They'd actually have a good thing going if they didn't pass on Drummond in 2012 for Dion :censored:ing Waiters... the GM should have been fired on the spot for that one.

Well at the time, Drummond had a questionable motor that caused him to drop to #9, but there were A LOT better options than Dion Waiters too.

Cleveland's 1-4 on Top 4 draft picks since LeBron left, why give them another chance to :censored: things up.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the Memphis Grizzlies are now the most dysfunctional NBA front office.%

Well, the Memphis Grizzlies are now the most dysfunctional NBA front office.

On paper, the Grizzlies look good. They are coming off a second straight 50-win season and are just one year removed from a trip to the Western Conference finals. They have the NBA's most enviable front court combination in Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol and an underrated point guard in Mike Conley who gets better every year. They have a basketball-crazed owner in Robert Pera with deep pockets and a willingness to dig into them.

Sounds great, right? Well...

In truth, the Grizzlies are a mess. They have a coach, Dave Joerger, who wanted to be the coach, then didn't want to be the coach, then wanted to coach Minnesota, then, on Sunday, decided to come back and coach Memphis. They have an owner that hired Joerger, then wanted to fire him, then let him interview with Minnesota, then welcomed him back. They have no CEO, no assistant general manager and the front office is being run by a GM, Chris Wallace, who has not been involved in the day-to-day operations of the team for more than a year.

It was the first of several early season clashes between Joerger and Pera. When the Grizzlies opened the season 2-3 -- including double-digit defeats to Dallas and New Orleans -- Pera flew to Memphis and held individual meetings with players, sources say. He began offering bizarre suggestions. He suggested Mike Miller, a longtime Grizzlies player who was re-signed in the offseason, could become a player-coach. He brought up the idea that Joerger could wear an NFL-style headset and take instructions on the sideline. When the Grizzlies faced Golden State in early November, Pera insisted that Joerger give significant minutes to fourth-year power forward Ed Davis. Davis played just one. Again, according to sources, Pera insisted that Joerger had to go. Only after it was explained how dysfunctional the franchise would look if it fired a first year head coach six games into the season did Pera back down.

At the end of the season -- a season that conceivably could still be going on had Randolph not taken a swing at Oklahoma City's Steven Adams and been suspended for Game 7 of the Thunder-Grizzlies first round series -- Pera granted Joerger permission to interview for the Minnesota head coaching job, a clear sign that the relationship was fractured. You can't spin that, though the Grizzl

Well, the Memphis Grizzlies are now the most dysfunctional NBA front office.%

Well, the Memphis Grizzlies are now the most dysfunctional NBA front office.

On paper, the Grizzlies look good. They are coming off a second straight 50-win season and are just one year removed from a trip to the Western Conference finals. They have the NBA's most enviable front court combination in Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol and an underrated point guard in Mike Conley who gets better every year. They have a basketball-crazed owner in Robert Pera with deep pockets and a willingness to dig into them.

Sounds great, right? Well...

In truth, the Grizzlies are a mess. They have a coach, Dave Joerger, who wanted to be the coach, then didn't want to be the coach, then wanted to coach Minnesota, then, on Sunday, decided to come back and coach Memphis. They have an owner that hired Joerger, then wanted to fire him, then let him interview with Minnesota, then welcomed him back. They have no CEO, no assistant general manager and the front office is being run by a GM, Chris Wallace, who has not been involved in the day-to-day operations of the team for more than a year.

It was the first of several early season clashes between Joerger and Pera. When the Grizzlies opened the season 2-3 -- including double-digit defeats to Dallas and New Orleans -- Pera flew to Memphis and held individual meetings with players, sources say. He began offering bizarre suggestions. He suggested Mike Miller, a longtime Grizzlies player who was re-signed in the offseason, could become a player-coach. He brought up the idea that Joerger could wear an NFL-style headset and take instructions on the sideline. When the Grizzlies faced Golden State in early November, Pera insisted that Joerger give significant minutes to fourth-year power forward Ed Davis. Davis played just one. Again, according to sources, Pera insisted that Joerger had to go. Only after it was explained how dysfunctional the franchise would look if it fired a first year head coach six games into the season did Pera back down.

At the end of the season -- a season that conceivably could still be going on had Randolph not taken a swing at Oklahoma City's Steven Adams and been suspended for Game 7 of the Thunder-Grizzlies first round series -- Pera granted Joerger permission to interview for the Minnesota head coaching job, a clear sign that the relationship was fractured. You can't spin that, though the Grizzl

Just read this over at SI.com. Another young, rich guy who needs to shut up. There was always that rumor that he wanted to relocate the Grizzlies to San Jose. How long is the Grizzlies lease? and good luck buying off the Warriors if that ever happens. 2 teams in the Bay and 3 teams in NorCal would just be too much.

Sixers are discussing moving headquarters across the bridge to NJ, which would give their owners two NJ based teams. I still think an eventual move to Newark is still a little possible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The LA Times is reporting that former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is buying the Clippers for $2 billion.

So the current bid would make the Clippers the fourth most valuable professional sports franchise in the country. Only the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cowboys are worth more than $2billion.

Jesus Christ.

GR30a5H.png

I don't get why it's so high. It's not like the Clippers own the Staples Center.

The part where Donald Sterling trotted out a :censored: product for years and still made BANK is the reason why. Hell, imagine how much money you could make if your were actually trying to win.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't get why it's so high. It's not like the Clippers own the Staples Center.

- Marketable team and players

- Second biggest media market

- Favorable lease at Staples

- State-of-the-art practice facilities

- Most importantly, the TV deal is up soon and the next deal will be a windfall.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The part where Donald Sterling trotted out a :censored: product for years and still made BANK is the reason why. Hell, imagine how much money you could make if your were actually trying to win.

Plus, it's not every day that a pro sports team in a marque market goes up for sale - and it's even rarer when it's basically an auction like this.

This had two effects:

1. It gave a shot to anyone who could put an ownership group together fast enough (or be rich enough not to need one)

2. Having various groups essentially bidding eBay style drove the price up artifically. Typical sales aren't handled like this - it was a very rare opportunity for the buyers, and they paid a premium to buy in this way, as opposed to the usual process (in which case there's the chance that they never get a team.)

What I don't get is that sports team sales aren't usually simple "$2b for the team" types of things. Usually it's percentages of the team, plus details like various subsidiaries of the team (like arena mgmt companies), etc. It's really not supposed to be this simple.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If this Balmer guy tries even a little bit it would still be more than Sterling. This guy is going to make bank for sure. I'm just hoping playoff basketball becomes the new normal for the Clips.

- Most importantly, the TV deal is up soon and the next deal will be a windfall.

Most Recent NBA Team Sales

Bo2o-rHIgAAzxLb.jpg

Most Recent NBA Team Sales

Bo2o-rHIgAAzxLb.jpg

This subsequently also inflates several teams past the $2B mark. If I had to make a guess, this would catapult the Knicks and Lakers to a $2.2B+ evaluation and the Bulls to slightly under $2B.

GR30a5H.png

Archived