Pylons In The End Zone

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas posted in his Uni Watch blog that pylons weren't always used in the endzone to denote it. 

33167968691_e8aa9f566a_b.jpg

The above picture, from the late 1960s, is such an example of what was used before the pylons: Pointed flags! Which raises a Q on my end: When did they switch from flags to the pylons we see today in the endzones? Methinks sometime in the 1970s.

UBwef0L.png

6 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas posted in his Uni Watch blog that pylons weren't always used in the endzone to denote it. 

The above picture, from the late 1960s, is such an example of what was used before the pylons: Pointed flags! Which raises a Q on my end: When did they switch from flags to the pylons we see today in the endzones? Methinks sometime in the 1970s.

Yes that is where the term "flag route" came from because you use to be running towards the outside corner where the flag was, vs. a post route which ran toward the middle to the goal post. Not sure when the change was though

At least there was some circular thing at the top for the players safety haha. I always knew this somehow or maybe I am just remembering my childhood when we would take the flags from the utility companies to mark off our endzones...

11 hours ago, dont care said:

Yes that is where the term "flag route" came from because you use to be running towards the outside corner where the flag was, vs. a post route which ran toward the middle to the goal post. Not sure when the change was though

I am so glad I read this as it makes a lot more sense than what I was explained as a child.  Obviously a post route was to the center of the field or the field goal post.  But it was explained to me that a flag route was to the corner because football fields would have a flag poll near one of the four corners.  Pre-internet 8 year old me believed this as an acceptable explanation.

Quick Youtube search revealed that Super Bowl VI (Orange Bowl) had flags, but Super Bowl VII (Rose Bowl) had pylons. So I guess..... 1972?

The flags looks especially weird on artificial turf fields..... I wonder if the flags were harder to install on astroturf and maybe precipitated that change.

1 hour ago, Down Under Husker said:

Quick Youtube search revealed that Super Bowl VI (Orange Bowl) had flags, but Super Bowl VII (Rose Bowl) had pylons. So I guess..... 1972?

The flags looks especially weird on artificial turf fields..... I wonder if the flags were harder to install on astroturf and maybe precipitated that change.

Very well could be the reason to change.

I'm curious though,

Being that this is in the logo subforum,  how long until we see Nike Volt/Anthracite pylons, or hydrodipped goalposts?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

22 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Being that this is in the logo subforum,  how long until we see Nike Volt/Anthracite pylons, or hydrodipped goalposts?

likely never, only exception I can see is the pro bowl or some other specialty exhibition to match branding. but even then the pylons are such small details they would likely be overlooked.

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

likely never, only exception I can see is the pro bowl or some other specialty exhibition to match branding. but even then the pylons are such small details they would likely be overlooked.

I PLAY football, and I forget about those until gametime... Or of course when someone mentions them in a sports logos forums :P 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

One question, what's the purpose of the pylons just beyond the endline? I couldn't remember whether it was NFL or college, but based on a quick search it's just college. They're not on the endline, they seem to be in line with the hashmarks. But, what exact purpose do they serve?

la-sp-usc-notre-dame-2005-html-20151017-

10 hours ago, pianoknight said:

I think they have to stay that color to aid the refs. They already brand them with game or league patches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I still want to see them get rid of physical goalposts and use laser beams instead. If the PAT or FG would have hit the uprights, or crosses the plane, it would explode. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/15/2017 at 6:58 PM, pianoknight said:

I still want to see them get rid of physical goalposts and use laser beams instead. If the PAT or FG would have hit the uprights, or crosses the plane, it would explode. 

The FoxTrax puck of football

On 3/14/2017 at 0:54 PM, jgiff17 said:

At least there was some circular thing at the top for the players safety haha. I always knew this somehow or maybe I am just remembering my childhood when we would take the flags from the utility companies to mark off our endzones...

LOL, that is AWESOME.

I remember using rocks, branches, a driveway being the endzone, etc...

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:25 AM, Sykotyk said:

One question, what's the purpose of the pylons just beyond the endline? I couldn't remember whether it was NFL or college, but based on a quick search it's just college. They're not on the endline, they seem to be in line with the hashmarks. But, what exact purpose do they serve?

la-sp-usc-notre-dame-2005-html-20151017-

basically it helps the ref tell if the ball went out of bounds before or after the goal line. if the pylon gets knocked over then its a touchdown, if not the ball gets placed at the 1.

23 hours ago, dont care said:

basically it helps the ref tell if the ball went out of bounds before or after the goal line. if the pylon gets knocked over then its a touchdown, if not the ball gets placed at the 1.

I was talking about the end line pylons, not the goal line pylons.

See the two orange pylons almost directly below the goal posts?

On 3/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, johnnysama said:

Looking at this photo, it's truly amazing we haven't killed ourselves more... like on accident... as a human race.

52 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Looking at this photo, it's truly amazing we haven't killed ourselves more... like on accident... as a human race.

Or there was always this. Ouch

It's where I sit.

Archived