USFL Redesign: Michigan Panthers and Expansion Talk (6/8)

razr32154

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore- LOOKS FANTASTIC. I really like that logo you made & in fact could see it be reused/recoloured for a Chargers concept with the (To me) "Bolt-like" mane. The jerseys sleek, but I do kind of want to see either a white pant or wine pant option.

New Jersey- The update doesn't look bad, but it feels too much. The stars make the look busy to me as they're kinda tiny.... albeit I think that could be solved with either sublimated stars or by making the stripes slightly thicker, thus making the stars bigger.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

@jaha32 Thanks for pointing out the spacing on the BIRMINGHAM, the kerning can definitely be improved now that I look at it again. 

@Dan O'Mac I'm still unsure of the color scheme as well – I think this logo could work in the original color scheme as well. 

@KittSmith_95 the business is what I was worried about. I'll have to revisit this on the next update. 

@ChicagoOakland I'm glad you like it. I felt the pentagon was a better choice than a typical shield. 

I'm gonna let the New Jersey updates sit a little longer. The next team should be up soon. 

Team #4: Pittsburgh Maulers 

This logo was originally apart of a New York Giants rebrand that I submitted into a contest here on the boards maybe four or five years ago. When I had the idea to rebrand the USFL, I figured an update to this logo would serve well as the logo for the Pittsburgh Maulers. It has been simplified to where it is today. The helmet is purple and features the primary logo on both sides. The home jersey is purple with custom orange numerals outlined in grey. Sleeve striping pattern is similar to the Minnesota Vikings. The road jersey is white with custom purple numerals outlined in orange. It also has purple sleeve caps. The home jersey has grey pants; the road jersey has purple pants. Both follow the same striping pattern found on the sleeves. I feel maybe this logo could be worked on a little more – especially the fingers and the right arm of the logo, but I'm interested in what others have to say. 

Maulers%20Logo-01.png

Home Uniform 

Maulers%20Home%20Uniform-01.png

Road Uniform 

Maulers%20Road.png

Really nice job on the Maulers! I love the color scheme and the striping. My one critique would be that you can't see the logo on the helmet that well. New Jersey looks fantastic as well and your use of the pentagon was a stroke of genius. The league is shaping out well, so congrats for your superb work!

8 minutes ago, Megildur said:

Really nice job on the Maulers! I love the color scheme and the striping. My one critique would be that you can't see the logo on the helmet that well. New Jersey looks fantastic as well and your use of the pentagon was a stroke of genius. The league is shaping out well, so congrats for your superb work!

Do you think a grey helmet would be better? 

I noticed you said you made a custom number font for your Mailers concept so I decided to take a look. I'm hoping this is pure coincidence. For one, yours is computerized and mine is handrawn, but it looks eerily similar to my font (specifically my 5) I used for my concept from a few weeks ago.

I apologize if it's against the rules to post this, but I'd like to get things cleared up. Hell, it might be me over thinking.

20160113_212343.png_zpskq0m3z1j.jpeg

Really great stuff. 

Like it was mentioned in an earlier post, the helmet logo gets lost on the Maulers. Too much purple on purple. I do like the orange purple combination has a nice Frankfurt Galaxy (WLAF) feel to it.

The generals update is a nice improvement. Just a quick question, why didn't you use the 5 star logo on the shoulders like it would be on an actual military uniform? No big deal just curios. 

10 hours ago, razr32154 said:

Team #4: Pittsburgh Maulers 

This logo was originally apart of a New York Giants rebrand that I submitted into a contest here on the boards maybe four or five years ago. When I had the idea to rebrand the USFL, I figured an update to this logo would serve well as the logo for the Pittsburgh Maulers. It has been simplified to where it is today. The helmet is purple and features the primary logo on both sides. The home jersey is purple with custom orange numerals outlined in grey. Sleeve striping pattern is similar to the Minnesota Vikings. The road jersey is white with custom purple numerals outlined in orange. It also has purple sleeve caps. The home jersey has grey pants; the road jersey has purple pants. Both follow the same striping pattern found on the sleeves. I feel maybe this logo could be worked on a little more – especially the fingers and the right arm of the logo, but I'm interested in what others have to say. 

Maulers%20Logo-01.png

Home Uniform 

Maulers%20Home%20Uniform-01.png

Road Uniform 

Maulers%20Road.png

Very good update, although I would change the numbers on the home jersey to white.

Nice new logo. The one they actually had reminds me of the Doozers from Fraggle Rock for some reason.

Hey all, really appreciate the C&C. To answer some C&C specifically: 

@KentuckyX I really didn't think to put the 5 star logo on the shoulders. I'll try that out when I go back and update the Generals again. 

@MJWalker45 I'll explore white behind the mauler on a purple helmet – I'm thinking that the helmet will probably change to grey to make the logo more visible. 

@Spanna65 I haven't gotten to it yet, but I will during the expansion phases of this thread. I've just started mapping out the path beyond the 16 teams like I mentioned in the first post. Once I get to the first phase of expansion, I'll most likely work on a new logo. I'm hearing there may be a new uniform supplier vying for the USFL contract as well. 

@KittSmith_95 I'm going to try a grey helmet. I think that will solve visibility issues. 

@Megildur I'll check out some helmet striping options on a grey helmet. My idea is to likely have a helmet akin to the Patriots – just a plain silver/grey shell. 

@neo_prankster I think white numerals on the could work, but I wonder if they'll feel out of place since there's little to no white in the uniforms elsewhere. 

The next team is done, they will likely be up sometime today. If not, they will be up for sure tomorrow, along with the Pittsburgh Updates.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm a little late, but I finally found some time to post the next team. The Maulers update will come soon.  

Team #5: Boston Breakers 

As you see, the primary logo is 2 semi-interlocking Bs with waves running through both letters. Although the breakers had a great helmet, I wanted to deviate from the original logo and move towards a type-based logo, akin to Tulane's T. Onto the uniforms. The helmet, as you see, is primary white with the type logo on each side. It also features a light blue-to-white gradient in a wave pattern at the base of the helmet. The home uniform is navy, with white lettering outlined in light blue. The road uniform is white, with light blue lettering outlined in navy. Home pants are white, with a navy/light blue pant stripe. Road pants are navy with a light blue/white pant stripe.  Sleeve caps employ a navy to light blue gradient on both uniforms. My main concern/gripe with this set is that I may have overdone it with the gradient helmet and sleeve caps. Let me know what you guys think. 

Boston%20Breakers-01.png

Home

Breakers%20home.png

Road 

Breakers%20Road.png

Archived