Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

I think the hopes of Montreal and New York winning this cup is an easy series on their side and a brutal bloodbath hard 7 game series out west.

Hawks in 7. Canadiens in 6

Go Habs

*wearing Teemu Selanne Mighty Ducks jersey*

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some long breaks in these series. Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday for the Hawks and Kings. As awesome as it is to be so close to the Stanley Cup being handed out, this is an adjustment period where you don't have a game every night. One night without a game in the second round, and the whole thread went to crap. We'll probably end up discussing which gas station chain makes the best sandwiches at some point during the third round.

Two words: Wa and Wa.

I feel bad for Teemu, his career was way too good for it to end like this.

For some reason, this reminds me of the way Dan Marino's career ended, in complete annihilation by the other team.

If Teemu's last game is a Ducks loss, the more valiant thing would be for Anaheim to fight hard until the end instead of this, though they still have time in Game 7 to find a rhythm.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Bah.

I knew this series was over for us as soon as the Ducks lost game 6. Maybe this is also what we get for counting Hiller out as soon as Gibson came in. This guy's got a lot of potential, but his first two games may very well have just been beginner's luck. Fact of the matter is, the Ducks put out a rookie goaltender against a Cup-calibre team. His debut was most certainly impressive but I imagine he was easy enough for the Kings to solve after those two games.

But still, what a year for Anaheim. Shame it had to end this way, especially with that Ducks-Hawks WCF matchup being a year overdue. Also too bad I had to sleep through much of the season because time zone difference and re-adapting to life without ponying up for a Gamecenter subscription that would be a waste of money to me for various reasons. I'll try harder next year.

Go Hawks/Habs

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Bah.

I knew this series was over for us as soon as the Ducks lost game 6. Maybe this is also what we get for counting Hiller out as soon as Gibson came in. This guy's got a lot of potential, but his first two games may very well have just been beginner's luck. Fact of the matter is, the Ducks put out a rookie goaltender against a Cup-calibre team. His debut was most certainly impressive but I imagine he was easy enough for the Kings to solve after those two games.

But still, what a year for Anaheim. Shame it had to end this way, especially with that Ducks-Hawks WCF matchup being a year overdue. Also too bad I had to sleep through much of the season because time zone difference and re-adapting to life without ponying up for a Gamecenter subscription that would be a waste of money to me for various reasons. I'll try harder next year.

Go Hawks/Habs

As good as Gibson played, I still think the Ducks would've had a better chance had Andersen still been in net (I know he's a rookie too, but he's 24 and had more pro experience than Gibson). Too bad Hiller just sucked ass at the end of the season, a team shouldn't have to rely on a 20 year old. There can only be so many Ken Dryden's in the world.

With the division portion settled, I have to admit I liked the new format and the matchups it delivered. Better to have the rivalries early than not at all.

In my (unpopular?) opinion.

I mean, you can shuffle the matchups all you want and Blues-Sharks or Avs-Ducks in the Western final probably wasn't going to happen. They have to beat these better, yes better, teams.

For those that are complaining about the best teams not being in the CF, every team has an equal opportunity to win and to advance. Just because you're Colorado, St. Louis, or Minnesota and you buzzed through the regular season and grabbed top seeds, whatever they were, don't remember off the top of my head doesn't mean they are a given to advance before you play the game. THat is why you play the games and have the series. Sometimes and often the best regular season teams don't go the big dance. Why? because when it matters, it's not about what you did in the regular season, it's what you are doing in the here and now and how you are dealing with your opponent at hand. If the Avs, Blues and Wild can't beat their opponents, then despite what their records say in the regular season, their not the best teams. They may be the 'really, really good teams' but the best teams right now, Kings/Hawks/Habs/Rangers are all still playing. Because they are winning when it matters, when it comes down to win or go home.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

That's like saying "the better team lost tonight." That's some sour grapes bullcrap. The better team won. That's why they, ya know, won the game.

Being all butthurt (or as admiral said in beautiful prose, 'being a bitch') because executive producer Dick Wolf didn't write a better season finale for your favorite characters is illogical.

And yeah, what a total disappointment the west finals is. On one side you have a team that's survived and overcome 6 elimination games and is out for revenge on their opponents, the defending cup champs whose star players are lighting it up in sensational fashion (most of the time, anyway). But because the Emmy-award winning narratives of "A Final Cup For Teemu" and "Flowers For Algernon: The San Jose Sharks Playoff Story" aren't playing out doesn't mean you have to go all CS85 on us.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, after Colorado and Anaheim and St. Louis dominated the headlines- it's LA-Chicago again. Oh, joy.

As an amateur psychologist, I suggest you abandon watching hockey and take up watching another sport. It just seems to be turning you into a ball of hate.

He rants just as much about other sports. Ironically, he complains that the NBA is too predictable but the NHL apparently isn't predictable enough.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That's like saying "the better team lost tonight." That's some sour grapes bullcrap. The better team won. That's why they, ya know, won the game.

Being all butthurt (or as admiral said in beautiful prose, 'being a bitch') because executive producer Dick Wolf didn't write a better season finale for your favorite characters is illogical.

And yeah, what a total disappointment the west finals is. On one side you have a team that's survived and overcome 6 elimination games and is out for revenge on their opponents, the defending cup champs who's star players are lighting it up in sensational fashion (most of the time, anyway). But because the Emmy-award winning narratives of "A Final Cup For Teemu" and "Flowers For Algernon: The San Jose Sharks Playoff Story" aren't playing out doesn't mean you have to go all CS85 on us.

I'm not butthurt. It's been clear for a while that these Ducks aren't ready. Like I said before, the kids aren't ready yet, and management seems content to sit on those asset eggs, as evidenced by his lack of moves at the deadline. And Stravinsky's neoclassical period is awful.

I wanted to Ducks to win, but I'm still pretty happy with the conference finals. If it's not the Rangers (and it won't be) I'm good with any of the remaining teams winning it all.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Lundqvist's stats in Montreal are shockingly bad, I'm surprised I just found out about them at the beginning of the game. And Price with 5 shutouts out of his last 6 games at home against the Rangers, this seems like these first two games could be very one sided.

But something interesting, the last two times a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit, the Habs have lost in the Semi-finals in 1975 and 2010. And they were defeated in 3 by Detroit in '42 in the quarters, so it's a tale of two stats here. Of course, none of these are actually relevant.

Here are my 1st-round pics, in bold:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

---Atlantic

In 7...#1. Boston vs. #4. Detroit

In 7...#2. Tampa Bay vs. #3. Montreal

---Metropolitan

In 7...#1. Pittsburgh vs. #4 Columbus

In 6...#2. NY Rangers vs. #3. Philadelphia

--------------------------------------------------

WESTERN CONFERENCE

---Central

In 5...#1. Colorado vs. #4 Minnesota