TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

I don’t think it’s a move to make WS the new standard but rather the design choice for 2017. I’m willing to bet we’ll see World Series on the patch again next year. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You can't make an acronym with just two letters. That's just stupid. And yes I'm aware Burger King tries to do it. Still stupid. Even more stupid in sports especially for an event that's gone over a hundred years without being forced into being an acronym. 

InterContinental Championship

United Kingdom

United States

Orange County

District of Columbia

Los Angeles

New York

TuBerculosis

Confidential Informant

Lol ^ well you can absolutely do abbreviations with 2 letters as seen above. But those are all one syllable letters. WS does not work because W is 3 syllables. Saying "World Series" is shorter than saying "W.S." It would never catch on.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You can't make an acronym with just two letters. That's just stupid. And yes I'm aware Burger King tries to do it. Still stupid. Even more stupid in sports especially for an event that's gone over a hundred years without being forced into being an acronym. 

Ummm, you do realize that the Dodgers are from a city that's commonly referred to as LA, right?

Considering that, the World Series patch having 'WS' on it rather than the full 'World Series' is oddly fitting. 

20 hours ago, Quillz said:

Yeah, not a huge fan. But I guess they want "WS" to become as recognizable as "LCS" or "LDS." Not a fan of the recent patches in terms of material, either. They're basically just rubberized plastic to an extent. I liked it when they were actually sewn onto the jerseys.

Right, this from 2015 is not so bad, i believe it´s called chromaflex.

ff_2318866_full.jpg&w=340

It has a metallic look to it

But this year i think it´s called emboss tech, and like the post season patches, it looks like cheap rubber! 

Feels like cheap rubber, too. I dunno, there's just something about embroidered patches that I like. These "emboss tech" patches are used on NFL sideline cap logos and shields, which is fine, because those have more of a "fashion" feel to them.

I see "WS" an I automatically think White Sox. Even for the college world series (CWS) I see the abbreviation and think "Chicago White Sox" before context gives it away.