Astros Break Out The Rainbows

mr71

I think that is a navy cap witht he red star with the H in it... you know.. the one that looks liek a Texaco logo.

I like when teams occationally wear retro uniforms. It is fun, and neat to see.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think that is a navy cap witht he red star with the H in it... you know.. the one that looks liek a Texaco logo.

I like when teams occationally wear retro uniforms. It is fun, and neat to see.

Only when they look good. You cannot tell me with a straight face that those...things...look good.

When teams wear awful-looking throwbacks (Houston and Cleveland, I'm talking to you) they more often than not remind fans of when the team was, in fact, awful.

I'll say this, at least the Stros got the look right - even though this particular look should have been left in the ashbin of history where it belongs. IMO, they should've gone to the 1965 uniforms if they were going to go retro. Avant-garde without being gaudy. There's something to be said for tastefulness.

This also applies to: Cleveland's blood clot uniforms, San Diego's brown stuff, any of the Milwaukee ball-in-glove stuff, and most of the rest of the stuff from the 1970s. There's a reason why this stuff isn't worn anymore, people. It was u-g-l-y then, it's u-g-l-y now. 30 years doesn't change things.

OK, rant over. :P

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

For a one-off game (or series, whatever it was), I love it. As it says in the article, it is so bad, that it is cool (or something very similar). It's not going to sell a lot of merchandise, but I love it when teams wear their "throwback" uniforms.

They do it down here in the AFL (Australian Football League) for one week of the season, called Heritage Week where all of the teams wear their originals, and even the new (expansion) clubs get into the spirit wearing the local competition colours (rather than the official franchise colours).

Cheers,

Greg

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

It's weird watching some of these throwback games. For the most part, the teams seem to get the unis right. The Astros uniforms looked very accurate. But in the all the retro games, one thing is missing that makes these not quite "retro"...TIGHT FITTING POLYESTER.

Not that I'm a fan of seeing David Wells squeeze his size 54 belly into a pair of stretch pants. But baggy pants down to the shoes and loose fitting tops don't have the same feel as the same uniforms of that era. I want to see the pin-stripe of stirrup sock, dammit! If these games are painful for the fans to watch, they must be painful for the players to wear!

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I was a shame the Rangers did not wear a throwback though. As the Astros jerseys? *UGH*

I'm glad you said that. As I saw the highlights, all I could think of was 'Is that the Rangers current uni, or is it a throwback?'

Seriously. They've changed so many times, I wasn't sure which it was. :D

It's where I sit.

I love these unis - I have one (replica) from the 1980's. My son wears it now.

I had my name a number put on it, the company who did the screen printing screwed up, they got my name right, but reduced the number so it's only on the top half of the jersey, off the rainbow. The guy said, he didn't want to mess it up and put the number on the stripes. 'What a bonehead' - I got discount for his mistake.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

why must they break those out?

awful, awful uniforms.

the current houston unis are worldly superior to the texaco rainbow stripes.

if anything, the bush admin. can use the retro uniforms as the official uniforms of the Rainbow Bush Coalition. :grin:

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Archived