Failed expansion teams you wanted to see.

Davidellias

The Albany team was going to be called Albany Admirals.

I believe you're right. I'd forgotten that the franchise had been named.

If memory serves me, the Admirals were owned by Joe O'Hara and Glenn Mazula. O'Hara and Mazula also owned the Albany Patroons of the Continental Basketball Association and the Albany Firebirds of the Arena Football League.

They were Firebirds owners, but were the second owners of the Patroons, after Phil Jackson won his FIRST championship as a coach

They were also the arena owners/operators IIRC and really needed to fill up dates in the huge new arena they built in not so huge (comparatively) Albany.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were also the arena owners/operators IIRC and really needed to fill up dates in the huge new arena they built in not so huge (comparatively) Albany.

I don't believe O'Hara and Mazula were ever owner/operators of the Knickerbocker/Pepsi/Times Union Arena/Center... just tenants. If I remember correctly, Albany County built and owns the facility, with SMG operating the facility since it opened in 1990.

The Albany team was going to be called Albany Admirals.

I believe you're right. I'd forgotten that the franchise had been named.

If memory serves me, the Admirals were owned by Joe O'Hara and Glenn Mazula. O'Hara and Mazula also owned the Albany Patroons of the Continental Basketball Association and the Albany Firebirds of the Arena Football League.

They were Firebirds owners, but were the second owners of the Patroons, after Phil Jackson won his FIRST championship as a coach

They were just tenants. Albany County built the arena, then had SpectaCore run it.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Orlando Sunrays

OrlandoSunRays.jpeg

What might come as a shock to exactly zero of you is that this logo was designed by the same firm that did the Magic's original logo. All this has me wondering is what that full lettering font would've looked like and if the SunRays would've used the hilariously illegible number font the Magic used as well.

They did indeed use that font:

LZllUDn.jpg

ZYCJGp2.jpg

After a couple years, they switched to a Twins-inspired look:

rg2SSvH.jpg

RxXSOqI.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Orlando Sunrays

OrlandoSunRays.jpeg

What might come as a shock to exactly zero of you is that this logo was designed by the same firm that did the Magic's original logo. All this has me wondering is what that full lettering font would've looked like and if the SunRays would've used the hilariously illegible number font the Magic used as well.

They did indeed use that font:

LZllUDn.jpg

ZYCJGp2.jpg

Nice find, LightsOut. Also, those uniforms look decent for a minor league identity at the start of the 90's. They'd be horrendous at the major-league level, but they're whimsical enough to work for the minors.

I wonder how much better if MLB went to 32-teams, adding Orlando and Washington/Northern Virginia.

Where would Montreal have relocated? Charlotte, Norfork, Las Vegas, Portland?

Orlando butterflies away/kills Tampa Bay or Miami (depends on when expansion is), so you need to find a home for one of them as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've been saying for years that the Hawks need to syndicate their WGN schedule (weekend games with one or two weeknights) to markets around Chicago, especially the ones downstate and in Iowa/Indiana that do get Comcast SportsNet but don't get WGN Chicago. This hasn't happened, much to the consternation of Hawks fans in South Bend and Champaign who get shut out of about 20 games a year. The Blackhawks aren't allowed to be on the superstation feed of WGN like the Cubs, Bulls, and White Sox, only local channel 9 (which some of southeast Wisconsin does get, but not all). So in short, I'm pretty sure this is Gary Bettman's fault.

Yeah, the channel 9 signal fades out once you get past Racine. But with all the talk about Chicago and Milwaukee developing into a Dallas-Ft. Worth style metroplex (with overlapping suburbs and all), it's surprising to me that the WGN Chicago feed isn't on Milwaukee cable. Especially given all the Chicagoland natives who now live here. Before the Brewers moved to the NL, the Cubs had a decent following here because of their presence on WGN. I have no doubt the same could happen if SE Wisconsinites were able to see the Hawks on TV on a somewhat regular basis.

You'd think the Hawks would work a deal to show their games on Time Warner Sportsnet Milwaukee or whatever it's called. One of the few smart moves the Chicago Fire have done as of late is getting on that channel. Since Fox Sports Wisconsin already has the Bucks, the Hawks would be a great fit on Milwaukee's other, fully-unnecessary sports channel.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've always thought the Weigel-owned WMLW was a natural landing spot for a little Chicago sports evangelism. I'm not sure what the purpose of that Time Warner Sports channel is either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've always thought the Weigel-owned WMLW was a natural landing spot for a little Chicago sports evangelism. I'm not sure what the purpose of that Time Warner Sports channel is either.

