infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 9

infrared41

With six teams on a bye - including three weekly best list contenders - week 9 didn't give us a whole lot to work with, but what we got was still pretty good. On the flip side, there weren't any truly awful looking games, but we did get an early look at what I think is the ugliest NFL uniform I've ever seen. So place your bets, put 60 seconds on the clock, and let's play our game. I would say do your best to ignore the camouflage, but since it's camouflage, we shouldn't be able to see it anyway, right? (sorry, couldn't resist) As always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Raiders - Steelers: In my humble opinion, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the NFL. Add in one of the best home uniforms in the NFL and this one was a no-brainer. Great looking match up between two classic looks. As I've said about eleventy billion times over the years, every game should look this good.

Raiders.jpg

2. Packers - Panthers: Going in, I didn't think this game would look as good as it did. I was surprised by how nicely the colors popped in this one. I know a lot of people around here think the Panthers look dated, but I think their set holds up really well. The Packers are right behind the Raiders on my list of best road uniforms.

Packers.jpg

3. Rams - Vikings: My guess is I'm in the minority when it comes to liking the Rams in all white. Could be that it's because it's the closest I'll get to my beloved blue and white Rams uniforms. In any case, I really like the look. It's my favorite of the current Rams combos. It's a shame that this is the last season we'll get to see those great Vikings home uniforms in natural light.

Rams%20.jpg

4. Eagles - Cowboys: No idea why, but I like the look of Philly's drab green better at night than I do in the daylight. You'd think that drab shade of green needs all the light it can get. Cowboys colors, blah, blah, blah. I still like the look. Sue me. B)

Eagles%20.jpg

5. Washington - New England: The sunlight made this game look really good. The colors worked well together too.

Pats1.jpg

Thanks for ruining messing up a potentially great match up:

This week's winner, the Tennessee Titans. Last week the Titans were the on the other end of this deal. This week, they go and mess up what could have been a really good looking game. This wasn't a terrible looking game, it just could have looked so much better if the Titans had stuck with the light blue pants. I sure hope losing this game doesn't lead to New Orleans bringing back the black pants.

Saints.jpg

And finally, let's take a look at the ugliest NFL uniform I've ever seen.

TNF_Release_CallOuts_Article.jpg

My BASS cohost, Zach/Still MIGHTY, summed up this disaster best. He said "it looks like someone held the player by his helmet and dipped him in a can of green paint." Pretty much. I'll just add that I can't imagine someone thought this Jets uniform was a good idea. Any bets on which game takes the top spot on the worst list next week? B)

(Cheap plug alert) For more on the NFL Color Rush uniforms, be sure to check out this week's episode of Basically a Sports Show.

That's it for this week. Thank's for dropping by.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, there are several NFL uniform sets worse than the Jets and Bills color rush. I'm surprised the reaction has been so negative with these.

The badness of Color Rush is worse than the sum of its parts.

Who in the world considers the Panthers' look dated??? I honestly don't see how that's possible.

I'll bite. To me, the most dated aspect of that uniform is the logo overkill. The helmet logos reappearing on the sleeve is something I can live without, pesonally, but by the time we get to the hip and there they are again, I'm well over it. OK, we got it the first time. Very 90's.

And also, as the Admiral says, those helmet and pants stripes were cutting edge about 15 years ago... now, not so much.

I like the pants stripe. My main complaints about the Panthers uniforms are --

1. The weird helmet stripes.

2. The way that the wedge-shaped shoulder stripe/loop gets turned into a straight truncated stripe on most jerseys. (See Cam Newton vs. just about everyone else).

cam1.jpg635822119110383434401782167_Luke-Kuechly

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Who in the world considers the Panthers' look dated??? I honestly don't see how that's possible.

I'll bite. To me, the most dated aspect of that uniform is the logo overkill. The helmet logos reappearing on the sleeve is something I can live without, pesonally, but by the time we get to the hip and there they are again, I'm well over it. OK, we got it the first time. Very 90's.

And also, as the Admiral says, those helmet and pants stripes were cutting edge about 15 years ago... now, not so much.

Gotcha. It just seems strange to me to call an entire look "dated" because of only a few visual quirks. We can call most, if not all, looks "dated" using that criteria. 95% of the Panthers' look is as traditional as it gets, so I'd say that those elements are what sets it apart from similar looks, what makes it unique.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I agree that the Panthers need to drop the hip logo. THAT was a bad '80s fad which popped back up for a few years in the '90s. I don't see the pants stripes as overly '90s, though. I guess it's a product of my age. I started watching football as a kid in 1994 and the Panthers came around the next season. Their uniforms just seemed normal to me. And although it was only two seasons before the Broncos threw everything on its head by going to the current Nikegasm uniforms, I view that as an entire different era. It's just a stones throw, but time goes by slowly when you're a pre-teen/teen. I guess one could make the argument that the Panthers' pants stripes were pro football's first truncated/slash stripes, and therefore lead to the Broncos look.

I've said before that I love the Panthers' uniforms. To me, they're classic. I love the colors. I love the stripes, the balance, everything. I even love the road look with white pants. They need to wear the black jersey for all home games, but that's besides the point. I guess it's because they've looked like this their entire 21 years, but the helmet and pants stripes don't bother me because they both look right. How should they fix it? Reverse the blue and black on the helmet? Or on the pants? It would make more sense to flip the colors on the helmet, but that would look off to me. I guess if they put one (thicker) blue stripe on the helmet with a black outline, matching the pants, going front to back, it would maintain the look. However, it's such a small issue that it doesn't bother me.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The problem with the helmet stripes are that they look normal from the front, but really, really weird from the back. They just curl up and end while coming too close to the logo.

Carolina-Panthers-Players.jpgPANTHERS-13.jpg

I know the picture on the right is from before the logo change. However, the stripes still look the same.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived