Expos logo discussed on sitcom in 1988

Ferdinand Cesarano

Yeah, that was linked above. He's done a great job.

But it's a total logo fail. This shape doesn't read at all like an "M" out of context.

I get that it's a beloved logo, but it's not a very good one.

think it's meant to evoke an M shape like this

x354-q80.jpg

just more bubbly

That is absolutely what they were trying to evoke. But the letter is defined by the three "triangles" of empty space. You can get rid of one or two, but not all of them. Especially with the geegaws on the end. By melding the four vertical bars together, without the empty space separating them, it stops reading as an "M".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am too young to have seen any of the Bob Newhart shows, but I've been told by two different people that my sense of humor and comedic delivery is very much like Newhart's. I don't know if I should take it as a compliment or not.

High praise! Bob Newhart is as true a legend of comedy as one can be. Do people laugh when you're on the phone with difficult people?

Also, I'm younger than you but watched the Bob Newhart Show and Newhart on Nick at Nite or possibly also The Family Channel.

I agree that the Expos logo is clumsy and probably too abstract. That being said, if the Rays moved to Montreal and took the Expos name, would anybody want a different logo on their caps? I don't think I would. To me, that logo *is* the Expos, and even in recognizing it would be a different franchise from the first ones, I think that logo would be perfect for them in a modern setting.

Also, as was said, the shape of the logo doesn't look at all like an M. And that reminds me of a few people here who proposed the new Nationals making a W that was the Expos logo upside down. That would have been really bad.

It's abstract, but like I've said before, Trudeau-père-era Canada seemed to produce lots of abstract geometric logos (NFB, CBC, Quebec Nordiques, a load of QMJHL also-rans), so I accept it as a unique product of a unique time of a unique country. That logo is the Expos and always has been, so any Montreal baseball team would have to wear it, no matter its flaws. Same deal with the Nordiques, where there's a distinct desire for the team to pick up right where it left off.

Flipping a logo upside-down seems quite disrespectful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am too young to have seen any of the Bob Newhart shows, but I've been told by two different people that my sense of humor and comedic delivery is very much like Newhart's. I don't know if I should take it as a compliment or not.

Definitely take it as a compliment. Bob Newhart is incredibly funny.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

High praise! Bob Newhart is as true a legend of comedy as one can be. Do people laugh when you're on the phone with difficult people?

Also, I'm younger than you but watched the Bob Newhart Show and Newhart on Nick at Nite or possibly also The Family Channel.

It's funny that you mention that because yes. Very much so.

I didn't have cable growing up. I think they showed one of the Newhart shows in syndication on Fox Saturday afternoons, but I never watched it. My older brother controlled the TV on Summer days, and he didn't like Bob Newhart because my dad disliked Newhart for some reason. Needless to say, my dad does not consider me funny! It's all coming together now.

So my childhood consisted of the Three Stooges on Sundays, Cosby Show, Silver Spoons, Growing Pains, Gimme a Break, I Love Lucy, and Happy Days on days off of school, and then All in the Family and Sanford & Son late at night. Channel 50 was a godsend back then.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But it's a total logo fail. This shape doesn't read at all like an "M" out of context.

MontrealMwhite.jpg

I think that's a nice stylized representation of an M. The distinctive rounding is also inline with many Montreal-specific logos, including the city logo itself:

Montreal-City-Logo-Design.png

Loved the racing stripes and the pinwheel cap, but never the logo. It might well be the most overrated logo in MLB history. It's poorly designed and unclear, even when you know what it's supposed to be (and they were never actually clear on what that is).

ok... but enough of the Brewers ball-in-glove logo... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Loved the racing stripes and the pinwheel cap, but never the logo. It might well be the most overrated logo in MLB history. It's poorly designed and unclear, even when you know what it's supposed to be (and they were never actually clear on what that is).

ok... but enough of the Brewers ball-in-glove logo... :P

You won't see me defending that as some timeless masterpiece of design. It's no higher than my third favorite Brewers logo.

But even as little love as I have for it, everybody without fail agrees as to what it's supposed to be, and if they don't get the joke on their own everyone sees the "m" and "b" once it's been pointed out to them. Not in the same category at all.

"Overrated" suggests that is highly rated. Is that really the case?

I enjoy the logo almost solely from a nostalgia perspective, and the fact that it's multicolored and unique/retro looking. But the design really is not great, and if it were a new logo it would be widely hated.

It's always looked like "elb" to me, which I've heard explained as "Expos le baseball", also I've conflictingly heard it's supposed to be "eMb" (which it clearly isn't) for "Expos de Montreal Baseball" or something. I don't know. I see how it's supposed to be an M, but it just so clearly looks like "elb" which really makes zero sense.

Seconded. When I was a kid back in the 70s, it always looked like elb to me.

What? If something is rated a "3" on a scale from 1-10, but it deserves a rating of 1 or 2, then, by definition, it is overrated.. It doesn't have to be rated extremely high to be overrated..

"Overrated" suggests that is highly rated. Is that really the case?

I enjoy the logo almost solely from a nostalgia perspective, and the fact that it's multicolored and unique/retro looking. But the design really is not great, and if it were a new logo it would be widely hated.

It's always looked like "elb" to me, which I've heard explained as "Expos le baseball", also I've conflictingly heard it's supposed to be "eMb" (which it clearly isn't) for "Expos de Montreal Baseball" or something. I don't know. I see how it's supposed to be an M, but it just so clearly looks like "elb" which really makes zero sense.

Seconded. When I was a kid back in the 70s, it always looked like elb to me.

What? If something is rated a "3" on a scale from 1-10, but it deserves a rating of 1 or 2, then, by definition, it is overrated.. It doesn't have to be rated extremely high to be overrated..

Good point. It's like a student passing with a D when he should have been given an F.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

God no, Montreal is a great baseball town with tons of relevant history. Montreal Royals? Jackie Robinson?

They were blindsided by two factors: A woefully hideous stadium that was forced on them by the boondoggle OIympics (that took 40 years to pay off), and a lecherous ownership under Loria that did absolutely everything to ruin that team in that town to facilitate a move. How do you pull a local tv and RADIO deal and expect fans to show up? After brutally cost-cutting everything in existence? Notes were taken while watching "Major League" and ownership followed suit to the hilt.

The DC franchise is nice, I guess. It's there. Not much to get worked up about, logo or look wise. But Montreal was and is the much cooler incarnation.

Yeah, Montreal was a great location. I know there have been concerns about the declining Anglophone population, but I'd still like them to have another shot.

Even with Loria's bad management, they could have been saved had Labatt Park been financed:

LaBatt_PRAA_2.jpg

There's also video of the 1997 press conference (in French) announcing their intention to seek a new stadium.

The Montreal ELB!

That's what I thought it was when I was younger. It simply says elb.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

MontrealMwhite.jpg

This reminds me of a lowercase "db"... partly because those are my initials but thats what I see when its one solid color.

I see both the "ELB" and "M". I always thought it was both.

That I can understand, even if I myself never saw a lowercase "l". It is possible to see all kinds of things inside the M in this tradition-busting logo. But to not see the M, which is the overall shape of the whole thing, is downright bizarre. There's a lot of crazy talk in here on this!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I see both the "ELB" and "M". I always thought it was both.

That I can understand, even if I myself never saw a lowercase "l". It is possible to see all kinds of things inside the M in this tradition-busting logo. But to not see the M, which is the overall shape of the whole thing, is downright bizarre. There's a lot of crazy talk in here on this!

Then call me crazy, because I never saw the M.

Archived