When will the OKC Thunder get a rebrand?

habsfan1

The OKC Thunder have been around for 7 years. While they've achieved some success lately with Kevin Durant being their star player, they are mostly known for their joke of a logo. That placeholder they refer to as their logo with the "Insert Name Here" area at the top makes them the subject of so much ridicule, I just don't know how some people seemingly in charge just keep putting up with it.

We do know is that just about every Sports Logos fan from these boards sees and understands just how much of a problem their logo is. But what I'm curious to know is how do OKC fans and maybe non Sports Logos fans of the team feel about this whole situation. Does this logo get frowned upon elsewhere too, or do casual fans simply not pay attention to the image that's representing the franchise they support? I'm really curious to see what's up on that level.

And has there been any discussion about the team getting a new logo/rebrand within the OKC franchise community a.k.a. whoever's in charge? What's the latest on that, or has there been anything lately? Or ever? Would be great to get a little bit deeper insight about this.

Discussion is open.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo is terrible.

The logo situation is not.

I hardly hear complaints outside of the ccslc.

With that being said, I like the colors, uniforms are okay, but that logo is just an abomination and I hope they change it soon.

Yeah, that sorta explains it.

I understand some people aren't logo fanatics like us. But I have difficulty thinking that even the average fan can look at a piece of merch with the Thunder logo on it and say the logo looks good.

"That placeholder they refer to as their logo with the "Insert Name Here" area at the top makes them the subject of so much ridicule, I just don't know how some people seemingly in charge just keep putting up with it."

Ridicule from where? This messsage board? I highly doubt they care what people on here think. They care about what people who buy their merch think. As long as people are buying it, then there's no reason for them to change.

I have no idea how strong their fan support is, but I'd imagine that they're just happy to have a pro team, and said team could wear trash bags and they wouldn't care.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have no idea how strong their fan support is, but I'd imagine that they're just happy to have a pro team, and said team could wear trash bags and they wouldn't care.

Seeing how it's Oklahoma, yeah, I'd say the exact same thing and know first hand that they care more about just having SOME team in their state instead of the look.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The OKC Thunder have been around for 7 years. While they've achieved some success lately with Kevin Durant being their star player, they are mostly known for their joke of a logo.

Really? They are mostly known for their logo?? I think you're completely wrong on that one. I highly doubt the general public or OKC fanbase associate the Thunder with their "joke of a logo".

I don't understand why everybody hates the Thunder logo yet think the Lakers, Knicks. and Pistons logos are amazing. They're all just boring wordmarks over basketballs.

People hate those logos just as much as the Thunder abomination. But those logos have something that the Thunder don't have: tradition.

I don't understand why everybody hates the Thunder logo yet think the Lakers, Knicks. and Pistons logos are amazing. They're all just boring wordmarks over basketballs.

Provide some evidence that everyone thinks the Lakers, Knicks, or Pistons logos are amazing. You're just saying things.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seeing how it's Oklahoma, yeah, I'd say the exact same thing and know first hand that they care more about just having SOME team in their state instead of the look.

As a former Oklahoman (and as a Thunder fan) this is pretty accurate for the fan base. I'd definitely prefer a re-do in terms of their identity but the vast majority of fans don't seem to mind what they currently have.

For me, there are just too many colors -- two blues contrasting with a red-orange and yellow. I've always hated the Jayhawks colors because you've got all three primary colors as the school colors. And that is nearly the case for OKC. (Substitute red for red-orange.) The actual uniforms aren't too bad in my opinion but I'm not a fan of the fauxback. The logo itself isn't anything special and has received it's fair share of critique here so I won't get into it.

I'd prefer stormy colors for the team. Someone mentioned in another thread -- anthracite and volt. Knowing this board, it was probably a joke but I actually think that would be an interesting color palette for a team with stormy connotations. :P It would seem a bit gimmicky now though. Maybe some form of a dark gray and brighter yellow. Even a navy and bright yellow could look nice.

The current color choices are meant to reflect "sunsets in Oklahoma", (as if the rest of the world doesn't have sunsets). It just seems silly to me. Especially a team named after thunderstorms. The red-orange is supposed to be a blend of the Cowboys and Sooners colors, but it has always seemed to be a bit more orange than crimson.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

People hate those logos just as much as the Thunder abomination. But those logos have something that the Thunder don't have: tradition.

They certainly don't have the tradition of those franchises but if they win a championship, their identity will have some staying power. They are talented enough to do so as soon as next season, but that's another topic.

Even if they become awful in the near future, these uniforms will reflect the "glory years" of OKC's franchise. It may be hard for some to let go.

As much as I want change, I just don't think we'll get any drastic changes in the foreseeable future.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I'll take a boring wordmark over a basketball over whatever the hell the Thunder logo is supposed to be any day.

The OKC Thunder have been around for 7 years. While they've achieved some success lately with Kevin Durant being their star player, they are mostly known for their joke of a logo.

Really? They are mostly known for their logo?? I think you're completely wrong on that one. I highly doubt the general public or OKC fanbase associate the Thunder with their "joke of a logo".

No I meant over here on the boards. Most talk is about their abomination of a logo. Not all, but most.

Not taking away their on-court accomplishments. It's just that their logo issues stir up at lot more discussion.

The colour scheme and uniforms are tolerable and inoffensive, but that logo's gotta go. It's just so generic for a name that presents so many opportunities for interesting imagery. Lakers, Knicks, and Pistons are tougher to represent (although I liked the idea of Detroit using a horse in their logo). I've seen some nice concepts for OKC that incorporate a charging bison combined with clouds (i.e. a thundering herd of bison). I agree with DG_Now though, if Durant and Westbrook eventually leave town it'll mark the end of the honeymoon period for fans of this franchise. Considering how spoiled the fanbase has been, they'd likely need a rebrand to keep people buying merchandise.

Archived