Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RyanMcD29

2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread: This is March.

205 posts in this topic

Why can't Baylor just wear these colors

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to make my prediction now and say that the future champion this season is going to be a blue and white team... seems like a safe bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 10:58 PM, dfwabel said:

Virginia games are unwatchable.

it's MIA 19 and UVA 20 at the half tonight.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

it's MIA 19 and UVA 20 at the half tonight.  

 

Ended 54-48 with an overtime thrown in. Torture, torture, torture. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay, Gonzaga lost!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rickyISking said:

Yay, Gonzaga lost!

 

YES! YES! YES! :censored: YOU, YOU OVERRATED JACK OFFS!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch until the end.  I'll have this even as an HM in my top 10 plays of 2017.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northwestern pretty much cemented their 1st ever trip to the big dance:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Northwestern play was awesome...I saw it live and when the ball was in the air I thought "that's going out of bounds and now Michigan gets it in their offensive zone."  It was a gutsy call and a better pass than Grant Hill's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handicapping the state's schools and their chances of reaching the tournament:

 

Georgia - What they have going for them is a strong schedule and will finish no worse than .500 in conference play.  The negatives are that they haven't really beaten an opponent of real quality (but a lot of close losses!), their co-best player is likely done for the year with a knee injury, and the SEC isn't a good basketball league.  To have a real chance, they need to win at Arkansas and probably make it to Saturday in the conference tournament and have their Saturday game be close (if not win).  The ESPN bracket guy had UGA in his "First Four Out" this week, so they're closer than I thought they should be.  I once saw a Georgia team that had a record of like 16-14 get an at-large berth, so weirder things have happened.

 

Georgia Tech - Probably the state's overall best chance for landing a tournament bid.  They've beaten some good, highly-ranked teams in the ACC (North Carolina, Florida State, Notre Dame) and will finish either 8-10 or .500 in conference play in the country's best conference.  But they've also laid some eggs, too.  They probably need to beat Syracuse this weekend, then win a game or two in the conference tournament.

 

GA State/GA Southern - In the one-bid Fun Belt, these two have been in the top four of the conference all season.  State probably has the better chance, but either will have to win the conference tournament.  Definitely the best chance for any state school to win their conference championship.

 

Mercer/Kennesaw State/Savannah State - Obviously win the tournament and they're in, and haven't heard much of anything of these teams, so they're longshots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Handicapping the state's schools and their chances of reaching the tournament:

 

Georgia - What they have going for them is a strong schedule and will finish no worse than .500 in conference play.  The negatives are that they haven't really beaten an opponent of real quality (but a lot of close losses!), their co-best player is likely done for the year with a knee injury, and the SEC isn't a good basketball league.  To have a real chance, they need to win at Arkansas and probably make it to Saturday in the conference tournament and have their Saturday game be close (if not win).  The ESPN bracket guy had UGA in his "First Four Out" this week, so they're closer than I thought they should be.  I once saw a Georgia team that had a record of like 16-14 get an at-large berth, so weirder things have happened.

 

Georgia Tech - Probably the state's overall best chance for landing a tournament bid.  They've beaten some good, highly-ranked teams in the ACC (North Carolina, Florida State, Notre Dame) and will finish either 8-10 or .500 in conference play in the country's best conference.  But they've also laid some eggs, too.  They probably need to beat Syracuse this weekend, then win a game or two in the conference tournament.

 

GA State/GA Southern - In the one-bid Fun Belt, these two have been in the top four of the conference all season.  State probably has the better chance, but either will have to win the conference tournament.  Definitely the best chance for any state school to win their conference championship.

 

Mercer/Kennesaw State/Savannah State - Obviously win the tournament and they're in, and haven't heard much of anything of these teams, so they're longshots.

UGA is 54 in RPI, 53 in KenPom, their record is 18-12 (9-8 SEC). They have the best shot of the schools you mentioned to get an at-large.

Georgia Tech is 91 in RPI, 76 at KenPom, their record is 17-13 (8-9 ACC). It'll be tough for them.

Georgia State is 121 in RPI, 120 at KenPom, their record is 18-11 (11-6 SBC). They're not likely getting in.

