Short-lived coloured hockey helmets

nash61

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this belongs here, but this may be the closest a thread topic ever gets to including this image. They had cages in 1985, I have no idea how or why Gallant wore this.

5159751725_a59f85a4a8_o.jpg

Maybe he wanted to be a lineman, too?

Not sure if this belongs here, but this may be the closest a thread topic ever gets to including this image. They had cages in 1985, I have no idea how or why Gallant wore this.

It would look so much better if the facemask was grey.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I wish most NHL teams wore colored helmets on the road.

Similar to in the NFL, I like when the helmet matches the pants.

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos: 45 Years, no World Series or pennant.

Chicago Bears: 1 NFL championship in the last 50 years.

When will my teams' futility end?

Bowling Green State got new brown helmets this season that they have been rotating with the white ones they've had the last few years. The shade of brown doesn't match the shade on their jersey (I didn't even notice until a friend pointed it out to me). It'll be interesting to see how they use them from here on out.

12-14-Mich-Tech-BGSU.jpg

"Bowling Green State"? Are you sure you live in BG? Haha

spacer.png

Bowling Green State got new brown helmets this season that they have been rotating with the white ones they've had the last few years. The shade of brown doesn't match the shade on their jersey (I didn't even notice until a friend pointed it out to me). It'll be interesting to see how they use them from here on out.

12-14-Mich-Tech-BGSU.jpg

Believe it or not, that's the full name of the school -- Bowling Green State University.

12-14-Mich-Tech-BGSU.jpg

Yeah, it felt weird typing it, but I wasn't sure how many people on the boards are familiar with BG (especially since this has been the only post in this thread with a collegiate team), so I went with the more accurate name.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

I've never understood why hockey teams feel the need to change helmets from home to road in the first place. Those white helmets are pretty dull.

I think it might be a rule rather than a whim.

Probably helps the referees out when the helmet colors are different. Not sure though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

579077.jpgf

Don't know if this counts as short-lived, since someone on the team wears one, but in Liiga, the leading scorer on a team wears a gold helmet until a teammate overtakes him in scoring, then the helmet gets passed on. In the photo above, the player on the left is wearing the normal helmet, the player on the right (Jani Rita) is wearing the gold helmet for the game. Somewhere, the leading scorer on the other team is wearing his gold helmet, while his teammates are wearing the black.

579077.jpgf

Don't know if this counts as short-lived, since someone on the team wears one, but in Liiga, the leading scorer on a team wears a gold helmet until a teammate overtakes him in scoring, then the helmet gets passed on. In the photo above, the player on the left is wearing the normal helmet, the player on the right (Jani Rita) is wearing the gold helmet for the game. Somewhere, the leading scorer on the other team is wearing his gold helmet, while his teammates are wearing the black.

That's pretty cool.Can the switch happen in-game or only after?

579077.jpgf

That's pretty cool.Can the switch happen in-game or only after?

The gold helmet wearer is determined before each game. I'm not sure what they do in case of ties.

He broke his jaw in a fight with Dirk Graham.

I know in international hockey, teams only have one helmet, usually the colour of their non-white uniform. But I've always felt the US looked out of place with white helmets for their coloured jersey.

Team-USA.jpg

This was done because the manufacturers had a hard time matching blues across different models/brands.

Anubis.png

12-14-Mich-Tech-BGSU.jpg

Believe it or not, that's the full name of the school -- Bowling Green State University.

I'm well aware of the school's full name, but the athletic teams are just known as Bowling Green. It's like refering to LSU as Louisiana State; officially correct, but unusual to hear.

Back on topic; I like BG in brown helmets, I hope they stick with them.

spacer.png

I've never understood why hockey teams feel the need to change helmets from home to road in the first place. Those white helmets are pretty dull.

"Helps the officials break up scrums" is usually the answer when this comes up. I can see where it would be more difficult to split everyone up if they were all wearing black helmets.

Lost in the general awfulness of the Pooh Bear sweater is the specific awfulness of the shoulder logo, which is just "BRUINS" in really big letters. What were they thinking?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived