Portland Trail Blazers new logo

Gothamite

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, radchad said:

tbh I though italics were really fitting for a team called the "Trailblazers"

The italics weren't really the problem with the last set, it was the awkward pointed serifs on every letter and the mix between drop shadows and outlines that made the wordmarks look increasingly dated. The silver trim on the wordmarks and numbers on the home set didn't help, either. At least with this new set they kept the silver trim off of the wordmarks and numbers, resulting in a much cleaner look overall.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 7/29/2017 at 5:26 PM, Lights Out said:

Not bad, but the wordmarks should be outlined like the numbers.

yeah that is a really weird decision and it looks incomplete as a result. They either both need outlines or neither one gets outlines (my preference). 

I was also hoping taking silver out of the logo meant they were losing it from the stripes, but it's still there. 

Other than that it looks good. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

BOO ED SHEERAN BOO GAME OF THRONES RUINER

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

yeah that is a really weird decision and it looks incomplete as a result. They either both need outlines or neither one gets outlines (my preference). 

I was also hoping taking silver out of the logo meant they were losing it from the stripes, but it's still there. 

Other than that it looks good. 

Again, like I've said a few times before, I actually think they were smart to only outline the numbers. The wordmarks would just be too muddled with matching outlines, and the numbers, particularly those on the backs of the jerseys, would look a bit too plain without the thin red strokes. As far as the silver trim, I too would've preferred it to be completely eliminated from the primary uniforms, but I'm not surprised they kept it since it's still one of their official colors, albeit one of their secondary colors now. Keeping the silver trim limited to the neck/armhole trim and the sash stripe was a smart move IMO, and seems more fitting now that silver has been removed from primary color status.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

50 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The italics weren't really the problem with the last set, it was the awkward pointed serifs on every letter and the mix between drop shadows and outlines that made the wordmarks look increasingly dated. The silver trim on the wordmarks and numbers on the home set didn't help, either. At least with this new set they kept the silver trim off of the wordmarks and numbers, resulting in a much cleaner look overall.

I agree that the new font and outlining is cleaner and better.  I just miss the "edgy" feel that the italicized wordmarks provided.

16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Again, like I've said a few times before, I actually think they were smart to only outline the numbers.

If you're having to choose between outlining some elements and leaving others plain then you don't have the right font and you need to go back to Step 1 and start over instead of designing yourself into a corner. It's not "smart" when it looks like one of the elements was unfinished or an outline accidentally got turned off on illustrator. It looks like a mistake happened. I think it was a bad decision that was born out of other bad decisions throughout the design process.

The wordmarks would just be too muddled with matching outlines, and the numbers, particularly those on the backs of the jerseys, would look a bit too plain without the thin red strokes. 

If that's why they did it, it still doesn't look good. Your argument against an outline on the word-mark could also be applied to the numbers on the front. It's actually an argument against all outlines anywhere if taken to its hyperbolic end.  Now with all of that said, I reject your original premise - I don't think the word-mark looks too muddled with a red outline any more than it did before in the decades leading up to this when they had a drop shadow or an outline or both. In my mind they "solved" a problem that didn't exist (muddled word-mark) by creating a much worse real problem (visual disharmony between the numbers and letters). 

I agree with what Andrew Harrington said here: "What I can't stand is a number with trim paired with a word-mark that is the fill color of the number, but with no trim, or vice versa, I suppose. One always looks like an unfinished version of the other, like they just forgot to add the trim to the word-mark. That’s why what the Blazers have done here is bothering people."

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, truepg said:

Going with an outline on the numbers instead of the solid color drop-shadow was a downgrade in this case, since that is such a Blazers' thing.

Disagree.  Having a three-layer wordmark/numbers with only two layers in drop-shadow mode was really ugly.  The previous style looked like a wedge.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 3 weeks later...

From the 2K18 trailer, here's a look at the updated court for the Blazers:

IMG_6886.thumb.PNG.47d6693b5a1ca13582b7e4b44d5888eb.PNG

It's largely the same as the court they've been using for a few years now, but the new pinwheel is now at midcourt and the new wordmarks are on the baselines. In addition, instead of both baselines featuring the city and team name, it looks like they're returning to the format of having one baseline read "PORTLAND", while the other will presumably have "TRAIL BLAZERS" on it. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation of the updated court for the Blazers:

I wish they'd go back to the white keys they had in the late 80's and early 90's, but this is still a really solid look. The new pinwheel logo looks great at mid-court, and I like the switch back to having the city name on one baseline and the team name on the other.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Confirmation of the updated court for the Blazers:

I wish they'd go back to the white keys they had in the late 80's and early 90's, but this is still a really solid look. The new pinwheel logo looks great at mid-court, and I like the switch back to having the city name on one baseline and the team name on the other.

Is it just me or do the baselines feel off, with one side saying Portland and the other saying Trail Blazers? Should be Portland Trail Blazers on both ends.

50 minutes ago, The AFC South said:

Is it just me or do the baselines feel off, with one side saying Portland and the other saying Trail Blazers? Should be Portland Trail Blazers on both ends.

I actually disagree. Prior to this last court design of theirs, they'd never had the full team name on both baselines, instead having "BLAZERS" on both sides from 1988 through the mid 2000's, and "PORTLAND" on one side and "TRAIL BLAZERS" on the other from the late 2000's up until 2014. If anything, this last court design of theirs felt a bit foreign with the full teamname on both baselines, and it just seems a bit cleaner and more true to their past now.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to see the new alternates in reality. Other than that, I think I'll like them? I'm not sure yet. I'm mildly disappointed that they didn't continue the stripe arrangement from these alternates below. Other than switching the black and white on the wordmark and numbers, I thought this design was a nice modernizarion of the Blazers' trademark look. 

IMG_7361.GIF

IMG_7362.JPG

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived