2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto Star wrote a piece today concerning baseball stadium lower bowl fan safety.

I think there should be screen/netting extended at least to the end of each dugout. Opponents suggest ppl who sit at field level need to realize how much attention they should be paying to actual game action. To which I say sure, just as soon as every single MLB park stop distracting them with digital eye candy scattered all over their vistas for replays, info, & entertainment.

It's archaic to think fans are going to pay premium pricing & only have eyes, (& ears, & all other senses) solely dedicated to game action... for the 2.5hr+ time it takes for 9 innings.

If MLB waits until someone dies, they're doing it wrong.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Toronto Star wrote a piece today concerning baseball stadium lower bowl fan safety.

I think there should be screen/netting extended at least to the end of each dugout. Opponents suggest ppl who sit at field level need to realize how much attention they should be paying to actual game action. To which I say sure, just as soon as every single MLB park stop distracting them with digital eye candy scattered all over their vistas for replays, info, & entertainment.

It's archaic to think fans are going to pay premium pricing & only have eyes, (& ears, & all other senses) solely dedicated to game action... for the 2.5hr+ time it takes for 9 innings.

If MLB waits until someone dies, they're doing it wrong.

I am in begrudging agreement. I HATE having a net in front of me but in some of those seats, even the average person paying attention to the game may take one in the head. First rule should be that if a piece of a broken bat can make it there, it should be screened.

I found the article you refer to and it does not say which end of the dugout, but I suspect they mean the "far" end since they discuss the safety of those sitting behind it. I get to sit in that section about once a year at target field (first base side) and that thought causes me to stay very focused when a right-handed hitter is at the plate.

And as much as so many fans drive me bonkers, the reality is that the game is about half of the reason many are there. My oft-used comment is that people like going to baseball games a lot more than they like watching baseball. This year, my one game in these good (and not cheap seats) had me surrounded by some of the most "cheap-seat" behavior I've ever been around. People were there to have a good time and not to watch the game (I know that makes me seem old and curmudgeonly, but I am who I am). And of course the quiet ones were texting. Most of them could get hit by a lazy pop-up, let along a line shot. That is the way the games are today. The team/ballpark-driven distractions, the beer, and the behavior of the fans; this is the product today. It would be a PR nightmare for teams to try to tell fans to sit down and watch the game (not to mention completely ineffective). They'll have to adjust. And right now nets are the best way. I really hope they don't go knee-jerk and go all the way down the lines. The far end of the dugout should be OK.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I am in begrudging agreement. I HATE having a net in front of me but in some of those seats, even the average person paying attention to the game may take one in the head. First rule should be that if a piece of a broken bat can make it there, it should be screened.

Nearly every single inning or so at SkyDome, a foul ball launches straight back & ppl at field level always flinch. They get mocked for it because they're on tv with the pitcher-hitter telecast angle, but those ppl usually all say the same thing - that they forgot they were watching through any security netting.

I've been to hockey games in upper bowl & I barely register the end netting any more.

I read the article offline so I forget some details. I think it mentioned some ppl wanting netting all the way from foul pole to foul pole, which I think is a bit much. I just figured dugout end to dugout end would be an easy standard for the entire league. Maybe even if it was an angle from the far dugout roof end all the way to the top of the existing foul screen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-playoff-hopes/?ex_cid=GrantlandFBhttp://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-playoff-hopes/?ex_cid=GrantlandFB

Great article. Sums up my 2010 and my 2012 pretty perfectly. Also sums up how by 2013 I was jaded and crabby at only winning 90 games. But can't wait until I get to go through the revival all over again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-playoff-hopes/?ex_cid=GrantlandFBhttp://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-playoff-hopes/?ex_cid=GrantlandFB

Great article. Sums up my 2010 and my 2012 pretty perfectly. Also sums up how by 2013 I was jaded and crabby at only winning 90 games. But can't wait until I get to go through the revival all over again.

I can relate to this as a Twins fan. We were never as good as the Blue Jays are right now, but in the 2000s we were always competitive and the in 2011, *poof* it was gone. So right now, with the team hovering around .500 and not really a factor to go the World Series or anything, I am enjoying having an average team and one that, if it gets hot, may sneak into the Wild Card game (that I don't think should exist). They could be back to losing 90 next year, so I'm gonna enjoy the rest of this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In other baseball news...There is a God!

Good riddance, you worthless jackass!! Man... seven years and only twice did the M's finish above .500 and one of those was last year. Whatever magic he had in Milwaukee must of stayed there because he was quite inept.

This franchise is on the verge of taking over the longest playoff drought at 14 years... whoever is the new GM better be a got damn genius or else.

I prefer the Mets in pinstripes as well, especially now since they're back in bleach white. So much better than the cream.

Speaking of the Mets, it's funny how I'm cheering for them this weekend over the Red Sox. The reason being that the Mets are contending, while the Sox are out of the playoff picture. Still, it feels pretty weird. :P

mets12_zpscysvezot.jpg

Gross. The Mets belong in pinstripes.
You must be confusing them with that other New York team.

The Mets have over 50 years of history in pinstripes. The other New York team can suck it if it bothers them (which it doesn't, but they can suck it anyway).

The Giants and Cardinals play again to reignite their NL rivalry. Good game in SF right now. I want to see another Cards/Giants NLCS. :D:D(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)

This guy gets it. The schedule makers should be formally recognized for having the foresight to put these Giants-Cardinals matchups late in the season like this. It's like an end-of-summer nocturne, carrying us past those dry, vast summer nights into the welcoming aubades of autumn.

For all we hear about Cardinal Devil Magic, I think we may need to make room for Giants Devil Magic. Considering they've won more titles in the last deacde (3 to 2 and have beaten the Rasputin Cardinals in the postseason recently....

Marlon Byrd is basically picking up where Ross and Scutaro- Giants pick up a bat mid-summer and he suddenly turns into Will Clark at the plate for them and never cools off.

It's funny how a few seasons of success can change your perception and thoughts about a team. For example, as a 25-year-old Orioles fan, I barely remember any success prior to 2012. I rooted hard for the team nonetheless. Each win was exciting and each loss came with the thought that there were no expectations anyway. However, three-straight winning seasons (after 14-consecutive losing seasons) and a trip to the ALCS has come with heightened expectations and the frustrations of each loss. That said, it sure was easier and more enjoyable to root for a team without expectation or one that overachieves than one expected to win every year. Just a thought I had after getting upset with the team's eight loss in ten days after winning four in a row to slide into the second wild card spot.

Also, the same will be said about my Buckeyes in nine days. Anything less than a national championship will be a huge disappointment, but last year's team was exciting because the expectations weren't there. Funny how sports work.

Just hope your team wins every game you watch/attend and keep the bigger picture out if it as best you can.

The Cubs were the best team in the NL in 2008 and got swept for a second straight year. Never mind 1984 and 2003. I'm jaded until the World Series forever. Hope they win it if they ever get there.

Archived