CFL to Back Canadian Soccer League

kw11333

As per Duane Rollins (@24thminute on Twitter) Canada is expected to announce its own domestic soccer league, which will be backed by the CFL and have a TV deal with TSN.

This is likely to fill all the new stadiums the CFL has built over the last few years.

I am expecting Ottawa and Edmonton to switch from the NASL and for the rest of the teams to adopt something similar to their CFL teams current branding.

I wonder if the Winnipeg Fury would return?? Would be great to see that ... what would the names be for the 9 teams in the CSL??

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

The key here is that this will be a D3 level league, so expect TFC 2, Whitecaps FC 2 and, FC Montreal to be a part of this.

TFC 2 was only granted sanction by the CSA for 1 year because they didn't want them playing in an American league once the that was rectified FC Montreal and Whitecaps FC 2 quickly came into being. I assume they'll be granted another year in USL

Then we'll probably see FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury (who already share CFL ownership) move in as well (when I say as well, I'm agreeing with kw11333, I don't believe that's offical yet though)

That leaves Calgary, Saskatchewan and, Winnipeg.

Domestic quota is expected to be 70%

Expect summer 2017 as the start date.

More on it here

Either way, this is a good thing for soccer in Canada, we desperately need a route from rep to pro in order to grown the national team.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The key here is that this will be a D3 level league, so expect TFC 2, Whitecaps FC 2 and, FC Montreal to be a part of this.

TFC 2 was only granted sanction by the CSA for 1 year because they didn't want them playing in an American league once the that was rectified FC Montreal and Whitecaps FC 2 quickly came into being. I assume they'll be granted another year in USL

Then we'll probably see FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury (who already share CFL ownership) move in as well (when I say as well, I'm agreeing with kw11333, I don't believe that's offical yet though)

More on it here

Either way, this is a good thing for soccer in Canada, we desperately need a route from rep to pro in order to grown the national team.

With With Cyle Larin and Tesho Akindele on Canada, I expect the team to shock a lot of people at the Gold Cup. Akindele was rookie of the year last year with 10 goals and Larin already has 6 goals this year.

On FIFA's pyramid scale, this league will be tier 1, but for all intensive purposes tier 2/3.

Anything above 5k a game for attendance would be quite good. With smart marketing, they can get 20k for a few teams by pairing tickets with CFL ones.

The difference between the new Canadian league and the NASL is that the Canadian markets often have nothing to do outside the CFL in the summer. There is no baseball, college football. Cheap tickets would be something to do.

Also with the CFL's help, there will be significantly more marketing for the league than what Ottawa and Edmonton get right now.

I'm all for soccer growing in Canada and North America in general, so I'm very interested in seeing this league. Now I just hope that there will be a team in Hamilton or another team in the GTA that isn't TFC 2. I'd definitely be interested in supporting them.

The travel costs will be immense if there will be a team in the Marititmes.

For FC Edmonton it would probably be a godsend compared to the travel costs they will have to pay to play Carmello's Puerto Rico FC when they come to the NASL.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Foothills FC has drawn well in their first year in the USL.

I mean Canada probably should've been doing this a while ago, but it all goes back to the 1994 World Cup and Canada almost qualifying and what that could have done for the CSA money wise, not qualifying really boned them for every year since then.

But I'm totally down with this!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

More on it here

With With Cyle Larin and Tesho Akindele on Canada, I expect the team to shock a lot of people at the Gold Cup. Akindele was rookie of the year last year with 10 goals and Larin already has 6 goals this year.

On FIFA's pyramid scale, this league will be tier 1, but for all intensive purposes tier 2/3.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, MLS coming to Canada has really helped makes strides, and I think they have a good chance to get out of their group in the Gold cup. I'm not trying to say things are as bad as they were even 5 years ago.

Good point of clarification regarding the FIFA pyramid.

Might be a dumb question, but what would become of TFC, Montreal and Vancouver?

Nothing, they'll remain in MLS.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think Wales is probably a better analogy than Scotland; the biggest clubs will remain in MLS (and possibly even the NASL), just as Cardiff, Swansea and a couple others play in the English system.

I'm very curious to see how that pans out.

Might be a dumb question, but what would become of TFC, Montreal and Vancouver?

Nothing. MLS tv deal + money will not affect them in the least. They won't feel obligated to assist, just as American MLS teams aren't throwing bones to NASL &/or USL in the US.

I would expect though to see the 3 of them schedule some worthwhile matches, competitively or friendly, with this new league. At least for the CONCACAF CL play-ins.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Well, unless you consider having a structured partnership, affiliate relationships and reserve teams in the USL bones to be thrown...

Honestly, I know nothing of the NASL nor USL other than they're not MLS.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Should look at what the A-League did in Australia after the mess the NSL was.

Maybe 8 teams in the West and 8 teams in the East would cut down travel?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Archived