In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

I for one am convinced now that the "Big Three" can't get it done in the playoffs and need to be broken up. Wouldn't be sad to see Doc GTFO as well for the damage he's done to our roster.

Ballmer kind of got swindled by Doc. He paid 2 billion dollars for the team, and pretty much rushed right into giving Doc that huge contract, giving him almost complete control of the team. It doesn't seem like Ballmer really did any kind of consultation or explored other options before that. Doc's done a masterful job of crafting this image of himself as a great basketball mind and one of the great coaches today, when all he's really done is ride a loaded Celtics roster to one title. I guess cracking jokes with the media in that gravelly voice is more influential than actual performance on the court. We've all been had.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that wishes the first round can go back to being a best of 5?

Most of these series are foregone conclusions and don't need to be dragged out anymore.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yes, break up the best team the Clippers have ever had or may ever have. You guys are funny. Eager to get back to the good old days of the lottery, are you? You break up what the Clippers have right now and it's back to the bottom. Forever.

---

I have no idea why the NBA ever left the five-game first rounds. Was there a demand for more lopsided games? I know more games is more money, but at what entertainment cost?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers were having a down year, so the NBA wanted to squeeze out an extra game with them. I forget the year it was announced, but that was the implied justification. Stern was a weasel, so of course there was never a clear answer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers were having a down year, so the NBA wanted to squeeze out an extra game with them. I forget the year it was announced, but that was the implied justification. Stern was a weasel, so of course there was never a clear answer.

It coincided with the start of their new TV deal when they left NBC for ABC/ESPN and received 24% more money.

The Shaq/Kobe Lakers were having a down year, so the NBA wanted to squeeze out an extra game with them. I forget the year it was announced, but that was the implied justification. Stern was a

weasel, so of course there was never a clear answer.

2003 was the first for the best of 7 first round series.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

That Nets crowd today.... man, one of the lamest playoff crowds ever.

It's like everything the 2007 Warriors and 2010 Thunder were as an 8 seed- only the exact opposite.

No more afternoon starts in Brooklyn. Ever. Please.

That Nets crowd today.... man, one of the lamest playoff crowds ever.

It's like everything the 2007 Warriors and 2010 Thunder were as an 8 seed- only the exact opposite.

No more afternoon starts in Brooklyn. Ever. Please.

The public was wise enough to protest the effort from Derron Williams and "Ski Mask Joe" Johnson because they're stealing money.

Joe-Johnson-Ski-Mask_zpsittf35iv.jpg

Yes, break up the best team the Clippers have ever had or may ever have. You guys are funny. Eager to get back to the good old days of the lottery, are you? You break up what the Clippers have right now and it's back to the bottom. Forever.

This is one of the most illogical arguments I've heard. Just because the Clippers used to suck under completely different ownership, front-office guys, coaches and players doesn't mean that we should now just be okay with wasting Blake's career with annual first or second round exits. The Sterling-run Clippers of the past have absolutely zero relevance to how Ballmer runs the team.

By your logic, because Don Carter and Ross Perot, Jr. ran the Mavericks into the ground in the '90s, Cuban should have never replaced the Dirk/Nash/Finley core that never won anything with the Dirk/Howard/Terry core that got to the Finals, and eventually, the Dirk/Chandler/Kidd core that won a ring. You can see how absurd that sounds, right?

Ultimately, the goal is to win a title, not stay on the treadmill of mediocrity and be the Washington Generals to actual contenders' Harlem Globetrotters come playoff time every year. There's only so many times you can sell a fanbase on false hope and incremental improvements before you have to take a good, long look at the core.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Clippers need a bench, and they don't need to destroy their core to do it. Remember when the Dubs were Steph/Klay/Iggy/Lee/Bogut and nothing else? The Clippers just need some depth and they'll be dangerous.

There lies their issue since DeAndre is a UFA and will most likely get a max offer.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_clippers.htm

Crawford has a team option for next year, but even with a cap increase, there is little room unless Balmer wants to pay the repeater tax soon.

LAC doesn't have the luxury of locking up Curry and Thompson on the cheap which GSW did with both as neither have max deals.

Just 2 years ago, LA had the highest scoring bench in the NBA. How do you go from that to this in just TWO seasons?

Whatever happened to 'A Tribe Called Bench?'

los-angeles-clippers-bench.jpg

Seriously, if you had that bench with this starting five, they could have won 60 games.

The Clippers need a bench, and they don't need to destroy their core to do it. Remember when the Dubs were Steph/Klay/Iggy/Lee/Bogut and nothing else? The Clippers just need some depth and they'll be dangerous.

