2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll notice Ryne Sandberg just behind Utley. I thought the two were very similar players. Both were the complete package you would look for in a second basrman and would have been higher on this list had they been great for just a bit longer, but still in both cases I would say slam dunk HOFers.

I'd be very surprised if Utley is a HOFer. Sandberg was a better hitter and a better fielder. I never saw Utley as a good fielder.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/los-angeles-dodgers-chase-utley-sabermetric-hall-of-fame/

I'll just post this as one last defense of my point.

He's almost the second base equivalent of Sandy Koufax as far as being someone who had a great five year peak but did almost nothing outside of it. Those are some of the toughest guys to break down, so not surprised there's some controversy about how good his HOF case really is even amongst the sabermetric community.

When I see smart people coming to different conclusions on a player its hard to defend any position with much vigor.

How was Sandberg defensively? I've heard varying opinions anywhere from him being really good to being a guy who never got his uniform dirty.

For when he played I thought he was the best in the NL, but you also have people out there swearing up and down Derek Jeter was a great defensive shortstop.

If you're someone that just flat out refuses to acknowledge defensive mettics as a reasonable way to evaluate defense, you can make any argument you want simply by saying I saw him play.

How was Sandberg defensively? I've heard varying opinions anywhere from him being really good to being a guy who never got his uniform dirty.

For when he played I thought he was the best in the NL, but you also have people out there swearing up and down Derek Jeter was a great defensive shortstop.
Sandberg made the hard look easy, Jeter made the easy look hard. Hard to argue with all the Gold Gloves that Sandberg won.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bumgarner is on fire, home run #5 tonight in Pittsburgh.

In other news, someone else homered tonight in Pittsburgh, and call me crazy but I have the strangest feeling I saw something like this coming.

Giants get Marlon Byrd from the Reds for a minor leaguer.

Oh wonderful, just in time for the Pirates series.

You want proof that no-hitters are flukes? Mike Fiers and Chris Heston have thrown them this year.

Humorous statement. A fluke is a one time thing, aka a ball hitting off a bat twice or a player who's never hit a homer in his 10 year career, hitting a game winning home run. A no hitter is proof how the game is a team game and even the lower tiered players can do something amazing. There's a reason they are in the majors and that is why, they have what it takes to be there.

Had a good Sunday. I had a good BBQ today and my cousin says that it's going to be the Cardinals and the Giants again in the NL title series. I laughed, but she says no! They're royalty. Watching this Pirates/Giants game right now and I think that the Pirates will win tonight.

I want championships!

Archived