2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

This would have been the worst loss of the year for the Cubs had they not held on last night.

Steven freaking Piscotty- guy wouldn't hit water if he played in Seattle, but then again, anybody puts on a Cardinal uniform and they cease to suck.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In actual news, Ruben Amaro is out in Philadelphia

I'm currently in Dublin but I could hear the cheers all the way from Philadelphia when this was announced.

In a weird move, they're likely maintaining the baseball ops staff, including the interim manager instead of having the new GM pick his own guys because they want him focused 100% on talent. Seems like McPhail is essentially the GM, and whoever gets that title will just be an analytics guy / legwork guy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In actual news, Ruben Amaro is out in Philadelphia

I'm currently in Dublin but I could hear the cheers all the way from Philadelphia when this was announced.

In a weird move, they're likely maintaining the baseball ops staff, including the interim manager instead of having the new GM pick his own guys because they want him focused 100% on talent. Seems like McPhail is essentially the GM, and whoever gets that title will just be an analytics guy / legwork guy.

A move that should have happened three years ago.

The Phillies along with the Marlins are one of the two teams in baseball that have completely rejected the theory of Sabermetrics. How you can do that and still run a team to me is almost the same thing riding a bicycle with one leg. You can do it, you may even be faster then some riders with two legs if you're good, but good luck trying to win the Tour de France, or in this case the World Series.

Its not surprising that as more and more teams have moved in the Sabermetric direction the Phillies have fallen further and further behind to the point where now they're so far behind that they're staring down their worst season in more then 40 years, but that's what's happens when you have a GM that still thinks batting average is more important than on base percentage. Seriously, "I don't care about walks" is an actual quote from the guy.

The biggest knock on Amaro from most people is that he was too loyal to his players, a criticism that I would agree with, but mine is that the guy had zero idea on how to draft or develop a farm system. That's really where a lack of statistical knowledge gets exposed. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball and we would be a better team with him then without him. You don't need to run any kind of statistical regressions on that, you just know it. But when you get to the Minor Leagues and College levels where its not so obvious from the basic stats who projects into a future Major Leaguer, that's where you can find yourself in a bit of trouble and where analytics can help give you some direction. This is really where the Phillies have completely and utterly failed as a franchise in recent years.

This guy took over the best team in baseball and in a matter of seven years turned it into the worst. There is no way this guy was anything other then an incompetent jackass as a Major League GM.

Melvin Upton breaks up Madison Bumgarner's perfect game bid in the 8th. I'm sure the Padres just love being on the wrong side of Giants history. 2 Lincecum no-hitters and the 2010 NL West division race.

I think it's rather sad that Melvin was the better bargain of the Upton Brothers for the Padres this year.

Archived