Especially when WCIU occasionally broadcasts games that are normally shown on WGN. I dunno... maybe they find broadcasting Hawks games contradictory to the whole "WMLW means MiLWaukee" thing. I decided to email them about this.

And yeah, I'm not quite sure why another local sports network apart from FS-WI is necessary either. Especially when FS-WI is rounding out its programming with stuff that barely even qualifies as "sports," like hunting programs.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24655335/fans-suing-nhl-over-television-rights-will-have-case-heard-after-ruling?v=1&vc=1

There's a small mention in the middle of this that NHL teams haven't been allowed to sell broadcast rights outside their respective markets since 1985. That might be why the Hawks aren't on in Milwaukee, although, Bill Wirtz was able to successfully argue Milwaukee was part of his market when the mood struck him, so who knows.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The NHL is finding itself waist deep in litigation it seems lately.

Mother Mary and Joseph, how did this first sentence get by an editor?

I believe all (or almost all) French-language Canadiens games air nationwide, by the way.

You think major media websites have editors. That's adorable.

Manatees_CFLUSA.gif

Canadian Football.....in Florida

and competing directly with an NFL franchise nonetheless.

This was actually a planned relocation, not an expansion.

There was an exhibition game in Miami between two of the US based teams to check out interest.

Definitely would love to see the Schooners become a reality-but let's get Ottawa stabilized first.

Also, unless I missed it, there has been applications for NHL expansion from Hamilton in the past.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24655335/fans-suing-nhl-over-television-rights-will-have-case-heard-after-ruling?v=1&vc=1

There's a small mention in the middle of this that NHL teams haven't been allowed to sell broadcast rights outside their respective markets since 1985. That might be why the Hawks aren't on in Milwaukee, although, Bill Wirtz was able to successfully argue Milwaukee was part of his market when the mood struck him, so who knows.

That can't be right (or at least it's not enforced) when FS Wisconsin airs Minnesota Wild games.

Not really expansion, but I was reading up on history about the Brooklyn Dodgers and found some interesting things...

The Washington Senators were targeted to move to Los Angeles before the Dodgers

The New York Giants wanted to originally move to Minneapolis

Dodgers owner, Walter O'Malley was told he could not move to California unless another team moved with him

What if...

The Senators moved to Los Angeles and became let's say... Los Angeles Angels!

The Giants moved to Minneapolis and kept the name or went with Twins

The Dodgers fled Brooklyn because a new Stadium wasn't going to be built (as planned) and moved to either Tampa Bay or Washington DC

Now you have the newly formed Los Angeles Angels (4 years before actual establishment ('58 opposed to '61)

Minnesota Giants/Twins

Tampa Bay Dodgers/Sun Rays? Or Washington Nationals WAY before Montreal relocated

It would have been amusing to see Griffith move the original Senators to LA, given his stated preference for white patrons.

But O'Malley didn't leave Brooklyn just because Moses hadn't yet built his stadium (Moses did agree to build in Queens, at O'Malley's suggestion, before the team changed its mind). LA was willing to go to extreme lengths to clear away the people who lived in Chavez Ravine; it's unclear that Washington or Tampa would have done that for him. So in the absence of such a deal from LA, I don't see the Dodgers moving.

That can't be right (or at least it's not enforced) when FS Wisconsin airs Minnesota Wild games.

Not to mention that Atlanta gets slates of Perds games and Hurricanes games to fill the void the Thrashers left. I suppose the rebuttal is then, "well, that's their market." The Winnipeg Jets get to claim goddamn Nunavut as their market. I think the NHL just makes crap up as they go along.

Not really expansion, but I was reading up on history about the Brooklyn Dodgers and found some interesting things...

The Washington Senators were targeted to move to Los Angeles before the Dodgers

The New York Giants wanted to originally move to Minneapolis

Dodgers owner, Walter O'Malley was told he could not move to California unless another team moved with him

What if...

The Senators moved to Los Angeles and became let's say... Los Angeles Angels!

The Giants moved to Minneapolis and kept the name or went with Twins

The Dodgers fled Brooklyn because a new Stadium wasn't going to be built (as planned) and moved to either Tampa Bay or Washington DC

Now you have the newly formed Los Angeles Angels (4 years before actual establishment ('58 opposed to '61)

Minnesota Giants/Twins

Tampa Bay Dodgers/Sun Rays? Or Washington Nationals WAY before Montreal relocated

Didn't the St. Louis Browns also consider a move to LA?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived