Sports Center

BBTV

I saw a bunch of (lame) commercials for SC6 and was curious so I turned it on for the first time today.

OMFG it sucks.

1.  Jemele Hill can't talk. I've never heard her voice before so I'm not sure if maybe she's just sick now, but it sounds like she's in pain when she speaks.  Her voice is painful for me to listen to.

2.  Michael Smith has as much personality as a paper bag.  OK, he wears sneakers with suits, but that doesn't mean that he has personality.  I've only watched this show for around 20 minutes, but it's incredibly boring.

I read that they're appealing to millennials in a world where everyone has already seen the highlights.  I'm not sure how this accomplishes anything other than putting people to sleep.  

FWIW, local Comcast SportsNet has all but dropped it's Sports Centerish show, also "because milleneals" and has gone with more couch-discussion type shows, which again I find incredibly boring.  Maybe I'm not millenial (technically I'm a couple years too old) so I don't get it, or maybe it's because I don't watch much sports these days so I don't know what they're talking about (though I do keep up with the local stuff), but to me this seems like a really crappy trend in sports programming.

Discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are spot on on jemele, she has no personality has that same voice all the time. She just sounds so board all the time she just sucks the energy out of everything. Michael smith can be good in doses and I guess feeds off of other peoples energys, so Jim with Jemele is just a disaster. They were ok on "him and hers" but to make a new Sports Center for them at 6 is just bound to fail. By that time we have seen all the high lights and that is why shows like PTI, and around the horn has dominated those times because they discuss more.

The show has a great nickname.

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually come on at 6:00. This is ESPN trying to normalize east coast bias by naming a show after a specific timeslot and insisting we all refer to it as such. I won't stand for it.

I got tired of SportsCenter being another hour of NFL discussion. When NASCAR was on ESPN it barely got any coverage except for one or two races per year. Some of my favorite personalities never showed up anymore and eventually I grew tired of watching it.

I remember in middle school when I would get dropped off at my Grandma's every morning before the bus came, and I would watch the re-airings of the SportsCenter from Los Angeles broadcasts. Stan Verrett and Neil Everett were my favorites. They had such a great chemistry together.

I googled a list of SC anchors and saw their ages... Holy crap, Linda Cohn is 57... John Anderson 52... Hannah Storm 54... Linda Cohn 57???? Props to ESPN's makeup crew for making these people look 15-20 years younger.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

44 minutes ago, The Six said:

The show has a great nickname.

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually come on at 6:00. This is ESPN trying to normalize east coast bias by naming a show after a specific timeslot and insisting we all refer to it as such. I won't stand for it.

Have you considered suing the Mothership for stealing your username for their show?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Michael Smith and Jemele Hill were immensely better as the hosts of "Numbers Never Lie". I really thought that show could have been great. Then came the ill-fated rebrand into "His and Hers".

I think it would be best for ESPN to split Smith and Hill up for a while. I believe Smith could be great solo late night Sportscenter host or even replace Rachel Nichols on "The Jump". I can't tell if that show is terrible or just her. 

Hill on the other hand, I feel as though she can't succeed without piggybacking someone else wherever she goes.

I also just realized Smith and Hill were used as the NBA Celebrity All-Star Game coaches as a ploy to promote SC6. Not a bad idea, but not even close to a good idea.

I also agree with the majority that Sportscenter has gradually become a drag on ESPN. I miss the old hosts. It was all good until the studio update a couple years ago. Then everyone got weird and were forced to be "hip".

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

II googled a list of SC anchors and saw their ages... Holy crap, Linda Cohn is 57... John Anderson 52... Hannah Storm 54... Linda Cohn 57???? Props to ESPN's makeup crew for making these people look 15-20 years younger.

Well a ton of makeup and breast enhancement will make a woman look younger.......

SportsCenter's favorite topics...

• LeBron James
  • SEC Football
  • Alabama Crimson Tide (FBS)
  • North Carolina Tar Heels (NCAAB)
  • Duke Blue Devils (NCAAB)
  • Left-sided politics
  • New York Yankees
  • Boston Red Sox
  • NFL
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New England Patriots
  • Peyton Manning (formerly)
  • Golden State Warriors
  • Los Angeles Lakers
  • New York Knicks
  • Discussing little-to-none of the NHL

Well remember, 95% of the time, sports isn't real news.  It's just a TV show.

In fact, it makes me laugh that sports reporters / anchors wear suits and pretend like they're covering things that really matter, as if Kobe and Shaq not getting along is like the Cuban missile crisis.

ANyway, I watched some clips of this Janele Hill on line, and OMG how can anyone put her in a role where she has to talk?  Seriously - isn't having a pleasant voice kind of a requirement for an anchor job?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I haven't watched SportsCenter in about 10 years. ESPN is just awful. For example, I accidentally watched about 30 seconds of First Take. The topic was "is the Davis/Cousins combo the best of all-time?" They hadn't played a second together yet. The only show that I really watch on ESPN is College GameDay. Even that has gotten progressively worse.

