from helmet to pants so when it came to the socks i just wanted to try something very simple, yet do something new that the NFL has never seen before.

uni_layout.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This looks great, I like the bold lines you put on the logo as well as the definition you put on the skull, it looks like you put more though into this that Nike :upside:

As for the uniforms, they're really nice, the current ones are too dark with pewter and these are a definite improvement. I wouldn't mind to see some yellow-orange in an alternate if you where to go that far though.

As for the wordmark, It just doesn't look to me like it belongs to an NFL team, the serifs on the letters and the red lines outlining the wordmark make it look to me more like a western bar than a sports team. Although the Bucs did get the wordmark right IMO, so yours doesn't look bad, but I think if it was simpler and maybe more streamlined, it would fit the Bucs better.

I like the uniforms and all that, but the eyes in the skull are just too bulky. It's kinda like those thick framed glasses that were popular back in the 80s and 90s. It's not bad, just I feel it could be fixed.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

It makes me sad knowing this concept is so outstanding and yet we're subjected to the garbage that the team and Nike came up with instead.

mainescarf.png

I love the woodmark you did. I can see what TorinK92 said about it maybe not quite fitting into an NFL identity but standing on its own I think that is a great piece.

The other thing I would say you nailed in this concept is the uniforms. I am going to jump on the bandwagon and agree that your take is far and away better then what Nike did.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

Awesome job, absolutely everything about this is better than the actual redesign. One thing that is bugging me is the cuff logo. I think having the pirate ship there would work much better.

This is terrible.

Terrible if you're a Nike Designer. I'm not sure those people over there know what a good look is.

This is almost perfect. I think the jerseys need a little bit more. The whole design around the jersey is awesome. Sleek, modern, but the jersey seems a little blank compared to the rest. If you could somehow incorporate the pants pattern into the jersey that would be the marker for the perfect Bucs concept.

Thanks for all the comments guys

@TorinK - i was worried about the wordmark looking western they are definitely western fonts but thought i could still pull it off for the Buccaroos. What they probably need is a custom font. I might work on that later

BlackBolt - i can never get eyes right. But i just made them smaller, youre right they doo look better now

About the pirate ship - executing a good ship might be a bit beyond my skill level. Thats part of the reason i was just going with a sail. But ill revisit it again. I would like to do a forward facing ship, something like the Purdue train logo. Well see what happens

@wonka - yea i definitely erred on the side of plain with the jersey. Thats because i think in real life those silver numbers would be pretty intense. Like with Oregon, i think their jerseys are best when the feather pattern is subtle. Adding too much really makes for a loud jersey with numbers like that

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

@TorinK - i was worried about the wordmark looking western they are definitely western fonts but thought i could still pull it off for the Buccaroos. What they probably need is a custom font. I might work on that later

Yeah, it's a decent font, but all those serifs in unnecessary places give it a really western look. I would think something like the picture below would give a more piratey look. Still 'pointy' but not in the middle of the letters.

pirate-fonts-red.png

Great concept. The only thing that is throwing me off is the bluish - silver outline of the logo on the helmet. I think that color clashes against the pewter a little bit. But it only shows up that way on the helmet only picture.

LOGO2.jpg

I think this is really close, but some nitpicky things stick out for me.

The red bar on the bottom could be wider. Because of the font choice, it looks like the left side terminates before the right. Perhaps extend both ends so that it blends into the black stroke of the letters?

Perhaps try to match the upper portion of the S so that it matches the B, so the red bars on top don't appear uneven.

The only other thing I can think of is incorporating the orange more in the branding. Perhaps "TAMPA BAY" in orange?

Archived