Georgia Southern is 115 in RPI, 158 at KenPom, their record is 18-12 (11-6 SBC). Same as GA. State.

Kennesaw State is 14-17 (7-7 A-Sun). Not happening.

Mercer is 15-16 (9-9 SoCon). Not happening.

Savannah State is 12-16 (9-6 MEAC). Not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Kennesaw State is playing Florida Gulf Coast in the A-Sun semis tonight, so they have a chance... but it requires winning at Dunk City and then winning at either North Florida or Lipscomb to get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's time! The first automatic bid on the line tonight...

 

Ohio Valley - Nashville, TN

 

#4 Jacksonville State Gamecocks vs. #2 UT-Martin Skyhawks

 

Records

JSU: 19-14 (9-7)

UTM: 21-11 (10-6)

 

In the OVC, the division champs are rewarded with the top 2 seeds, something that UT-Martin earned despite a 10-6 record in conference play. They only had one game to play, a hard fought win against stubborn Murray State to get here. Jacksonville State, on the other hand, is confident... and who wouldn't be after stunning top seed and conference bully Belmont? Now, the Gamecocks have a chance to take down the other division champ... can they succeed or is it time for the Skyhawks to fly high?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's time! The first automatic bid on the line tonight...

 

Ohio Valley - Nashville, TN

 

#4 Jacksonville State Gamecocks vs. #2 UT-Martin Skyhawks

 

Records

JSU: 19-14 (9-7)

UTM: 21-11 (10-6)

 

In the OVC, the division champs are rewarded with the top 2 seeds, something that UT-Martin earned despite a 10-6 record in conference play. They only had one game to play, a hard fought win against stubborn Murray State to get here. Jacksonville State, on the other hand, is confident... and who wouldn't be after stunning top seed and conference bully Belmont? Now, the Gamecocks have a chance to take down the other division champ... can they succeed or is it time for the Skyhawks to fly high?

What makes it even more interesting is, neither school has ever been to the Big Dance before...so it's the most important game in school history for both teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Jacksonville State as they earn the first of 32 automatic bids. Three more are up for grabs tomorrow...

 

Big South

 

#7 Campbell Fighting Camels at #1 Winthrop Eagles

 

Records:

CAMP: 17-16 (7-11)

WIN: 25-6 (15-3)

 

It's becoming old hat for Winthrop being in the Big South final, but they must keep their guard up this time after surviving a massive scare from Gardner-Webb in the semifinals. Now, they face a red hot Campbell team that has rode it's horse, Chris Clemons, to this point. His 51 point performance against UNC-Asheville set a record. Can he carry the Camels over the proverbial hump or does Winthrop continue is reign as kings?

 

Missouri Valley - St. Louis, MO

 

#2 Wichita State Shockers vs. #1 Illinois State Redbirds

 

Records:

WICH: 29-4 (17-1)

IL ST: 27-5 (17-1)

 

This is the rubber match between the MVC's best as these two have fought back and forth all season long. The Redbirds won on their home court in the first go around, only to see Wichita State crack them upside the head with a 41 point beating. The Redbirds took the top seed thanks to the RPI, but in this rubber match.. that doesn't matter. It's about which team wants it more... whoever wins will go on. As for the loser? A week of praying and hoping their bubble doesn't burst

 

Atlantic Sun

 

#3 North Florida Ospreys at #1 Florida Gulf Coast Eagles

 

Records:

UNF: 15-18 (6-8)

FGCU: 25-7 (12-2)

 

It's going to be the 6th year in a row the either North Florida or Florida Gulf Coast has been in the title game, which is a real testament to how good these programs are. FGCU has made it twice, including last season where they won in the First Four. North Florida was there two years ago. Do we see the return of Dunk City or do the Ospreys spring the trap in Fort Myers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A certain Winthrop fan on here is happy I bet. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, TVIXX said:

Why can't Baylor just wear these colors

image.jpg

 

Or these.

 

ovj.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ninersdd said:

A certain Winthrop fan on here is happy I bet. 

 

I graduated 8 years ago. I rushed the court. I'm not ashamed.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0