We don't have the cap space or assets to put together a decent bench, or fill the even bigger holes at shooting guard and small forward in the starting lineup (Redick and Barnes are getting exposed as usual in the playoffs). The only way to replenish any of those is to trade some of the core players. Additionally, even when the Clippers had depth (remember "A Tribe Called Bench"?), Paul still couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Just 2 years ago, LA had the highest scoring bench in the NBA. How do you go from that to this in just TWO seasons?

Whatever happened to 'A Tribe Called Bench?'

los-angeles-clippers-bench.jpg

Seriously, if you had that bench with this starting five, they could have won 60 games.

Lamar Odom: Crack

Matt Barnes: Old man who starts fights he can't win.

Ronny Turiaf: Was always just good enough to stay on a roster when youthful. In 2015, he's 32 and stinks. I mean, he really stinks!

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2011/10/12/2485494/amare-stoudemire-confirms-that-ronny-turiaf-stinks

And Ryan Collins has never been anything worth noting as a NBA player too. Stop crediting him.

$15.5 mil a year for Barnes/Hawes/Redick is killing the team a lot more than Blake and CP3. If Jordan walks, sure it clears up some cap room, but who else is gonna fill in as their C that won't be asking for the same money?

Why does a Center really matter in this version of basketball?

Stretch the floor and play from the outside-in matters more.

Look at GSW, who sits high priced David Lee.

Look at HOU, who finally seems to be on these verge of winning a series with Morey as GM.

MIA got to four consecutive Finals without a true C, or post player.

LAC has two, dominant post players who are limited. S#it, Doc even just used Kendrick Perkins to rebound and put back to win that title.

I mean, I just wouldn't trust Blake to be the sole interior presence on the team.

LeBron for all purposes can function as a good center with defense and rebounding just from his pure athleticism.

Golden State has the one-two punch of Green and Bogut and without them the Dubs would leave a gaping hole in the paint for others to score.

The Spurs have Duncan and the revolving door of the likes of Splitter and Diaw stepping up in crunch time. Could you expect the same from the likes of Hawes and Davis? Probably not.

Dwight is probably past his prime, but last game against the Mavs you could see how much he can affect the game.

There's still a lot of high caliber players that make their bread and butter shredding teams in the inside like Harden and LeBron, and like the SF position with Barnes, having replacement-level players starting there is a critical flaw, 3-pointers be damned.

GSW can still dump the David Lee contract in its last year and still sign Green.

Howard is still a viable player with HOU and he fits in what Morey wants to have, as long as Morey is GM.

Since Duncan is out of contract and Dirk seems to now be dead*, SAS and DAL are headed to recruit the same player this summer...LaMarcus Aldridge. If Aldridge skips his hometown to sign with SAS, he may continue the SAS championship success, but if Popovich leaves, it's all up in the air. Duncan and Dirk are basically done in terms of minutes, but DAL still has Dirk's contract to deal with and that no major free agents sign there, even locals like Derron Williams.

*-Chandler Parsons may need microfracture.

As bad as the Bulls' loss was, to get it tied after being down 6 with a minute to play at least made it entertaining.

They had a chance to win, so there are no concerns, despite the bad turnover and defense by Rose in the final seconds. No panic. Get the "gentleman's sweep" at home.

Oh, and add me to the list of fans that prefer best of 5 in the first round.

Welcome to the club.

When the Best-of-7 was introduced in the first round in 2003, I was afraid that they would do this to insure that some of the big market teams wouldn't get knocked off and therefore, the TV ratings would drop. Let's face it... no one wanted Minnesota to move on, right?

As for now... here's my take so far on each series:

-Blowing that big lead was a total back breaker for the Pelicans. It's that simple. Had they held on, I'd think it would go 6 or 7. Instead, Golden State finished them off rather quickly.

-If there was any team that looked the weakest heading to the playoffs, it was Portland. They struggled down the stretch and they got injured men. Top it off with a good Memphis team in the first round and you have the makings of one and done.

-Losing Game 2 in OT sure got into the head of the Clippers... how else can you explain that stink bomb in Game 3?

-Houston is pretty good. That's all that needs to be said.

-Brooklyn might have made it a series with the win today. Let's see if the Hawks can get back up after that one.

-I saw a picture on Facebook that best describes the Raptors... During the season, they live up to their nickname. Come playoff time, they turn into Barney the purple dinosaur.

-What I said about Houston can also be said about Cleveland.

-Milwaukee will not go into the night quietly... which is a shame, because I like the new look and the quicker they can get to it, the better.

Archived