johnnysama

Pylons In The End Zone

Recommended Posts

johnnysama    293

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas posted in his Uni Watch blog that pylons weren't always used in the endzone to denote it. 

 

33167968691_e8aa9f566a_b.jpg

The above picture, from the late 1960s, is such an example of what was used before the pylons: Pointed flags! Which raises a Q on my end: When did they switch from flags to the pylons we see today in the endzones? Methinks sometime in the 1970s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dont care    1,439
6 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas posted in his Uni Watch blog that pylons weren't always used in the endzone to denote it. 

 

33167968691_e8aa9f566a_b.jpg

The above picture, from the late 1960s, is such an example of what was used before the pylons: Pointed flags! Which raises a Q on my end: When did they switch from flags to the pylons we see today in the endzones? Methinks sometime in the 1970s.

Yes that is where the term "flag route" came from because you use to be running towards the outside corner where the flag was, vs. a post route which ran toward the middle to the goal post. Not sure when the change was though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJWalker45    935

Weren't there still flags at the first couple Super Bowls? That may be a good starting point for figuring out the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jgiff17    105

At least there was some circular thing at the top for the players safety haha. I always knew this somehow or maybe I am just remembering my childhood when we would take the flags from the utility companies to mark off our endzones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milkman14    71
11 hours ago, dont care said:

Yes that is where the term "flag route" came from because you use to be running towards the outside corner where the flag was, vs. a post route which ran toward the middle to the goal post. Not sure when the change was though

I am so glad I read this as it makes a lot more sense than what I was explained as a child.  Obviously a post route was to the center of the field or the field goal post.  But it was explained to me that a flag route was to the corner because football fields would have a flag poll near one of the four corners.  Pre-internet 8 year old me believed this as an acceptable explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick Youtube search revealed that Super Bowl VI (Orange Bowl) had flags, but Super Bowl VII (Rose Bowl) had pylons. So I guess..... 1972?

 

The flags looks especially weird on artificial turf fields..... I wonder if the flags were harder to install on astroturf and maybe precipitated that change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sykotyk    296
1 hour ago, Down Under Husker said:

Quick Youtube search revealed that Super Bowl VI (Orange Bowl) had flags, but Super Bowl VII (Rose Bowl) had pylons. So I guess..... 1972?

 

The flags looks especially weird on artificial turf fields..... I wonder if the flags were harder to install on astroturf and maybe precipitated that change.

Very well could be the reason to change.

 

I'm curious though,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dont care    1,439
22 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Being that this is in the logo subforum,  how long until we see Nike Volt/Anthracite pylons, or hydrodipped goalposts?

likely never, only exception I can see is the pro bowl or some other specialty exhibition to match branding. but even then the pylons are such small details they would likely be overlooked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chcarlson23    549
44 minutes ago, dont care said:

likely never, only exception I can see is the pro bowl or some other specialty exhibition to match branding. but even then the pylons are such small details they would likely be overlooked.

I PLAY football, and I forget about those until gametime... Or of course when someone mentions them in a sports logos forums :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sykotyk    296

One question, what's the purpose of the pylons just beyond the endline? I couldn't remember whether it was NFL or college, but based on a quick search it's just college. They're not on the endline, they seem to be in line with the hashmarks. But, what exact purpose do they serve?

 

la-sp-usc-notre-dame-2005-html-20151017-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJWalker45    935
10 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Being that this is in the logo subforum,  how long until we see Nike Volt/Anthracite pylons, or hydrodipped goalposts?

I think they have to stay that color to aid the refs. They already brand them with game or league patches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pianoknight    1,200

I still want to see them get rid of physical goalposts and use laser beams instead. If the PAT or FG would have hit the uprights, or crosses the plane, it would explode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob5151    24
On 3/15/2017 at 6:58 PM, pianoknight said:

I still want to see them get rid of physical goalposts and use laser beams instead. If the PAT or FG would have hit the uprights, or crosses the plane, it would explode. 

 

The FoxTrax puck of football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayFinkle    77
On 3/14/2017 at 0:54 PM, jgiff17 said:

At least there was some circular thing at the top for the players safety haha. I always knew this somehow or maybe I am just remembering my childhood when we would take the flags from the utility companies to mark off our endzones...

 

LOL, that is AWESOME.

 

I remember using rocks, branches, a driveway being the endzone, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dont care    1,439
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:25 AM, Sykotyk said:

One question, what's the purpose of the pylons just beyond the endline? I couldn't remember whether it was NFL or college, but based on a quick search it's just college. They're not on the endline, they seem to be in line with the hashmarks. But, what exact purpose do they serve?

 

la-sp-usc-notre-dame-2005-html-20151017-

basically it helps the ref tell if the ball went out of bounds before or after the goal line. if the pylon gets knocked over then its a touchdown, if not the ball gets placed at the 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sykotyk    296
23 hours ago, dont care said:

basically it helps the ref tell if the ball went out of bounds before or after the goal line. if the pylon gets knocked over then its a touchdown, if not the ball gets placed at the 1.

I was talking about the end line pylons, not the goal line pylons.

 

See the two orange pylons almost directly below the goal posts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dont care    1,439
1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

I was talking about the end line pylons, not the goal line pylons.

 

See the two orange pylons almost directly below the goal posts?

Oh those are just to help umpires tell where the hash marks would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CLEstones    240
On 3/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, johnnysama said:

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas posted in his Uni Watch blog that pylons weren't always used in the endzone to denote it. 

 

33167968691_e8aa9f566a_b.jpg

The above picture, from the late 1960s, is such an example of what was used before the pylons: Pointed flags! Which raises a Q on my end: When did they switch from flags to the pylons we see today in the endzones? Methinks sometime in the 1970s.

 

 

Looking at this photo, it's truly amazing we haven't killed ourselves more... like on accident... as a human race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sec19Row53    434
52 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

 

 

Looking at this photo, it's truly amazing we haven't killed ourselves more... like on accident... as a human race.

Or there was always this. Ouch

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now