2016 College Football Coaching Changes Thread ...

dfwabel

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

While I agree Schiano is a better college HC than a pro HC, he burned a lot of fans in the Tampa area with his years with the Buccaneers and attempting to get those very same people to support him as a Bulls HC may be a tough sell up front.

Aren't three of Schiano's children still at Berkeley Prep along with Koetter's son?

I agree, he's a real tough sell and the AD isn't from a "football"school.  He came from UCLA and didn't hire Taggart. He was just hired as USF settled on Steve Masiello, who it was later disclosed he never completed his degree, as basketball coach then messed around trying to get Dave Rice fron UNLV.

They need a retread, not a young coach.

They need Les Miles.

25 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Charlie Strong to be in Tampa today to visit with USF admin.  Talk also says former USF coach Taggart is trying to also court Strong as the Oregon DC.

http://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/12/9/13898462/report-charlie-strong-meeting-with-usf-in-tampa-south-florida-willie-taggart-oregon-josh-newberg

That would be a great pull for USF. Strong should still be considered for a HC please position. He got a raw deal in Austin.

28 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

That would be a great pull for USF. Strong should still be considered for a HC please position. He got a raw deal in Austin.

Totally agree, he never got a fair shake at Texas and USF is poised for another good season in 2017

45 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

In retrospect, I'm not sure that Charlie Strong's firing was that much of a raw deal for two simple reasons.

1- In his first season there, nine scholarship players left the program in addition to those whose eligibility expired.  In talking about those who left, Strong took the passive-aggressive approach when talking to he media with the, "I didn't kick them off the team...they kicked themselves off" line. He wanted "his guys", thus 29 players left in his three seasons: 12 transfers, 10 dismissals, and 7 who stopped playing due to injuries and he STILL couldn't win.

2- Strong never had conviction in how he wanted to play.  He started off pro-style then moved to a spread offense with a package for Swoopes, then no package for Swoopes. 

His nearly 20 staff changes in three season, smells of disarray. 

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

In retrospect, I'm not sure that Charlie Strong's firing was that much of a raw deal for two simple reasons.

1- In his first season there, nine scholarship players left the program in addition to those whose eligibility expired.  In talking about those who left, Strong took the passive-aggressive approach when talking to he media with the, "I didn't kick them off the team...they kicked themselves off" line. He wanted "his guys", thus 29 players left in his three seasons: 12 transfers, 10 dismissals, and 7 who stopped playing due to injuries and he STILL couldn't win.

2- Strong never had conviction in how he wanted to play.  He started off pro-style then moved to a spread offense with a package for Swoopes, then no package for Swoopes. 

His nearly 20 staff changes in three season, smells of disarray. 

To be fair, most of those kidsthat cut themselves were bad eggs who weren't putting in the work because they were starters. A couple had assault charges as well. As far as changing schemes, I agree. But when one doesn't work, sticking with it isn't the smartest either. Ultimately, Texas couldn't finish off the games they were supposed to so it's not a surprise to see him fired. I think he'd be better off as a coordinator,  possibly at Ohio State if Schiano and Fickell both leave.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Wow the Stae of Florida has a solid crew of D1 football coaches:

FSU = Jimbo Fisher

UF = Jim McElwain

UCF = Scott Frost

USF=  Charlie Strong

FAU = Lane Kiffin

MIA = Mark Richt

FIU = Butch Davis

There's a bunch of known names, but I dunno if they're "solid".

Ok, Fisher's got a natty.  Richt is steady.  Davis is ok.  McElwain is lucky he coaches in the worst division in the Power 5.  Strong couldn't manage one winning season in three tries at Texas, where recruiting is easy.  Kiffin's been pretty lousy as a head coach everywhere (when Al Davis says you're a fake, you may want to listen).  And Frost is known more for the Flea Kicker than his coaching prowess.

On 12/14/2016 at 5:18 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

There's a bunch of known names, but I dunno if they're "solid".

Ok, Fisher's got a natty.  Richt is steady.  Davis is ok.  McElwain is lucky he coaches in the worst division in the Power 5.  Strong couldn't manage one winning season in three tries at Texas, where recruiting is easy.  Kiffin's been pretty lousy as a head coach everywhere (when Al Davis says you're a fake, you may want to listen).  And Frost is known more for the Flea Kicker than his coaching prowess.

I'd agree the jury is still out on McElwain, but while he's lucky he coaches in the SEC East, he also walked into a situation where he's had a very inexperienced offensive line -- I think the only player with any game experience heading into last year was a Fordham grad transfer -- and significant QB issues, particularly once Grier was suspended.  He certainly inherited a great defensive unit but it was ravaged by injuries this year.  I'd say based strictly on the talent UF fielded, they probably shouldn't have even won that weak-ass division in either year, so he gets credit for that in my book.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

UConn fires Bib Diaco, but it is effective on January 2.

Here's where it gets shady. Diaco signed a two year extension in May. By waiting until 2017, the buyout goes down by $1.6M.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-diaco-contract-extension-uconn-0517-20160516-story.html

Diaco, 43, who acknowledged after the season that other FBS programs had shown interest in him, will earn raises on his overall salary (base pay of $400,000 each year, plus public appearance compensation).

He will earn $1.7 million in 2016 (up from $1.6 million on the old contract), $1.8 million in 2017 (up from $1.7 million) and $1.9 million in 2018 (up from $1.7 million). Diaco will make $2 million in 2019 and $2.1 million in 2020.

Diaco's buyout amounts, what he would pay UConn should he accept another coaching position at a Division I program, have been lowered.

The contract expires Jan. 14, 2021. Should UConn chose to terminate the agreement for any reason other than "just cause," the university would pay Diaco a buyout — $5 million if that termination took place in 2016, $3.4 million in 2017, $1.7 million in 2018, and $1 million in either 2019 or 2020.

Archived