8 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

SportsCenter's favorite topics...

• LeBron James
  • SEC Football
  • Alabama Crimson Tide (FBS)
  • North Carolina Tar Heels (NCAAB)
  • Duke Blue Devils (NCAAB)
  • Left-sided politics
  • New York Yankees
  • Boston Red Sox
  • NFL
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New England Patriots
  • Peyton Manning (formerly)
  • Golden State Warriors
  • Los Angeles Lakers
  • New York Knicks
  • Discussing little-to-none of the NHL

I don't know about that... Linda Cohn usually has an orgasm talking about hockey during her segment. If I'm not mistaken, Barry Melrose gets his own segment too. Plus the network tends to have a hard on for the Penguins. They had a joy celebrating Sydney Crosby's 1000th career point yet completely ignored Nicklas Backstrom reaching 700 career points on the same night.

In fairness, even close observers of hockey tend to ignore Backstrom. He leads his draft class (Kessel, Toews, Giroux, inter al.) in points, and soundly at that, but gets less attention than Ovechkin for obvious reasons and less than Toews for other obvious reasons. Also, 700 has never been a milestone like 1,000. But hey, still a Hall of Famer, I'm pretty sure. And at least he has his stupid Geico ads.

I don't think there's any reason to watch SportsCenter unless you're in a hotel bar/lobby/breakfast lounge and need a television screen to glance at while someone is boring you. Like Vet said with CSN Philly, the Chicago one discontinued its "Sportsnet Central" (totally NOT SportsCenter!) show in favor of Something Millennials Would Like, which I've also never watched. But hey, thanks for the memories; who among us didn't stay home from school and watch the morning SportsCenter over and over?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

SportsCenter used to be one of those "comfort" shows I'd watch before bed or in the morning.  A forgettable program that would sometimes recap interesting stuff but always ultimately over-cover the big names teams to the point of the viewing (me) taking great satisfaction in turning the television off.  

Nowadays I have no idea how cable companies continue to have viewers at all beyond keeping the Big Four under lock and key.  Once the next couple generations of people die off and the generation raised on Netflix and streaming media enter their 30s, this will be all be discussing antiquity.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Gonna be funny when radio, which has been about to go down for the count since the day it was born, still manages to outlast back-of-beyond cable outposts like The Slowly Rotating Zirconium Jewelry Channel 2.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Gonna be funny when radio, which has been about to go down for the count since the day it was born, still manages to outlast back-of-beyond cable outposts like The Slowly Rotating Zirconium Jewelry Channel 2.

For as much as I bitch about advertising on television, I somehow can passively ignore most radio ads, maybe because I value that medium infinitely more.  I wonder if this is typical.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

DO NOT IGNORE RADIO ADS BUY BUY BUY DAMN YOU

This post has been brought to you by Uncle Stiffy's Man-Boosting Formula 200X.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe I'm a bad #millennial, but I like highlights shows even though I can see highlights anywhere on the internet. It's easier just to throw on the NHL recap show on NHL network than it is to go find each individual game online. I watch NHL Network for my hockey highlights and during baseball season there's MLB network which does a really good job. I stopped watching sportscenter about 8 years ago because that's when they started showing fewer highlights and began getting into more analysis which led to hot take artists which led to first take. I just want someone to run through the previous night's games with the key moments. Take about 3 minutes per game and move on. I don't care to hear two people fake shout about how something affects someone's legacy. That's sportscenter's other problem (FS1 too because they've inexplicably copied all the bad parts about espen) - Sports coverage on TV has gotten dumber while the coverage online is getting smarter. There's better places to see/read/hear sports discussion. 

Lastly, the sports I'm most interested in, hockey and baseball, are the least covered on Sportscenter. More like Basketball and Football Center amirite? I no longer need to sit through a Twolves-Clippers highlight to hope to see my baseball highlights. I can just go to the actual league's channel and there it is and it's better. It's kind of the best time to be a sports fan ever and sportscenter is getting more and more unnecessary. I don't think anything will save it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

26 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

DO NOT IGNORE RADIO ADS BUY BUY BUY DAMN YOU

This post has been brought to you by Uncle Stiffy's Man-Boosting Formula 200X.

Hey guys!  Do you suffer from low testosterone or Low T?  Kars 4 Kidz has the answer with our new CBS sitcom, Kevin Can Wait.  I'm Jim Rome.

twitter

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Hey guys!  Do you suffer from low testosterone or Low T?  Kars 4 Kidz has the answer with our new CBS sitcom, Kevin Can Wait.  I'm Jim Rome.

If our belly-flattening pills make your belly too flat, just take them every other day.

Archived