NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chiefs' socks are striped, but your point stands. That is a great uniform.

The gold isn't working for me with the Ravens. However, as someone said upthread, that shade of gold would be perfect for New Orleans. The Ravens, on the other hand, should be in all black (even the low socks), but with a better number font than the cartoonish one that so many teams seemed to use in the '90s (Ravens, Warriors, Wizards, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Hawks, probably some others). It lacks the seriousness I associate with the Ravens and their players/fanbase that take every iota of criticism as a challenge to a duel.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really like those pants, and don't really mind the striping issue. They just don't go well with the rest of the uniform since there's so little mustard. If they made the numbers mustard and had a helmet logo with some more, and wore the purple socks, then it would look good.

Unfortunately, the Ravens should be purple and black, and I wouldn't want them adding enough gold to justify the pants.

Maybe the Vikings could adopt this shade and go purple over gold at home and then white over purple on the road with the occasional use of gold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know, I like that the Vikings are more a purple and white team with some gold. It sets them apart from the Lakers, who are a gold and purple team with some white. The single-layer numbers especially look good for the Vikes, whether it's white on purple or vice versa.

"Justify My Pants" was a Madonna rough draft, I believe.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looks awful with the purple jerseys. Wear them on the road with black socks and it might not be that bad.

Then they'd basically be the Steelers with some purple though.

People need to stop saying this. The Steelers wear yellow. They would look nothing like the Steelers. It's still a bad idea, though.

Also, in adding more gold, the Ravens would be on no danger of stepping on the Vikings' toes since they wear yellow(gold).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They've always had fairly strict regulations when it comes uniforms. From limits on alt jerseys, to the amount of time a set needs to be worn before it gets changed, all the way to scrutinization on sock length, they've always had a certain set of rules they're pretty rigid about.

They stopped caring about that a long, long time ago. To the point where it became more or less a suggestion. About five years ago Charles Woodson talked (bragged?) about being fined $15,000 a game for wearing the wrong socks. He didn't mind paying under .01% of his yearly salary to wear what he wanted, so the NFL became feckless. And from the looks of it, I don't think they even go through the motions anymore and fine guys. Tights. Solid whites. Solid colors. Multiple pairs of striped socks at various heights so you see 2-3 striping patterns? Players pretty much wear whatever they want.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I was out at the bar watching the early games yesterday, when I looked up and saw these atrocities on the screen, at first thinking I was watching some SWAC team in a bowl game.

I smiled to myself thinking of this place going absolutely ape :censored: at that moment

When I first saw this on the Red Zone channel, I thought it was the New York Titans.

Same here. When I saw a highlight of the game, from a play that started in the shade, I immediately thought it was the Jets in Titans throwbacks. Then I said "Wait a minute, they don't wear those anymore." Then the players ran out of the shadow and I saw the purple and noticed it was the Ravens.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know, I like that the Vikings are more a purple and white team with some gold. It sets them apart from the Lakers, who are a gold and purple team with some white. The single-layer numbers especially look good for the Vikes, whether it's white on purple or vice versa.

"Justify My Pants" was a Madonna rough draft, I believe.

Why would an NFL team have any obligation to set themselves apart from an NBA team 1500 miles away?

So, what's the deal with this apparent NFL uniform regulation guide? I feel like they ALWAYS talk about that crap and use it as an excuse to not do anything even remotely fun.

Such as... ?

They've always had fairly strict regulations when it comes uniforms. From limits on alt jerseys, to the amount of time a set needs to be worn before it gets changed, all the way to scrutinization on sock length, they've always had a certain set of rules they're pretty rigid about. It just seems like this season in particular they've kind of taken those regulations they've set for themselves and tossed them out of the window. Color Rush was sprung on us pretty last minute, and I don't know anyone who saw those strange Ravens pants coming. I'm happy that they're finally starting to relax on all that a bit, but every unusual out of the box move they've made uniform wise so far this year has been almost universally terrible.

And yet they won't let the Bucs wear their throwbacks anymore because they won't even compromise on helmet shells. It all just feels SO arbitrary and random. Like they're just throwing :censored: at the wall and trying to see what sticks.

As for Color Rush, we've known about this since July. They just didn't make a big push until it was ready for its debut.

But the one-helmet rule? That's your complaint? That has absolutely zero to do with the uniform regulations. I know we conflate the two on this board all the time, but they come from entirely separate places. Safety regulations and uniform regulations are entirely different.

Head coach John Harbaugh said they were in the works since last year in advance of the 20th anniversary season.

Archived