HedleyLamarr

Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Corvus said:

 

Not sure they can keep this up unless Fleury returns soon. Their riding their 3rd string goalie. 

 

A little confused that they put Jason Garrison on waivers today. He's not that bad!

 

He's not Jason Garrison from Vancouver anymore. I can promise you that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I coveted Jason Garrison long ago (I think when he was a Panther) but I see now there's not much there but a big shot that usually misses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corvus said:

A little confused that they put Jason Garrison on waivers today. He's not that bad!

The other 30 GMs called George McPhee's bluff about hoarding 32 defensemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blackhawks are leading the league in getting outshot. We could use an upgrade at defense, such as a three-time champion with a reputation for blocking shots and taking men off the puck. I hear Phoenix has one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vegas played Colorado with a 3rd or 4th string goalie tonight.

 

Guess who won the game 7-0...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights are 8-1 to start their first season.

 

The expansion Washington Capitals won 8 games in their 80-game first season (74-75).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights are 8-1 to start their first season.

 

The expansion Washington Capitals won 8 games in their 80-game first season (74-75).

And if they had actually done their best to put together a team to compete this year, I wouldn't have really batted an eye. The fact that they've done it through injuries and dumb GM moves is borderline unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I snatched up Oscar Dansk in my fantasy league.

 

I'm sure they'll fall back down to earth eventually, but even if they keep a decent pace through the rest of the year, this is a wildcard playoff team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun fact: The Warriors have been in more fights then the Sharks this season(and I guess the Giants if you go back to May)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm glad I snatched up Oscar Dansk in my fantasy league.

 

I'm sure they'll fall back down to earth eventually, but even if they keep a decent pace through the rest of the year, this is a wildcard playoff team.

 

They won't and they aren't

 

Better teams than this have held higher places in the standings in like, December/January and still missed the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Vegas, the Vadim Shipachyov affair is a delight. Comes over at age 30 to make $4.5 million a year, can't make the team out of camp, refuses to report to the AHL, plays three games, gets sent down and refuses to report to Rosemont again, and is now suspended without pay.

 

He's going back to Russia to make his millions tax-free against lower-quality competition and to play in the Olympics. McPhee got swindled hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way this story can get more OITGDNHL and more 2017 is if he phishes the owners of the Panthers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming I'm right in what's going to happen, he made a little over $2.1 million for playing in three NHL games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing bonus + accumulated salary + terminated contract? He might come out a little ahead of that, a lot more if somehow they buy him out (tasty dead cap space).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Speaking of Vegas, the Vadim Shipachyov affair is a delight. Comes over at age 30 to make $4.5 million a year, can't make the team out of camp, refuses to report to the AHL, plays three games, gets sent down and refuses to report to Rosemont again, and is now suspended without pay.

 

He's going back to Russia to make his millions tax-free against lower-quality competition and to play in the Olympics. McPhee got swindled hard.

This summary is a little off base, as the initial demotion with Theodore was a product of those two not requiring waivers. He was granted permission to stay in Las Vegas with his family to continue workouts as he was going to be recalled as soon as possible. A paper transaction really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twi said:

This summary is a little off base, as the initial demotion with Theodore was a product of those two not requiring waivers. He was granted permission to stay in Las Vegas with his family to continue workouts as he was going to be recalled as soon as possible. A paper transaction really. 

 

Thanks for the clarification, as I am unfamiliar with the finer points of NHL cap/roster management nuttiness.

 

Anyway, Shipachyov's officially heading back home and getting a termination/buyout, per SportsNet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the Islanders keep playing well and the Rangers and Sabres keep struggling. Just so it makes the Rangers at Buffalo Winter Classic on Long Island look that much dumber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Oskar Dansk now hurt, the Knights are on their 4th-string goalie ten games into the season. Their new backup might be a 19-year-old in juniors, assuming he can swing the bus ride from Kamloops to Vancouver and then a cross-continental flight in time for tomorrow night's game at MSG. I'd sooner drum for Spinal Tap than play that net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now