Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

1 hour ago, RayFinkle said:

The trend to remove the Conference Logos and not have the endzone wordmark outlined continues to piss me off.

For christsake, the SB is the AFC vs. the NFC!! 

The Bengals and Rams wordmarks are not keylined in their style guides. Putting a keyline on them in the endzone would be incorrect

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

1 hour ago, JQK said:

That's not how these things are done.

Please, then, tell me how these things are done.  

Look, We all love these fields. That’s why we are here. But we have learned things from the past that may effect designs. They kept the field numbers the Vikings used in SB 52. It looked like they were scrubbing one endzone last night but didn’t touch the other.  At SB 53 I spent 15 minutes talking to Ed Mangan trying to get info solely for this thread and he told me stuff that we never realized. He talked about how much the actual teams have input on the designs of the endzones.  He also said the NFL has the final call on the design and how they can only do so much in a short period of time.  If they had a full month to work on the entire field, I think it could be a different story. Now, they only have two weeks. I think they will save time as much as they can.  

I long for the glory days of the double helmets. i love looking at all the different designs that Pitt and others do. It’s so great. I just think they are up against the clock with the field this year, and may just settle with one of the Rams already made endzones because it could save time and two of them already look like they could be used in the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DJB said:

With all that being said, I don’t know if this is good news or bad news.

Looks like they scrubbed the Rams endzone, but left some blue. That means they might go with the ram head instead of the LA logo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphz said:

Looks like they scrubbed the Rams endzone, but left some blue. That means they might go with the ram head instead of the LA logo. 

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately they scrubbed a decent endzone already. I really hope, like many, it’s the rams head and bengals head instead of the “LA” and “B”

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Wishhhh we could somehow unlock and revive this topic. Was nice to throw out ideas and take a look at all the "what-ifs"

Agreed absolutely 1000%. And that thread or sub-forum is the reason that many people can have dream SB fields, which is part of the fun.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

Wishhhh we could somehow unlock and revive this topic. Was nice to throw out ideas and take a look at all the "what-ifs"

I think part of it being locked was due to all the alternate field designs that take place in this thread in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. There's probably been 2 dozen field designs thrown out there from multiple people, including myself the past couple of weeks, including the conference runner ups.

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately they scrubbed a decent endzone already. I really hope, like many, it’s the rams head and bengals head instead of the “LA” and “B”

5 hours ago, ralphz said:

Looks like they're still working on scrubbing, but for sure it, as we would expect, it's going to be a blue endzone. Way too early to tell what endzone design the Rams will go with. I'm hoping that, since the Rams have won two home playoff games at SoFi with the Ram head logo and yellow wordmark, that they just stick with that. I think that's the greatest case for a Rams head logo in the endzone.

As for the Bengals, the Bengals head logo is rarely used. I know it's still an alternate logo for the team, but I can't think of the last time I've actually seen it used anywhere. Not saying it doesn't get used,  but for anyone outside of Cincinnati, we don't really see it anymore. My hope for the Bengals is that they go with a helmet in the endzone to call back to their last two Super Bowl appearances, even though I think that's unlikely.

10 hours ago, DJB said:

Please, then, tell me how these things are done.  

Look, We all love these fields. That’s why we are here. But we have learned things from the past that may effect designs. They kept the field numbers the Vikings used in SB 52. It looked like they were scrubbing one endzone last night but didn’t touch the other.  At SB 53 I spent 15 minutes talking to Ed Mangan trying to get info solely for this thread and he told me stuff that we never realized. He talked about how much the actual teams have input on the designs of the endzones.  He also said the NFL has the final call on the design and how they can only do so much in a short period of time.  If they had a full month to work on the entire field, I think it could be a different story. Now, they only have two weeks. I think they will save time as much as they can.  

I long for the glory days of the double helmets. i love looking at all the different designs that Pitt and others do. It’s so great. I just think they are up against the clock with the field this year, and may just settle with one of the Rams already made endzones because it could save time and two of them already look like they could be used in the Super Bowl.

They've always had two weeks and in some cases a week to get the field ready, I understand that there's always going to be a time crunch but that shouldn't be the excuse for the weak looking fields we've been getting. 

For some reason the NFL has an issue with using the conference logos, not just on the fields the hats both teams wore on Sunday just said Conference Champions with no conference name or logo. I'm assuming there's some ultra corporate speak reason for phasing them out.

16 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

They've always had two weeks and in some cases a week to get the field ready, I understand that there's always going to be a time crunch but that shouldn't be the excuse for the weak looking fields we've been getting. 

For some reason the NFL has an issue with using the conference logos, not just on the fields the hats both teams wore on Sunday just said Conference Champions with no conference name or logo. I'm assuming there's some ultra corporate speak reason for phasing them out.

As we get further from the AFL-NFL merger, it seems like they're putting less emphasis on the conferences. The old AFC logo was taken from the original AFL logo, and modified over time. I'm almost wondering if at some point down the road (could be 20 years from now even), the conferences are mostly done away with, and divisions across the league play each other in some rotational format. By playoff time, you'd have a tournament that isn't split into conferences. I'm sure there would be some sort of monetary benefit to that. As far as TV contracts go,  and the money that brings the league, in recent years new contracts have seen CBS get into some of the bigger markets that FOX usually has, like Chicago and Dallas. In a non-conference format, I could see the TV deals getting more expensive, as each game or market might have their rights bought, and that's more lucrative to the NFL.

11 hours ago, DJB said:

With all that being said, I don’t know if this is good news or bad news.

Looks like they ARE scrubbing all the marks off the field and will paint it in the format they have for the last 6 years.

Imagine that...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

40 minutes ago, JQK said:

Looks like they ARE scrubbing all the marks off the field and will paint it in the format they have for the last 6 years.

Imagine that...

1 hour ago, Luigi74 said:

Totally agree. Most times they’ve had a month to do entire fields and as you said, they’ve been so disappointing. Two weeks isn’t a ton of time so that is why I assume they are only scrubbing the endzones and midfield. None of the yard lines will be redone.  At least the conference logos provided a pop of color when teams were similar in their team colors. It is weird they seem to phase them out, even on the gear.

3 hours ago, pitt6pack said:
7 hours ago, Cujo said:

Expand  

I think part of it being locked was due to all the alternate field designs that take place in this thread in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. There's probably been 2 dozen field designs thrown out there from multiple people, including myself the past couple of weeks, including the conference runner ups.

I just assumed it was locked due to 1 year of inactivity. The runner-up fields were fun. Links to all of them seem to be broken. Would be cool to view thru them again

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Here’s a good shot from this morning

8 minutes ago, RamosLynn said:

Ul69TFM.jpg

My favorite time of year, as we slowly get images from the field.

Looks like this will be the widest Super Bowl logo on the field since Super Bowl XLIV. First one of the templated logo era to stretch past the 20 and 30 yard lines. Interested in how the gradient shows when they're done painting. Lot's of detail in this year's logo, so it could be a challenge for the field crew, and will certainly be a challenge for me copying their copy of the logo.

• Like 1

Other thing of note, you can see there will be dark/light "grass" effect. Will be lighter between the 45s from the TV angle, and then alternating dark/light anding with a darker shade between the goal line and 5 yard line.

1 hour ago, jc... said:

Going out on a huge limb and saying the Rams endzone will be on TV right as correctly predicted by many.

Which is expected. What's interesting is that the Rams are reported to be in their own locker room, and on their own sideline, (which, for those who don't know, the Rams and Chargers are actually on different sidelines when they play their home games). That would put the Rams on the "top" sideline when viewing on TV.

3 hours ago, JQK said:

Imagine that...

I kinda think we actually are on the same page, in a weird way. 

The  “LA” logo endzone with just “Rams” after it has been used this season, and pics in the last 2 pages show that.  That’s the logo I consider “Super Bowl ready”.

I was hoping for a possible switch, to maybe something like Pitt posted with the 2008-2012 designs, but that’s not gonna happen. I think we all hoped for a change, but we get disappointed again.

maybe the new SB logo design  at the 25’s will help spur change…. But it’s the NFL so I’m not getting my hopes up.