Most popular Teams in your City.

LA_Angels

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

btw, Toronto does not have a true love affair with the Buffalo Bills.  We love the NFL, & maybe the Bills have the greatest % of supporters, yet in no way shape or form is Toronto a Bills town.

Having the greatest % of supporters, to most people, would make Toronto a Bills town.

If it took a majority, then most NFL cities don't have a 'love affair' with their team as over half the population of the urban area doesn't care one way or another about the team.

Right now in Tampa Bay and for the past few years, pro sports order is as follows:

- Lightning.  Playoffs aside, they are truly a exceptionally run organization top down.

- Buccaneers.  After many rough years, the past few years have had some bright spots.  The addition of Winston and the offense with a new coach has sparked interest.

- Rays.  After a peak of interest in 2008-12, they have slumped.  The location of their venue and value spending along with losses of GM Friedman and manager Maddon have put them in the backseat.  2016 Rays are showing life as an offense, so hopefully soon they'll start clicking.

Despite the local media's attempt to make the Cowboys the most popular major league team, the Capital District is a split between the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Bills, and Jets.  The Browns and Packers are more popular than the 'Boiz.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Right now in Tampa Bay and for the past few years, pro sports order is as follows:

- Lightning.  Playoffs aside, they are truly a exceptionally run organization top down.

- Buccaneers.  After many rough years, the past few years have had some bright spots.  The addition of Winston and the offense with a new coach has sparked interest.

- Rays.  After a peak of interest in 2008-12, they have slumped.  The location of their venue and value spending along with losses of GM Friedman and manager Maddon have put them in the backseat.  2016 Rays are showing life as an offense, so hopefully soon they'll start clicking.

I know you said "pro sports," but when my family lived in Tampa in the early 2000s, the Gators and Seminoles easily dwarfed everything else. The Bucs were, at best, tied with the schools at the time. USF was probably ahead of the Rays then too, though I suspect that's probably changed by now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My impression of my hometown at the Jersey Shore, where the NYC/PHL markets overlap

1. Yankees

2. Giants

3. Eagles

4. Phillies/Mets (depending on which team is better)

5. Mets/Phllies

6. Jets

7. Devils

8. Rangers

9. Flyers

10. Steelers

11. Knicks

12. Nets

I don't know if I have ever met a Sixers or Islanders fan from my hometown.

For South Bend, IN, it's somewhat difficult to gauge since so much of the sport scene revolves around Notre Dame.  For the pro teams, I would say...

1. Cubs

2. Bears

3. Blackhawks

4. White Sox

5. Bulls

6. Colts

7. Pacers

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

On May 8, 2016 at 4:19 PM, pcgd said:

Indianapolis:

1) Colts

2) Pacers

3) IU basketball

4)High School Basketball

5) Butler Basketball

5) Notre Dame Football

6) Reds Baseball

7) Indy Indians baseball

8) Cubs Baseball

9) High School Football

10) Indy Eleven

11) Purdue Basketball/Football

Honestly after the top 4 the rest are interchangable except Purdue seems like an after thought here despite the huge alumni base. 

Holy hell!  It's May and I forgot about IndyCar!  It's the only place in the world that gives a :censored: about non Indy 500 races.

Put it tied with Butler Basketball.

On May 11, 2016 at 4:19 AM, TheGrimReaper said:

including the angels but not the ducks is kind of silly.

1. Lakers

2. Dodgers

3. USC Football

4. Angels

5. Kings

6. Clippers

7. UCLA football

8. Ducks

9. Galaxy

Rams TBD

I'd say this is about right for the whole of LA. Rams are the real wildcard here because there is support, but there's just no way to know how popular they'll actually be until they start playing. I'll also again point out that in my 26 years I have yet to actually meet a Clippers fan in the wild. So I have no idea where to put them on the list.

If we narrow it down to Orange County, again probably the same but with the Angels and Ducks being a bit higher, USC football is pretty big down here, and again aforementioned lack of Clippers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Buffalo(note, i am excluding college teams from this conversation)

Bills

Sabres

Bandits

F.C. Buffalo

Bisons

I place F.C. Buffalo above the Bisons based off of relative attendance at both, and the believe that if both were at the major league level, F.C. Buffalo would outdraw the Bisons.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

For Chicago:

1. Bears

2. Cubs

3a. Blackhawks

3b. Bulls

4. Notre Dame Football

5. White Sox

That's the overall list if all the teams were having the same type of season. I would swap the Blackhawks and Bulls cause I don't remember the Bulls in the 90s much but imagine their hype was bigger than the Blackhawks last three Cups.

The Bears are the one team that unites the whole city. As popular as the Cubs are, it's the one thing that unites the North and South Side. But, if the Cubs won a World Series, they'd be catapaulted to first. The city would dye the river red, the buildings would be painted blue. It would be so over the top.

10 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Buffalo(note, i am excluding college teams from this conversation)

Bills

Sabres

Bandits

F.C. Buffalo

Bisons

I place F.C. Buffalo above the Bisons based off of relative attendance at both, and the believe that if both were at the major league level, F.C. Buffalo would outdraw the Bisons.

I dunno... maybe 1K-1,500 is good for the NPSL, but it's still just 1,500. I'd still have to give the edge to the Bisons, even though they have been sliding... they still draw over 7,000 per game and make their mark in the community with the Friday Night Bashes and the Independence Eve fireworks.

35 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I dunno... maybe 1K-1,500 is good for the NPSL, but it's still just 1,500. I'd still have to give the edge to the Bisons, even though they have been sliding... they still draw over 7,000 per game and make their mark in the community with the Friday Night Bashes and the Independence Eve fireworks.

I'll be honest, i kept going back and forth on that order. Might also be the people we know, and also the fact that baseball is more popular in general. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I live around Louisville.

1.  Louisville Men's Basketball (Our unofficial "NBA team")
  2. Kentucky Basketball (There are tons of Kentucky fans in Louisville)
  3. Louisville Football
  4. Louisville Bats (Minor League Baseball team)
  5. IU Basketball (anywhere north of Louisville)
  6. Indianapolis Colts
  7. Louisville City FC (Our new soccer team)
  8. Cincinnati Reds
  9. Indiana Pacers
  10. St. Louis Cardinals

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

7 hours ago, BayouJim said:

For Chicago:

1. Bears

2. Cubs

3a. Blackhawks

3b. Bulls

4. Notre Dame Football

5. White Sox

I agree with your post as a fellow Chicagoan myself. Kinda hard to put the Illinois Football on that top-5 list (imo I think NIU football is slightly popular than Illinois football due to the issues they got there, hopefully Lovie Smith can change that)

7 hours ago, BayouJim said:

That's the overall list if all the teams were having the same type of season. I would swap the Blackhawks and Bulls cause I don't remember the Bulls in the 90s much but imagine their hype was bigger than the Blackhawks last three Cups.

I have no ties to the city of Chicago, but I feel confident in saying the Bulls were the number 1 team in the city during the nineties. Anybody from Chi-town here that can enlighten us all on the Windy City sports totem poll in the nineties?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Just now, 4_tattoos said:

I have no ties to the city of Chicago, but I feel confident in saying the Bulls were the number 1 team in the city during the nineties. Anybody from Chi-town here that can confirm or deny?

You're right, the Bulls was the most popular team in the 90s.

Wisconsin:

1. Green Bay Packers (Anyone who debates that obviously isn't from here.)

2. UW Badgers.

3. Milwaukee Brewers

4. All the other NFC North teams (It depends on what part of the state you're from.)

5. Marquette Golden Eagles.

6. Milwaukee Bucks 

7. Chicago Blackhawks

8. Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

9. Brew City Bruisers (Roller Derby)

10. UW-Whitewater (Mainly their football team)

Archived